AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Printer] 48hrbooks.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Printer] 48hrbooks.com

Has anyone here had experience with 48hrbooks.com, and if so, what was it? A friend has published with this POD company and the product looks good, but posts about POD companies indicate that POD's often aren't consistent in what they produce. I want to publish a small quantity of 175-page books, and 48hrbooks looks interesting.

I look over the site and wasnt to impressed by it. Though I'm kind of curious as to what everyone else has to say

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I've ported this thread in from Self-Publishing and POD as it seems to me to be a better fit here. Carry on as you were.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    They seem pretty good on a brief lookover, they don't look like they're trying to promise anything unreasonable. I like that they explain that the two-day guarantee is their production time and doesn't include shipping time, so people don't get unrealistic expectations. My only question would be how do their prices compare to similar outfits.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Thanks for the feedback. I checked with my friend, and she and her husband have used 48hrbooks three more times with good results. However, she says that they are particularly good for short runs, which is what I'm planning. For longer runs they are looking into another company.

Bumping up this thread because suddenly 48hr books seems to be advertising everywhere (including on AW). A google search of the name produces a first page of results that include glowing reviews which seem almost too perfect. I'm suspicious of a printer advertising this aggressively, but have not heard anything bad about the printer and their terms seem good on the surface, if a POD printer is what you want. Am I being too cynical?

practical experience, FTW John Olexa's Avatar
    I checked them out on the BBB site and they have an A+ rating with them. 1 complaint and it added, issue resolved or something to that affect.
    20 year Animal Rights Advocate
    Nature & Wildlife Photographer
    Author, hopefully!!

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    I used them a couple of years ago; if you know what you're doing, for smaller runs, I'd use them instead of LS.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Quote Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
    I used them a couple of years ago; if you know what you're doing, for smaller runs, I'd use them instead of LS.
    Thanks for the info! If I might ask, for what reasons do you prefer them to LS? And at what point to larger runs get unmanageable, and why?

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblingSage View Post
    Thanks for the info! If I might ask, for what reasons do you prefer them to LS? And at what point to larger runs get unmanageable, and why?
    It wasn't so much unmanageable as they didn't have the capacity for more than a couple thousand in fairly short order.

They were faster and cheaper than LS (I started using LS in the 1990s for software manuals and festschrifts) for smaller runs of a couple hundred. They worked with us in terms of getting the color just right for covers.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?