Agent Said No

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally heard back from the agent today. She said it "broke her heart" to say no but that she still thought SWEETNESS was too quiet for the current market. She said she thinks adults will love the book but that kids might become too impatient with it. She also said it felt like I had too much going on. There's the bird, the cat, a dog and her mom's soon-to-be-husband. I called myself adding layers and depth and weaving it all seamlessly, but she didn't see it that way. She was quite nice in her rejection, asking me to keep her in mind for future projects.

I'm not really sure what to make of all this. While I respect her insight and opinion, my heart tells me the book can still sell. I queried another agent last week and was asked to submit two chapters. After reading the chapters, he requested the full. I had planned to submit it today (he wants it mailed) but got snowed in by a storm last night. I'll send it on Monday. If he too says the same thing, I'll probably set it aside for a while and focus on my YA book. Maybe with a little romance, fighting and horrific visions I'll stand a better chance.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hedgetrimmer - I'm so sorry to hear your disappointing news, and so I'll send over some virtual brownies as soon as they cool down. Oh, wait, you're a guy, and I'm not sure if chocolate works the same way with guys as it does with us gals.

I know first-hand how hard it is to even get agents to look at the quieter books right now, and I keep waiting for a turn-around in the market. Surely it will happen someday, so just keep writing from your heart. I can't wait until I see SWEETNESS on the shelf at my local B&N, and I can say, like Elf, "Hey, I know him!"

Really am sorry, all kidding aside.

Sissy

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Oh, man that stinks!

I wouldn't give up on it though. Even if you start focusing on your YA book, you could still work on this too. The 'many-times rejected' bestseller has happened so many times that it's almost a proverb.

I can't imagine how disappointing this must be (I've never made it that far). But keep at it. It sounds like she really liked it, so maybe the next agent will fall in love with it.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
Bad luck is all it is. I've read enough of your stuff to know it's not bad writing. Keep sending it out there and better luck next time!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, Hedge, but don't give up. Keep sending it out. You wouldn't have gotten this close if you didn't have something special. I mean, another full request, that's really positive news (bummer about the snail mail, tho).

Good luck!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Valuable, valuable feedback should not be ignored. The fact that she loves your story, should weigh in heavily for you. She's telling you, you're a good writer and storyteller and that you need to change it for her market in a certain way.

The decision you have to make as to whether to change it the way she encourages you to, will come if and when you get rejected from other agents as well. Particularly if they tell you the same thing.

Bear in mind, Agents have markets they submit to. They know what they are doing. So figure out if you are willing to change your story for the market and try not to get to "precious" over your work.

If your object in writing is to be published, concessions have to be made.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I say, if many agents (and/or betas) are telling you the same thing, you probably need to change it. If only one is, you have to decide whether the advice makes sense for your novel. At one point, I had two agents asking me to make major revisions on one of my novels. Both required a massive rewrite. One made absolute sense to me, the other seemed ridiculous. Obviously, I went with the one that made sense.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. Yeah, I understand that she's the professional and has her finger directly on the pulse of the industry, and I certainly am amenable to rewriting my story to make it more marketable. After all, I took her initial advice and rewrote the book once. But, in all honesty, I really don't know what else to do with it at this point.

The agent who just requested the full is a much more seasoned agent. He's been in the game for five years and before that worked as an editor at S&S and HapersCollins for many years. I mention that not to diminish her own perspective (I think she knows her stuff) but that he simply may have stronger contacts and is in a better position to get the book on the right editor's desk.

Now if he also passes and gives similar feedback, then I really am at a lost, as at this point I just don't know what else to do with it. But I certainly am not giving up on it. It's my favorite project, and I really think there's a market for it. All I can do is send it off again and see what happens.

Oh, and Sissy. I'm not really a brownie kind of guy. But if you could bake a red velvet cake and send it my way. Ummmmmmm.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Why not? I rewrote my memoir in a few weeks after a bit af angst, and got the first agent I queried. You've probably tinkered with it enough to blow right through.

Sorry about the R.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hedge, I'm so sorry. I got a very painful editorial rejection that said much the same thing, and I only have one editor left still considering right now. It's a reality that editors and agents aren't taking many chances on anything but books that could blow up to be huge.

Keep sending out Sweetness, but keep working on your new book... It sounds like your writing isn't the problem -- it's fitting into this weird market. Either the market will change eventually or you'll hit the right notes to sell...

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hon I'm so sorry! But at least you have this other request, you must be doing something right right? Even your rejection wasn't as bad as all that. You obviously have the goods.

But.

I hate to say it, but maybe this just isn't your break out book. I hate to say it because so many people said the same about the recent book I was trying to sell (okay, yes, I had an agent, but editors were rejecting it left right and centre) and it was the absolute worst thing ever for me to hear. Got me really angry. Finally in a fit of fury I sat down and wrote something totally to market. Totally not what I really wanted to write, but something I knew people were looking for. It actually turned out to be a book I'm very proud of and which now is on submission with I think a lot more potential to sell.

That other MS of mine still exists, and I am determined to sell it, but that might have to wait a bit. In the meantime, sometimes we just have to move on.

Obviously you really don't feel there is much more you can do on this one. It might be time to try your hand at another one. And you know what? When you realise you can write something a bit more marketable and still not feel like you're compromising, when you realise you can write something else in the first place? That's a pretty amazing feeling.

Being an author is about more than just one book.

The bad news is your work has been rejected. The good news is you as an author have not.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's great to have a forum where everybody understands what I'm feeling right now.

Kelli, I can only imagine how hard that must be. It's difficult enough landing an agent, but to then find an editor interested in the project and have the revisions rejected must be maddening. I hope the last editor on the list sends you good news.

Toothpaste, I agree with you completely. I too have thought that maybe this book will have to be something I get published later. If the market isn't tolerant of it, I would be a fool to keep banging on the door. I'll wait and see what this other agent says before I shelve it, yet once again.

I'm hoping my YA thriller is something "bigger" and "louder" and overall more commercial. I recently completed a rewrite of it, bringing the line count from 37,000 to just over 60,000. I've corresponded with an editor agreeing to take a look at it. Maybe this one will get me inside the house. Then when they aren't looking, I'll whip Sweetness out of my back pocket.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep going with it! If at first you don't succeed....

The opinion of one agent is not law. Nothing would get published if we trashed each work with the first rejection.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
While I agree that the opinion of one agent isn't law, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what they have to say. Seasoned or not, they ARE an agent that you felt you wanted to represent you.

If you just randomly picked someone and it was a totally arbitrary decision to have them be the first one you sent your MS to, then okay, fair enough, see what others say.

But if you have researched this person and admired them for the work they do, it's unwise to just cast out what they say because it didn't go along with your vision for your work.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
While I agree that the opinion of one agent isn't law, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what they have to say. Seasoned or not, they ARE an agent that you felt you wanted to represent you.

If you just randomly picked someone and it was a totally arbitrary decision to have them be the first one you sent your MS to, then okay, fair enough, see what others say.

But if you have researched this person and admired them for the work they do, it's unwise to just cast out what they say because it didn't go along with your vision for your work.

I totally agree. But to be clear, I didn't seek this agent out. She actually approached me after reading my work in SYW. And I'm not dismissing her opinions, and certainly am not bitter, as your post seems to insinuate. But the truth remains that more seasoned agents do have stronger contacts and perhaps can get projects pushed through that a newer agent can't. I think that's a fact.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree. But to be clear, I didn't seek this agent out. She actually approached me after reading my work in SYW. And I'm not dismissing her opinions, and certainly am not bitter, as your post seems to insinuate. But the truth remains that more seasoned agents do have stronger contacts and perhaps can get projects pushed through that a newer agent can't. I think that's a fact.
I never insinuate. I am quite capable of saying what I mean.

I didn't think you were bitter just taken back and acting defensive. You said:
Well, I finally heard back from the agent today. She said it "broke her heart" to say no but that she still thought SWEETNESS was too quiet for the current market. She said she thinks adults will love the book but that kids might become too impatient with it. She also said it felt like I had too much going on. There's the bird, the cat, a dog and her mom's soon-to-be-husband. I called myself adding layers and depth and weaving it all seamlessly, but she didn't see it that way.
I'm trying to encourage you to be a bit more open-minded to see where's she's coming from.

Thinking it's a fact doesn't make it one. And the truth is, truth is perspective at best. Although a seasoned agent should have strong contacts, it doesn't necessarily mean they are stronger contacts. They may or may not have more. It depends on the newer agent and if they are hungry enough to go after just as many and as strong a contact.

And if she's reading the forums, and I were her, I'd be a bit miffed by this discussion as you've actually been dismissive when you cast a negative light on her by saying she's not a seasoned agent as though her opinion isn't worth as much weight.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hedge, I didn't think you sounded bitter or dismissive. The line Cassopeia cited sounded like self-deprecating humor to make light of a deferred (not broken) dream.

You have a full out, you have a rollicking new WIP, you're doing all the right things.

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
And if she's reading the forums, and I were her, I'd be a bit miffed by this discussion as you've actually been dismissive when you cast a negative light on her by saying she's not a seasoned agent as though her opinion isn't worth as much weight.

I hardly think I'm casting a negative light on her, especially as I haven't even named her. But I still maintain that it's a reality in the publishing industry that veteran agents do have stronger contacts. Whether that will make any difference in my situation is unknown. But agents by their own admission reject projects because they don't have connections to the right editors, but know other agents who do.

That I took her initial feedback seriously and revised my manuscript, I would think, suggests that I haven't dismissed her input. And I haven't gotten the impression from anyone else here that my comments have been dismissive.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I hardly think I'm casting a negative light on her, especially as I haven't even named her.
not naming her doesn't mean she won't feel slighted by the fact you labeled her as inexperienced. just sayin'.

And I haven't gotten the impression from anyone else here that my comments have been dismissive.
and of course that in no ways says that because I'm a minority my opinion doesn't have any merit. ;)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up hope, Hedgetrimmer. It took me ages to get an agent, and ages for her to find my book a home, but it happened and I couldn't be happier. You've gotten a lot of positive feedback, so hold on to that. It's a tough market, but it only means things may take longer than you think to work out. :)

Khanada

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear your news, Hedge - hang in there. "Query widely", right? Keep it out there, and keep writing while you're waiting. And have some cake.

Day O'

Registered
Reaction score
Really sorry to to hear your news:( From what you said, I think I know who has the other full request. Can I PM you about it? He's got mine too.