• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on sending a story to Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, and I have a question regarding the submission process.

I have formatted my story in the prescribed manner. The writers' guidelines specifically state that they do not want a cover letter or separate title page--author contact information (name, address, byline if different) is to be included at the top of the first page of the story. All well and good...

But what about my publishing credit? Yes, that's singular as I only have one, but I would like to include it; however, AHMM writers' guidelines say nothing about wanting to see it. They also say that they read every story they receive, so maybe that's why they don't care about publishing credits--perhaps they want to read each story and accept/reject in an unbiased fashion based totally on the quality of the writing (Hmm, what a concept...).

So I ask the Editor, what do I do: Shoehorn my publishing credit beneath my contact information on the first page; or leave it out since they don't ask to see it? I'm leaning toward the latter, for it's rarely good to give a publisher something they don't ask for. However, I would like to include my credit as it's legit and I worked very hard to get it. Any advice appreciated!

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I would submit exactly as they ask you to. They are interested in the story you're submitting, period. I've tried to get into that market and never made it. They're tough but it's worth trying. When I submitted, I had about 100 published credits - and I didn't mention them. AH doesn't care - they are ONLY interested in the story.

So, go for it - and do come back and let us all know how you made out.

Carlene
www.manicreaders.com/CarleneRaeDater

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The writer's guidelines do not state that they don't want a cover letter, only that a cover letter is unnecessary. Different thing. Many of the selling writers do send a cover letter, when they have something to say they believe the editor should know. I often send along a cover letter, as well, if I have a new, worthy credit that's I'd like the editor to mention in the bio, should the story be published.

It never does any harm to mention relevant credits, and can make any editor read your story with more hope than she would otehrwise.

About 99% of cover letters say nothing except "Here's my story. Hope you like it." That's pointless. Others try to explain the story, or tell why it was written, how the writer came up with the idea, etc. That's worse than useless. Both are time wasters.

You should go over and participate in the forum they have. Linda Landrigan, editor of Alfred Hitchcock, and Janet Hutchings, editor or Ellery Quenn, both participate, and are very, very good at answering questions from new writers.

Last edited:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com

It never does any harm to mention relevant credits, and can make any editor read your story with more hope than she would otehrwise.

I agree but be sure the credit is indeed relevant. Citing a credit in a totally different genre or type of writing won't mean that much; a fiction credit in the same genre will.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree but be sure the credit is indeed relevant. Citing a credit in a totally different genre or type of writing won't mean that much; a fiction credit in the same genre will.

Absolutely.

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a short story to Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine on April 1 and have not heard back from them. I occasionally check on my story's status through their electronic system and it says the submission is open but only marked as received. I've subbed to Ellery Queen and they are prompt in rejecting my stories in two to three months ;) After eight months should I query AHMM or take it as a sign that I've passed on to the next level of the slush pile and be patient?

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
Hi NonieMaus,

Alfred Hitchcock's took over 9 months to get back to me on a short story--with a form rejection.

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, whirlaway. I guess I'll hold tight for a bit longer :)

NonieMaus

Un Petit Chou
Registered
Reaction score
Update:
I received a form rejection after 321 days. :gone::gone: