Iceland aims to become an offshore haven for journalists and leakers

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
On Tuesday, the Icelandic parliament is expected to introduce a measure aimed at making the country an international center for investigative journalism publishing, by passing the strongest combination of source protection, freedom of speech, and libel-tourism prevention laws in the world.

Supporters of the proposal say the move would make Iceland an “offshore publishing center” for free speech, analogous to the offshore financial havens that allow corporations to hide capital from authorities.
Full story here.

A blow for individual rights? An interesting aspect of globalization? Free-market competition between nation-states? What other guarantees of freedom might a nation offer as relocation incentives?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Which forward thinking country will be the fist to corner the market on the "Right to Blow Myself Up" crowd?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm fine with blowing yourself up. Just so long as you do it in an enclosed space several miles away from city limits.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I've been to Iceland and thought it was a great place even tho' I'm about a foot shorter than most of the people there. The winters are milder than in the Twin Cities, too. I'd lose weight, too since food is too expensive to afford.

Any advance for freedom of the press is OK with me.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ok with advancing freedom of the press, as long as people who say things are accountable for what they say. In other words, if you spew bullshit about me, you better be able to back it up, or else face a lawsuit for libel.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I'm ok with advancing freedom of the press, as long as people who say things are accountable for what they say. In other words, if you spew bullshit about me, you better be able to back it up, or else face a lawsuit for libel.

Backing it up is what the media has been about since the U.S. came into being. Without the media, the U.S. would be nothing.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Backing it up is what the media has been about since the U.S. came into being. Without the media, the U.S. would be nothing.

Except this story is out of Iceland, not the U.S.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
thumb.gif