Guns in MG

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Quick question on the use of guns in a Middle Grade novel. I had a scene in my WIP where the bad guy raises a gun menacingly. One scene in the whole book, no shots fired, etc.

But now I am expanding a few areas of the book, and it seems I now need the bad guy to be holding my 12yr old MC hostage at gunpoint. No shots fired or anything either.

So the question is, how much is too much? Where does the line get drawn these days?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I not only have my villain hold a gun to an 11 yearold's head, I have him try to shoot one person and failing. And then he shoots at that same kid later on and succeeds. This novel was published by the way, and not one single person along the process even mentioned this as an issue. Heck, even mentioned it at all.

You're fine. :)

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
The fear/threat of death is fine in MG as long as there's not an overexposure to death or the characters are blazee about it. If death happens, the whole story should centre around it.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
It's okay to use guns in MG books, if it is believable for the bad guy to have one. Just make sure that you don't glorify them. I've read plenty of kid's books that had guns in them at some point, but they still got published.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Thanks, now that toothpaste gave her example again, I sort of recall that we've discussed this in the past.

I think I was just having a over-reacting-parent-freak-out moment envisioning my kids reading this in 10 years. As it is now, I've started skipping pages with violence in kids books that I read my 2yr olds :)

As an aside - speaking of over-sheltering kids. My sister shielded her son from all sorts of violence (not watching the news etc.). Recently she switched him to a new preschool. After the first day of school he came home and excitedly told her, "I played with Max, and we played bad guys. I had a gub!"

So now in our house, bad guys will forever wield gubs :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT is another example of a series in which the good guy has a gun. And uses it, often.

The more fantastical your book's reality, the more you can get away with, I think.