AGENT CALLED! What do I do?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, and it will possibly all fizzle anyway, but I am not sure how to proceed.

I got a call from an agent who expressed interest in a PB text I sent - so far I've been very selective in sending it out.

Said agent has asked to see more of my work. Actually, whatever I've written. For longer works, said agent wants 50 pages, for PBs and Chapter Books, the whole ms.

I'm dumbfounded, but don't know if I should really send ALL - I mean, I have a couple of MG's that aren't complete. Surely not those.

Anyone have any advice? I think my heart has slowed down enough that I can comprehend your answers for the most part.

Thanks. (I keep forgetting to breathe!)

Sissy

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Send whatever's finished with a note asking if he/she wants to see your in progress stuff, too.

Who's the agent? Please???

(rep-share if you don't want to post on the open board.)

And CONGRATS!

:snoopy:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this, and it will possibly all fizzle anyway, but I am not sure how to proceed.

I got a call from an agent who expressed interest in a PB text I sent - so far I've been very selective in sending it out.

Said agent has asked to see more of my work. Actually, whatever I've written. For longer works, said agent wants 50 pages, for PBs and Chapter Books, the whole ms.

I'm dumbfounded, but don't know if I should really send ALL - I mean, I have a couple of MG's that aren't complete. Surely not those.

Anyone have any advice? I think my heart has slowed down enough that I can comprehend your answers for the most part.

Thanks. (I keep forgetting to breathe!)

Sissy

What Cyia said. Send what is done and polished. If it's rough, and that's all you have or think it's your most promising, send it with a note that it is the first draft. And ask if the agent wants work in progress samples.

And rep me too, please, if you don't mind. :)

Good luck!

~suki

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck! That is so awesome!

Rep? Pweese? With an extra cherry and sugar on top?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't do any of what these people tell you to do, until I was done doing this :snoopy:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy:That's super exciting, Sissy!

I have no suggestions, but I wanted to say congrats! And keep us posted.

A call? Like, as in a telephone call? That's so cool.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, how exciting!

Definitely send what you have all polished up. If you have a lot of stuff that's polished, choose five or six to send. And as Cyia suggested, include a note about the in-progress stuff.

Then...CELEBRATE! Even if this doesn't lead to an offer of representation, this is still really fun and cool!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
You are all so absolutely wonderful for the response. And for the help and encouragement many of you have provided over the last couple of years.

Yes, I know I may be hyperventillating (sp?) ahead of schedule, but I can't help it. Sure, I've been asked for partials and even fulls a few times, but I've never had an agent call me on the phone! I was very nearly speechless, and I'm still not sure I uttered a single sentence that might have been anywhere near coherent. It was just so unexpected, especially for a PB - actually, it's even more bizarre than that, but I'll save the rest for later.

And heartfelt apologies, but I can't drop any names at this point - please try to understand. I just don't feel it would be the most ethical thing for me - it would make me feel very guilty.

Has a call from an agent ever made anyone else feel like they might puke? In a good way, I mean, if that makes ANY sense at all.

Anyway, thanks so much for making me feel even better than I already did.

Sissy

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
No worries! I completely understand. :D

And just thinking about an agent calling me makes me want to puke-- I think I'd pass out if I ever talk to one. Lol.

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, you've already received some great advice, but I just want to toss this into the mix. The agent is obviously interested in your PB, but because she is asking about other work, I suspect the PB is probably only a foot in the door. The PB market is still very soft (from what I'm reading on blogs), and even in good times agents don't make much commission from them.

She is probably hoping your MG work is just as appealing. Personally, I can't remember any of your PBs from SYW, but I do recall your novels and have been impressed with the stuff you've posted.

As others have said, be upfront about your longer projects not being complete, but polish them as much as you can before sending them off. It might also be a good idea to sketch out an outline (if you haven't done so) just in case she wants to know where the novels are ultimately going.

But relax. She already thinks your PB is good. Now show her your novels are even better.

Donnettetxgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donnettesmith.com
Sissybaby, that is so awesome! I hope this agent offers to rep you. He/she certainly was interested enough to pick up the phone & call you. Your project must have made him/her excited.

I had the same thing happen to me week before last. This agent said some wonderful things about my book (things I thought I'd never hear an agent say). It was truly an amazing experience. Unlike anything else. I didn't puke. But by the time I got off the phone, I was laughing with joy to the point I couldn't talk. My husband kept standing there asking who was on the phone. All I could do was get one word out & start laughing again. It certainly gets the heart to beating wildly.

The agent who called is the one I was hoping would take interest. That's another thing that made it so incredible. I do have to say though, a few days leading up to that phone call, everytime my phone rang I kept thinking it might be an agent. Which is really unlike me to think that way. And when he did call, as soon as he asked for me, I knew exactly who he was without him saying another word. I don't know how I knew. It was the strangest thing.

Like Libbie stated, even if the agent doesn't offer representation in the end (which is a possibility that's been driving me nuts lately), it's still a really cool thing to have happened. The wonderful things he said about my story & my writing made me feel incredible. There's not a whole lot of things that have the potential to do such drastic things to you like the phone call of an agent.

Best of luck to you, Sissybaby. I hope you get that contract.

Donnette Smith
www.freewebs.com/romanceauthor
www.myspace.com/storycreater

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after you do what everybody else suggested, I think the next thing you do is go out and celebrate with the drink/dessert of your choice. Congratulations!!!!

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Wow that's great! I haven't gotten to the point where anything I have is good enough to send out yet, but when I do, I can't wait to have a similar experience :)

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
WELL DONE!!!
However you're writing, you're doing it right. Don't let your style change now!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This is awesome! I hope it works out for you. :D

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
Has a call from an agent ever made anyone else feel like they might puke? In a good way, I mean, if that makes ANY sense at all.

When my agent first called me, she left me a voicemail and I had to call her back. Read: I dialed six numbers, hung up, tried not to puke. Dialed eight numbers, hung up, tried not to puke. Dialed one number, hung up, tried not to puke. LOL -- if you can't tell, I just don't do well on the phone.

But the phone call was not scary in the least, once I made it through all the numbers! This is good news! (So try not to puke. But nobody would blame you if you did. :) )

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one!

Continued thanks for all the well wishes. You all rock!

Sissy

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
congrats Sissy, hope the agent takes you on board.

I'd given up submitting PBs to agents but maybe its time to start again.