How to write thoughts in MG

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
Could someone please tell me the correct way to write thoughts in middle grade? I'm getting so many different answers and want to get it right. Do I have to put thoughts in italics? Or add : ' she thought’? I’m trying to write it with Deep POV. I don’t want to get it wrong and would appreciate any help

I prefer to write it this way as I’ve seen it done in many popular MG books, but I’ve had comments telling me this is wrong and should add a thought tag or use italics. I don't use either most of the time. I sometimes add 'she thought' or I use this method:
She tapped her mouth and thought for a moment. Hmm, that's it. I'll hide it in my backpack.

Mostly I write thoughts this way. Here is an excerpt from my manuscript>>

Molly climbed out the car and trotted behind her father towards the animal hospital. Surely Grandma wouldn’t let Furble anywhere near Tiddles again. And setting him free at the riverbank would be worse. The foxes and dingos would eat him for sure. Why couldn’t Furble just stay at their house? Adults were stupid sometimes. Maybe the vet would understand and tell Daddy to let Molly keep Furble. After all, she rescued him, didn’t she?

Are italics allowed in MG novels? I know they're not in chapter books, but I'm not sure about MG.

Personally, I prefer not to use them as I use italics for emphasis and wouldn't want to confuse the readers.

Thanks,

Trish.

Last edited:

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Trish -

Actually, I do it both ways. I highlight thoughts that I want to stand out. Here's an example from my current MS:

"Whatever." What universe is she in, anyway? They rode in silence for several miles. Chester thought about the candy and chips he'd hidden in his luggage. There was no way he was going to suffer for four weeks without his favorite snacks.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Irene. So you can use italics in MG? But what if you don't want to, is that wrong?

You have put some of the thoughts in italics, I don't use them for thoughts at all. Is that allowed too?

Thanks,

Trish.

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
I use italics. But I think an editor would take care of that for you, in any case; I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with kd. It's a personal thing for the writer. I like to use italics once in a while to give emphasis to a specific thought. If you're uncomfortable with them, then don't use them.

Irene

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kdber, but I have OCD, so I do worry. LOL. I want to get it right before an editor reads it. If it's wrong, they might sling it in the slush pile and think I should go and learn how to write properly.

Thanks anyway.

Trish.

Danthia

I'd worry a little, because clarity is an issue and you wan to make it clear no matter what you do. You can use italics (I do), you can do the "she thought" or you can write it as internal thought. If you go from third person to first person with no visual clue (italics or quotations) I think it'll look very odd and confuse readers. (opinions may vary)

She tapped her mouth. Hmm, that's it. I'll hide it in my backpack.

She tapped her mouth and thought, "Hmm, that's it. I'll hide it in my backpack."

She tapped her mouth and thought for a moment. Hmm, that was it. She'd hide it in her backpack.

All three work, and you can mix and match if you want.

I think your second example is fine.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The excerpt from you book is fine. I was not confused a bit that this is what she is thinking.

As for italic's, I would only use them when you want to highlight a brief thought, such as the example used by ILsintex did. In that example, you have dialogue mixed with internal thoughts, so the italic's highlighted a snide thought from the rest. If done well, the readers see's her character without the writer getting in the way. IMHO

Now, as far as editors are concerned, from what I understand, they edit according to their inhouse style. Unless you have experience with a particular publisher to know their style, then you are not going to know before hand. With agents, they generally know where to submit to based on experience with the publishers and agents, and they will send your work to the best fit...

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I think Danthia's examples are great, except that most editors agree that thoughts shouldn't be quotes because then they appear to be spoken.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellion 92, I haven't read any MG books lately where thoughts were in quotes. Wouldn't that confuse young readers? My manuscript is aimed at eight to eleven year olds. How would they identify thoughts from speach?

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Trish, I said thoughts should NOT be in quotes. I agree with you.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
kellion 92, I haven't read any MG books lately where thoughts were in quotes. Wouldn't that confuse young readers? My manuscript is aimed at eight to eleven year olds. How would they identify thoughts from speach?

Just a shot in the dark, but if the quote was tagged by 'he thought' vs. 'he said' - that'd be a clear indicator of thought vs. speech.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to disagree too strongly with Danthia because she is published and I'm not, so maybe she writes thoughts that way with lots of success, but most sources and styles limit the use of quotation marks to speech, not internal dialogue. Of course, some successful writers, like Junot Diaz, don't use quotation marks at all. Then again, Diaz doesn't write for 12-year-olds might have difficulty with the unorthodox use of punctuation.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ooops, so sorry, kellion 92. I should have read it properly. I've been on my computer too long and should call it a day. It's 4am here in Australia. I will go to bed.

Thanks for the help everyone, and once again. I do apologize, kellion 92. I hope I didn't make your blood boil.

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks abctriplets. I've read some children's books where writers have used quotation marks for thoughts, but I think it could be confusing to children. I suppose it's all down to taste. I'm trying not to use quotations or italics and didn't want to write it wrong.

I appreciate all the comments. They're all helpful. Thank you.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
No worries, she typed. And thought :)

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Trish wrote:

I've read some children's books where writers have used quotation marks for thoughts, but I think it could be confusing to children.

Trish, trust me. Kids understand a lot more than you are giving them credit for.

Kids today don't need to be walked through a book. They understand things that we didn't when we were their age.

The best of luck to you. I LOVE Molly.

Good Luck,

Irene

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I don't put thoughts in quotes.

That's odd, he thought. :)

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
We're talking about punctuation. No one is doubting the sophistication of young readers.

Schmendrick

With the most awesome modesty ever!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fordcreativemedia.com
I have to agree. Whenever I see a non-quotation statement in italics, I instantly think we're going omniscient and listening to the character's thoughts. So, if that's the effect you're going for, I'd say the italics are the winner. I use them in my novels, and it really seems to get the point across.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's more than one "correct" way to do it. Therefore we have confusion!

What matters is that the writing is clear. So, if a character's thoughts are constantly intruding, italics might make it easier to follow. If it only happens now and then, simply tagging them with, she thought, is probably adequate. Quotation marks are for speech, so I wouldn't use them for thoughts--unless your character can read other people's minds, maybe...though I've usually seen italics used for that...oh, it can get complicated...

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to use italics for internal thought when it comes to my own style of writing. This way it stands out and generally tells the reader something they otherwise would not know. For fantasy or sci-fi that involves characters speaking mind to mind or telepathically, I use quotes and italics.