• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Altair Australia Books / Altair Australia Literary Agency

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen this? He's an ex-authonomy guy with a bad attitude who has started a POD/Literary agency/editing service--all in one.

This was taken from his website. It's since been removed when someone questioned him about it.

If wanting to self publish under the Altair Australia Books imprint the cost will be prohibitive. $3000 including cover artwork by well known Australian artist Conny Valentina. This gets 50 books, 10 of which remain with Altair Australia Books for shipping from website sales -- Altair takes no royalty from these book sales. All future books for author will be sold at cost + 10%. Though we will do this we do not recommend it for works that could compete on the open market - or works that are under developed and the authors is new to the writing business.

Books published via self funded method will need to be of the highest standard due to the number of top flight professionals on our list. If extra editing, beyond reasonable work, is required then a fee of $50 per hour will apply -- most books do not fall into the category. (Average extra time - 10 hours)

We also do not offer free publishing advice - we have spent 11 years learning the trade, many tough and costly lessons. Email advice is offered, but please understand, this is by prior arrangement and is charged at $50 an email.

When questioned he answered this:
that posting is to put people off using AAB _ I get requests every week to do a book with me and it was clear just saying no wasn't enough. $3000 is a rediculous amount and on seeing it would be authors simply go away

He strikes me as an idiot that simply has no idea what he's talking about but it concerns me because some people seem to be believing it.

The link to the autonomy thread is here:
http://www.authonomy.com/Forum/Posts.aspx?forumId=6&threadId=47354&pageNumber=1

And here's his website. http://www.altair-australia.com/

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Stephenson has offered writers' services for years. He's eccentric, but he isn't ignorant of the industry.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago he took a story of mine and made the rounds but couldn't get anyone to nibble. He seemed to make a pretty good effort and he was very encouraging, but it just didn't happen.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Having an associated self-publishing service is a serious conflict of interest issue for a literary agency, unless there's an impenetrable wall between the two operations--i.e., agency clients can never use the self-pub service, and self-pub service clients can never be picked up by the agency.

I agree with him that $3,000 (I'm assuming AUD, which would work out to about $2,600 USD) is an absurdly hefty price tag for just 50 books. So why on earth have those kinds of prices? Who runs a business that way?

- Victoria

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Today I discovered this from Robert Stephenson.

"As a Highly Respected, Successful International Literary Agent, I am Offering YOU this Challenge:

“Follow my advice to the letter, let me
help you write a bestseller and
I will be your agent!

If it’s your sincere lifelong ambition to write a bestseller...
... then we need to TALK!
It's all in aid of selling his ebook entitled The Writing Soldier, Writing to Be a Best Seller. The ebook costs $19.95.
All I can say is...wow.

- Victoria

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Gorn2.gif

Snarl...