What we're reading, the SFF edition

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished the first three books in Rachel Caine's The Great Library series: Ink and Bone, Paper and Fire, and Ash and Quill.
This is a series set in a world where the Library of Alexandria was never destroyed, and has become corrupted by its power. Fast paced with likable, complicated characters. I feel like there was an element of pretentiousness toward physical copies of books verses reading on a device. This is a good story for bibliophiles.

I also finished the first two of the series Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake: Three Dark Crowns and One Dark Throne.
Great stories with lots of unexpected twists and surprises. These are YA, but not overtly. The three female queens in this story are well written and compelling.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Vicious by VE Schwab was great! I figured it would be, but it somehow kept getting pushed back on my list.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden, second of The Winter Night trilogy.

The first in this series (The Bear and the Nightingale) was published in January of this year, and the third is scheduled for mid-2018. The first book was one of my favorite reads this year, and this one is right up there as well. In some ways, this second installment is a better novel. I greatly enjoy fairy tales, and the writing in these is lovely.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I've owned Song of Kaliby Dan Simmons since about 2012, but I never got deep into it. Cracked it open again this Monday and have quite enjoyed it so far. Hopefully I'll finish it this time!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Really getting into Clark Ashton Smith again. While we can try to salvage Lovecraft from his own awfulness till the cows come home (I'm not in the camp of saying we should stop reading HP, but often wonder why we continue to), CAS comes off as far more likable from every angle. Besides the enjoyably cheesy sesquipedalian loquaciousness, what really stands out for me is the quality of his characters, who are never terribly complex but always come across as lively, unique, and wonderfully weird. And I have a bit of fondness for the man himself, who was a poet, sensualist, and native Californian.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Persepolis Rising by James S.A. Corey. This installment of the Expanse series is in my opinion the second best behind Nemesis Games.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Prisoner of Limnos, the fifth novella in Lois McMaster Bujold's Penric & Desdemona series. These continue to entertain, though the last two were a bit on the slow side.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Started and gave up on The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. I got 20% in and there was still no story. I'm not even sure there was an inciting incident. But lots of worldbuilding and a cast of characters (human and alien) who largely all get along just fine. It has a comfy-cozy atmosphere that's virtually conflict-free. It also did not help that I found the main character to be bland and boring. I read a few reviews that confirmed my fears that in terms of engrossing, compelling story-telling, this one misses the mark (despite the characters eventually getting into some dangerous situations).

I do know people who really liked it. It's very much optimistic, feel-good fiction, I gather, but Lois McMaster Bujold, who also publishes space opera, writes optimistic, emotionally feel-good stories that also manage to be full of tension, conflict, high stakes, action, and generally all the stuff that goes into good storytelling.

This review on Gizmodo (no great spoilers) also confirms to me that this book is not for me. It's all about who the characters are and the world, but from the reviewer's description (and he loved the book, btw), there's hardly a breath of a story in sight. And yet he said it was as if Firefly and Guardians of the Galaxy "had one hyperactive and excited baby." But there's nothing hyperactive or excited about this story. If you want hyperactive and excited, read Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan stories. ISTM he missed the mark on much of what made Firefly and Guardians good viewing.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I really like the Expanse SciFi series, and just started the 7th book, 'Persepolis Rising'. Great concept behind the series, fantastic world building, engaging and interesting characters, well written with a thoughtful perspective about human nature - I don't know how much more anyone could ask.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Just giving this thread a bump, since I like to get ideas from it of novels to try. Has nobody been reading any sff since the last post here? (Admittedly, I haven't, except for some light bedtime rereading of AC Crispin's Star Trek duology, Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday.)

Anyway, I didn't want this thread to die. So what sff things have y'all been reading?

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Just giving this thread a bump, since I like to get ideas from it of novels to try. Has nobody been reading any sff since the last post here? (Admittedly, I haven't, except for some light bedtime rereading of AC Crispin's Star Trek duology, Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday.)

Anyway, I didn't want this thread to die. So what sff things have y'all been reading?

I've been working my way through China Mieville's The Scar. It's a slow burn, but I can see the little pieces of intrigue coming together into something amazing.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. Holy cow. Way out of this world. It's one of those rare books that leave you with philosophical thoughts for days. The hard sci-fi part can either take some serious slow down/googling or skipping, but overall, wow.

Read Artemis before that. Andy Weir's writing skill hasn't improved much since the Martian, but he's still a great story teller telling a thrilling story. Plus there is no longer boring math. Finished the book in 3 days despite being a snail-slow reader.

Started reading Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (non-fiction).

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished “Three Body Problem” by Cixin. Amazing and won the Hugo.

The first 50 pages are a complete mystery and don’t make sense until the end.

Best hard SF ever written, IMO

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

I've been reading, just lost track of this thread for a while...

Recently Read SF/F:
Killing Gravity (Book 1 of the Voidwitch Saga, Corey J. White, SF, on Kindle): The secret agency MEPHISTO, under command of the evil man Briggs, turned Marian into a weapon capable of destroying starships with a flick of the wrist... but, before they could deploy her and the other girls like her, Marian escaped their clutches, taking with her an experimental catlike animal Seven. She's been on the run across the galaxy for years when she gets a lead on the older girl who helped her escape, a girl she thought had died. If Marian beats the bounty hunters and MEPHISTO's agents, she might be destroyed by what she learns...

I got this as part of a free offer from Tor.com. Composed of the usual space opera parts (rampant cybernetics and genetic tweaking, casual system-hopping, gritty characters and dark space station underbellies, etc.) and usual sorts of characters, it nevertheless entertains, plus it reads fast. Marian's a gutsy girl, internally torn over using the powers MEPHISTO gave her, even to defend herself and innocent bystanders. The critter Seven's a decent sidekick, and she picks up a ship and crew along the way. I might read on, especially if I find the next book cheap (or free.)

The Girl Who Drank the Moon (Kelly Barnhill, MG fantasy, hardcover): For generations, the town of the Protectorate has been smothered by a fog of sorrow, trapped between a cursed wood and an endless bog and at the mercy of an evil Witch, to whom they must sacrifice a child every year... or so they've been told. Meanwhile, the aging Xan, last Witch after a catastrophe destroyed the wizards' enclave (while bottling up a restive volcano, true source of the "curse" that makes the woods so dangerous) does her best to rescue the babies inexplicably left in the forest every year, feeding them starlight to make them strong as she finds them new homes in the Free Cities beyond. But a moment of carelessness leads to disaster when she accidentally feeds one small girl moonlight instead of starlight - permanently enmagicking her, making her too potentially dangerous for anyone but a Witch to raise. Thus begins a story full of good intentions and unintended consequences, of questioned traditions and half-forgotten secrets.

This award-winning book is part fairy tale, part fantasy, and part cautionary tale about unanticipated consequences of meddling with or attempting to hold back nature, be it a volcano or a girl's natural abilities, especially when one's vision is clouded by love or sorrow. Some great characters (such as Fyrian, the pocket-sized dragon convinced he's Simply Enormous) and a nasty villain, too. Parts of the end felt a bit scattered, but overall it's an enjoyable tale.

Descender, Deluxe Edition Volume 1 (issues 1 - 16, Jeff Lemire, graphic novel/SF, Nook via Hoopla): The United Galactic Council once provided peace and stability across the inhabited worlds of the Megacosm... until the day the Harvesters arrived, giant robots that appeared mysteriously and devastated the nine core planets. In their wake, sentients turned against the robots in their midsts, with anti-machine cults and bounty-hunting scrappers hunting down even the most benign artificial beings, even as the UGC continues to crumble and reel from the unexpected attack. Ten years later, on a remote mining planet, the childlike companion robot Tim-21 "wakes" to find himself alone on a world of corpses, with only the robotic "dog" Bandit and the surly mining machine Driller for company - inadvertently alerting the Megacosm to his presence as he searches for what happened to his former friend, human boy Andy. The UGC is especially eager to get their hands on him, as his mechanical fingerprint has been matched to the Harvesters, but the scrappers are already on the trail, not to mention the increasingly-bold luddites of the Gnishian Empire and the underground robot terrorist organization Hardwire.

If AI had been done right and not schmaltzy, and crossed with a touch of Blade Runner (and the obscure robot movie Android), it might've looked something like this. Tim-21 and the other bots don't aspire to be human, yet they know themselves to be something more than mere piles of metal. They've reacted to becoming hunted beings in different ways, and argue among themselves about what to do. On the human/sapient side, things aren't black and white, either, making what could've been a fairly flat space opera into something more interesting and nuanced. Very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

The Shadow of What Was Lost (Book 1 of the Licanius trilogy, James Islington, fantasy, paperback): Twenty years ago, the Augurs were toppled from power by angry Loyalists and executed when their foresight failed them. As for the Augurs' servants, the Gifted men and women, they were shackled by the Four Tenets of a new Treaty, forced into subservience. Those who resist, or who fail their trials, become Shadows, stripped of power and forever disfigured, the only class held in even lower contempt than the Gifted under the new king's regime. But there were threats the Augurs were meant to protect the people from, borders they were meant to reinforce... and enemies ready to strike at the heart of an undefended land. Into this mix are thrust the three friends Davian, Wirr, and Asha, each set on paths to destinies they never dreamed, against forces darker than they'd ever imagined.

I had an epic fantasy itch. The reviews looked good. Unfortunately, it turned into a name stew too thick for me to parse (and I'm familiar with the usual slow-burn epic worldbuilding pace), not to mention overuse of Capitalizations for Almost Everything and the dreaded "aesthetic apostrophe" to make otherwise-ordinary strings of letters into Exotic Names. When it's over halfway through the book and I still can't keep most of the terms, names, people, places, histories, races, and more straight in my head... something ain't right. Add to that an overall dated feel to the writing and story, with lackluster characterization, a very male-heavy cast (women landing predictable roles, such as the Princess or the Green-Eyed Betrayer or the Obligatory Archer), and a strong sense that much of it had been lifted from other fantasies with only a light sanding to obscure the serial runes, and I was rather disappointed. A few nice ideas, and it had potential, but it just never clicked for me.

Currently I'm between SF/F reads.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. My BFF was all agog about it and loaned it to me a few hundred years ago (so she claims), so I'm reading a chapter or three a night. The actual reading of it is very swift and easy, which is nice, however I'm about quarter way through it and I'm still waiting for SOMETHING seriously interesting to happen. I'm also tired of waiting for some character to be something more than cardboard and bland. Thus far, it's pretty disappointing. BFF says that it will pick up at some point, and I trust her, but it's really getting to be a slog.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping this. I forgot about it. I, too, get a lot of good recommendations from this post and appreciate the contributions. I've read quite a bit since last I posted.

Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. It's early in the year, but this will vie for one of my favorite books read in 2018.

The Raven's Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan - Blood Song, Tower Lord, & Queen of Fire. An interesting story here for the first book - the author self-published and was approached by a traditional publisher after his work gained momentum. This trilogy is now traditionally published. The first book was outstanding. I liked the second almost as much, though not as much the third.

I finally got around to Seraphina and Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. They've been on list for a long time and were never interesting enough to get moved up to the top. They were solid, and I'm glad I read them.

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. I've never read any of his books. A well told tale.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. If I could travel back in time, I would tell my younger self not to read this.

In the same vein of "books everyone raves about and has read except for me," The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I wish I had read this sooner. It had me sobbing during my lunch break.

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown. A long awaited (by me, at least) continuation of the Red Rising trilogy. I enjoyed this much more and cannot wait for the next one.

The Lost Plot by Genevieve Cogman. I absolutely love the stories in her The Invisible Library series. This is the 4th. Each book stands alone, though they are heavily connected.

As far as YA goes:

Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare. I haven't read anything by her for quite some time since finishing the Shadowhunter series. It's nice to see an author improve so drastically. I greatly enjoyed these.

MG:

The Iron Trial, The Copper Gauntlet, and The Bronze Key
(Books 1-3 of 5) in the Magisterium series by Holly Black. I really enjoyed some of her other MG fantasy. My kids like these.

Currently:

I just finished Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb and will continue with the Farseer Trilogy. I enjoyed the first very much.

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I have read lately,

The Ranger's Apprentice series (12 books)
"Life of Pi" Yann Martel
"Slaughterhouse-Five" Kurt Vonnegut

Currently reading: "The Children of Hurin" by JRR Tolkein.

A nice mixed bag, I know :)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most recently, I've been working on a self-published fantasy novel, Benjamin Ashwood by A.C. Cobble. It's very cleanly written, and I like the characters, but I'm about 70% through, and I'm still not sure what the main plot is. Right now, it's hovering on the line between a 3 and 4 star read.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The Raven's Shadow trilogy by Anthony Ryan - Blood Song, Tower Lord, & Queen of Fire.

Blood Song was recommended here ages ago, so I tried it and loved it, in spite of some clunky writing errors that somehow never got ironed out in the trade published edition. Tower Lord was a disappointment. Everything I loved about the first one was missing in this one. And my husband, who read all three, said not to bother with Queen of Fire.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with BethS. LOVED Blood Song. Tower Lord was not only a disappointment, it was a surprise. Who expects a dud to follow brilliance? And I never bothered with Queen of Fire.

RobertLCollins

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished Tigana. What a great read! There was an interesting world with intriguing characters. The plot kept me going in the first three-quarters of the novel, and had me guessing in the last quarter as to how it would end up. I also enjoyed that it was set in a land inspired by Italy of the Middle Ages. Don't always get that in fantasy. Now to figure out what to read next on the list of books I got over the holidays...

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Witches Abroad" by Sir Terry Prachett (as I needed a good, light-hearted read after the "Children of Hurin" (which made Game of Thrones look like a picnic in the park). I am now currently reading "Landscape with Invisible Hand" by M.T. Anderson.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished “Three Body Problem” by Cixin. Amazing and won the Hugo.

The first 50 pages are a complete mystery and don’t make sense until the end.

Best hard SF ever written, IMO

I started reading this and then got distracted and forgot all about it, which is weird because I was enjoying it. Thanks for the reminder! *frantically scurries off to find it again*

The Shadow of What Was Lost (Book 1 of the Licanius trilogy, James Islington, fantasy, paperback): Twenty years ago, the Augurs were toppled from power by angry Loyalists and executed when their foresight failed them. As for the Augurs' servants, the Gifted men and women, they were shackled by the Four Tenets of a new Treaty, forced into subservience. Those who resist, or who fail their trials, become Shadows, stripped of power and forever disfigured, the only class held in even lower contempt than the Gifted under the new king's regime. But there were threats the Augurs were meant to protect the people from, borders they were meant to reinforce... and enemies ready to strike at the heart of an undefended land. Into this mix are thrust the three friends Davian, Wirr, and Asha, each set on paths to destinies they never dreamed, against forces darker than they'd ever imagined.

I had an epic fantasy itch. The reviews looked good. Unfortunately, it turned into a name stew too thick for me to parse (and I'm familiar with the usual slow-burn epic worldbuilding pace), not to mention overuse of Capitalizations for Almost Everything and the dreaded "aesthetic apostrophe" to make otherwise-ordinary strings of letters into Exotic Names. When it's over halfway through the book and I still can't keep most of the terms, names, people, places, histories, races, and more straight in my head... something ain't right. Add to that an overall dated feel to the writing and story, with lackluster characterization, a very male-heavy cast (women landing predictable roles, such as the Princess or the Green-Eyed Betrayer or the Obligatory Archer), and a strong sense that much of it had been lifted from other fantasies with only a light sanding to obscure the serial runes, and I was rather disappointed. A few nice ideas, and it had potential, but it just never clicked for me.

Currently I'm between SF/F reads.

I was in the same boat, what with the promising reviews and such, and I stopped after a chapter. As you said, it was a little too hard to follow, and even from the get-go I could see the plot would take a loooong time to unfold.

Blood Song was recommended here ages ago, so I tried it and loved it, in spite of some clunky writing errors that somehow never got ironed out in the trade published edition. Tower Lord was a disappointment. Everything I loved about the first one was missing in this one. And my husband, who read all three, said not to bother with Queen of Fire.

I'm with BethS. LOVED Blood Song. Tower Lord was not only a disappointment, it was a surprise. Who expects a dud to follow brilliance? And I never bothered with Queen of Fire.

Same, I never got to QoF, although there's this little, completion-loving part of my brain that wants to finish the series for the sake of doing so.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished Tigana. What a great read! There was an interesting world with intriguing characters. The plot kept me going in the first three-quarters of the novel, and had me guessing in the last quarter as to how it would end up. I also enjoyed that it was set in a land inspired by Italy of the Middle Ages. Don't always get that in fantasy. Now to figure out what to read next on the list of books I got over the holidays...

Guy Gavriel Kay is an excellent writer, so you could always read more of his work! So many to choose from. I liked Tigana a lot. A couple of my other favorites were The Last Light of the Sun and Under Heaven. The only ones I haven't liked was his early work The Fionavar Tapestry, a trilogy where I never got past the first volume.