Helpful Free eBook Suggestions?

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking the plunge and getting a Sony E-reader. I figure it'll help me do research while I nurse my broken leg. Does anyone know of any free ebooks that might help me? Especially on the subjects of:

Caribbean piracy
Smuggling
General nautical stuff, civilian or military
Farming in rural England
Commerial fishing in the Caribbean
Queen Anne's War, especially the Caribbean theater
Period names and/or genealogical stuff, especially Irish, Scottish, Spanish, and Welsh
Period slang, especially English
(language)/English dictionaries
Caribbean natural history, especially in the area of Jamaica and Haiti

These need to cover the 17th-18th Centuries, especially in the 1680-1730 range, though they don't have to be written/published during that time. If you can think of anything else that might be of use, go ahead and suggest it. If you don't know if something has an ebook version, suggest it anyway and I'll look for it. Thanks!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Whoops!

Forgot about that, pdr. :e2smack: May I blame it on the Oxicodone?

I took a glace there just now. Didn't see some of the specific subjects, but it looks like there's some other goodies that might help. Thanks!

khalleron

Kate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehalleron.com
Congrats on the Sony! I have two, but I use my PRS-505 almost exclusively. I'm never without it.

Sounds to me like you need to go to Google Books. Over a million public domain books in ePub format, all free!

OK, sometimes there are OCR errors, but I can usually read around them. I found it a priceless resource while researching my own Victorian-era WIP novel.

Plus, I just love old books, especially ones no one else reads. I've been running barefoot through that collection for months. A million books! Free!

Gotta love it!