tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Tower of Dawn by Sarah Maas, 6th in The Throne of Glass series.

This book follows Chaol and Nesryn, and does nothing to advance the ridiculous cliff hanger at the end of book five. It is worth a read if you're into this series though.

While things about Maas' writing annoy me, she does a great job raising the stakes to unbelievable levels and building layers into stories I never would have saw coming. Most annoying to me is her overuse of the word "kernel."

Ran thru the series last week in about four days. Really enjoyed the layers of the world building and character arcs, but the cliffhanger at the end of five...:gaah

I needed another series leaving me in suspense like I need a hole in my head.
-_-

This is the evil bookworm universe's way of pulling the rug out from under me again after I also recently (aka two days after it was released) finished the last in Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series (which lived up to my expectations and ended a very intriguing modern contemporary fantasy told using varying first and third POVs).

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Been about a month, and I'm procrastinating...

Recently Read SF/F:
The Summer Tree (Book 1 of the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, Guy Gavriel Kay, Fantasy, paperback): Five college students are transported to the "first of worlds," Fionavar, where they become entangled in world-shaping events as an ancient evil finally breaks free of its centuries-long imprisonment.

It's considered a classic, an epic with a Celtic/Arthurian flavor and shades of Tolkien in world-building depth (and deep-rooted themes of religion and sacrifice), but ultimately it wasn't my cup of cocoa. The characters fell too easily into archetype roles, never really seeming human or relateable, particularly in their lack of overall sense of wonder at being in another world. I also had my hackles up at events toward the end. Some nice descriptions, though, once I got used to Kay's rather stiff and formal (clearly Tolkien-inspired) style.

I'm a fan of Kay, who is a terrific writer, but I never liked that one and never finished the trilogy. I don't think it's at all representative of what he can do. Far better are The Last Light of the Sun or Under Heaven.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished another of Lois McMaster Bujold's novellas in the ongoing Penric & Desdemona saga, "Penric's Fox." This is the fifth in the series, but in world chronology, it comes third, right after "Penric and the Shaman." Anyway, it's another enjoyable entry. I keep hoping she'll write an entire Penric novel one of these days.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recently Read SF/F:
The Summer Tree (Book 1 of the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, Guy Gavriel Kay, Fantasy, paperback): Five college students are transported to the "first of worlds," Fionavar, where they become entangled in world-shaping events as an ancient evil finally breaks free of its centuries-long imprisonment.

It's considered a classic, an epic with a Celtic/Arthurian flavor and shades of Tolkien in world-building depth (and deep-rooted themes of religion and sacrifice), but ultimately it wasn't my cup of cocoa. The characters fell too easily into archetype roles, never really seeming human or relateable, particularly in their lack of overall sense of wonder at being in another world. I also had my hackles up at events toward the end. Some nice descriptions, though, once I got used to Kay's rather stiff and formal (clearly Tolkien-inspired) style.

I could not finish this either. The kids were in no way, shape, or form like any college students I'd ever met. The book carries a bittersweet memory though, because my mother had bought it especially for me, because she knew I liked fantasy, and "the author seemed like such a nice guy!"

I much prefer Kay's "straight" fantasies where characters from this world do not intrude. Though I do get fed up with the women's roles.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Every Heart A Doorway & Down Among the Sticks and Bones in the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire.

I love fairy tales, especially new ones, and these creepy, dark novellas did not disappoint.

Just read the first one last week. Really really liked it.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Masked City and The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman, books 2 and 3 of The Invisible Library series.

I really like these novels. They're quick reads, and the world is well built and interesting. I'd recommend them.

SKDaley

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler (book 4 in The Shadow Campaigns). This might have been my favorite so far. It's between this one and the second book. 9.5/10

I just finished The Thousand Names by Django Wexler and I'm reading The Shadow Throne. I enjoyed the first book immensely. His world-building is impeccable, detailed and immersive. The characters are unique and well-drawn, the setting original and the story compelling. I'm glad I stumbled onto this series and look forward to the rest of it. I was afraid he hadn't finished it when I picked up the second book because the library doesn't have the rest. Glad to hear there's at least four!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lockstep by Karl Schroeder. Not the best book ever, but a fun SF standalone with an interesting concept that becomes more fleshed out and extrapolated upon as the story progresses. Has a bit of a golden age feel about it, but with lots of realism.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Waking Gods by Sylvian Neuvel, Themis Files #2.

I'm not a big SF reader, but I'm trying to expand my exposure. I really like this story, though I miss the lack of narration.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Waking Gods by Sylvian Neuvel, Themis Files #2.

I'm not a big SF reader, but I'm trying to expand my exposure. I really like this story, though I miss the lack of narration.

I love this series, and I initially wasn't sure the lack of narration, but as I got into it I really liked it.

You should try the audio version of these books it makes the lack of narration less noticeable.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I love this series, and I initially wasn't sure the lack of narration, but as I got into it I really liked it.

You should try the audio version of these books it makes the lack of narration less noticeable.

I will recommend the audio to a friend of mine who doesn't have as much time to read. I saw folks on Goodreads discussing how impressed they were with it. I have trouble with audio books. I can sit and read for long periods of time without any problem, but about 2 minutes into an audio book I cannot pay attention.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
Mal Peet's The Murdstone Trilogy

So far it's not rocking my world but he has a beautifully poetic style and his descriptions are wonderfully evocative. The characters are a bit stock though and the plot is getting steadily more confused. Worth a read just for the gorgeous writing.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The House of Shattered Wings (Dominion of the Fallen, #1) by Aliette de Bodard.

This author is of French/Vietnamese decent, and she's incorporated both: French - the book is set in an alt-Paris, and one of the mc's calls himself Viet and hails from that world's Indochina. It made for an interesting backdrop. I really liked the bones of this story, and the basic premise, but it fell flat for me in some places. This book is part of a series, but it does stand alone if you don't want to commit to a trilogy or whatever it ends up being.

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. Her prose has a beautiful ring to it.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Just about to start Tim Powers' THREE DAYS TO NEVER, one that somehow passed me by over the years, but as I'm a huge Powers fan, I know enough to know that I'll be immersed in it immediately until it lets go of me.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

I haven't been this impressed with a novel since Uproot by Naomi Novik. I love fairy tales, in any form. This was listed as a first of a trilogy, though it stands alone, and I hope there will be two more. It was beautiful and dark and hopeful, all the things I love about fairy tales.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
A Shadow Bright and Burning and A Poison Dark and Drowning (Books 1 and 2 of the Kingdom on Fire series) by Jessica Cluess.

There are some heavy J.K. Rowling influences in these novels. Not in characterization, or story line, but in how elements of magic in the world work. Which makes me wonder - at what point are those elements passable again? I doubt Rowling invented them either (the wand chooses the wizard, for example). Perhaps it was the number of occurrences that irritated me.

The other issue I have with these books, and any in this genre (YA Fantasy) that try to pull the same trick - the author wrote a nuanced, brave, passionate, independent female protagonist, and I get that she has the right to love whomever she wishes. BUT. Why is she drawn toward a dangerous man. She recognizes it. She even goes so far as to express fear of these men (yep, more than once - an entirely other issue), and yet, she still goes there. This element of danger in a relationship, and of that being desirable, unsettles me. Does this normalize that kind of expectation for teens? I wonder. And I hope not.

Anyway, not high on my recommendation list, but they weren't bad. They just weren't great.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Been a little over a month, and once again I'm procrastinating:

Recently Read SF/F:
Down Among the Sticks and Bones (The Wayward Children series, Book 2, Seanan McGuire, YA fantasy, on Kindle): Once upon a time, the twin girls Jaquelline and Jillian were born to parents who saw them not as independent children, but as props for their own images and tools for advancement in their own circles. Thus the girls were, from birth, forced into boxes that didn't quite fit. When they were twelve, they discovered a strange staircase in an attic trunk... a passage to the Moors, a dark world of monsters and magical science. Here, for the first time in their lives, they're free to discover themselves. One will become a mad scientist's apprentice, the other a pampered protege to the vampire Master of the local town - but even as they grow apart, their common blood binds them, if not as friends then as enemies...

A prequel to events in the first Wayward Children book (the award-winning Every Heart a Doorway, centered on a boarding school for children and teens who had been to magical worlds and returned to Earth), it can work as a standalone, but events have more meaning and weight if you know what comes after. Like EHaD, DAtSaB has a fairy-tale like feel to the narrative, an almost lyrical omniscient viewpoint that adds to the surreal atmosphere of the Moors. Sometimes gruesome, sometimes bleak, often dark, but beautiful in its own way, it's ultimately the tale of the damage wrought by parents who neglect to recognize their offspring as people - who, perhaps, never should've had children to begin with. Very much recommended, especially if you enjoyed the first book in the series. (A third installment is reportedly on the way; I can hardly wait...)

The Ables (Jeremy Scott, MG sci-fi, in paperback): Blind since birth, Phillip never suspected that his parents were superheroes (or "custodians," as the race of superpowered humans prefer to be known) until he was twelve, when his dad had a little talk with him. Phillip, too, has powers - telekinesis - but his lack of sight, he's told, will seriously limit his abilities. At best, he might eventually become support staff for the real heroes. And so, though he's enrolled at a special school for custodians, he's shunted off to the Special Education classes with other disabled kids. But Phillip chafes at the restraints... even as a new danger arises, one that the able-bodied community may be powerless against, and one that soon challenges Phillip on a very personal level.

Jeremy Scott is probably best known for his Hollywood-skewering CinemaSins YouTube videos, where he nitpicks blockbusters (and other films.) Given how readily he'll call out symptoms of flabby writing in his videos, I'd expected a decent little superhero story, perhaps some clever subversion of the genre tropes. I was disappointed. It drags at several spots, with more than one pointless tangent or infodumpy dialog bit. Instead of subverting tropes, it mostly just played by them. Also, despite the disabled heroes, it relies on stereotypes and cliches, not to mention the glaring sexism; though there are girls in Phillip's class, they almost immediately fall off the page. The Ables are an all-boys club. (I guess girls are perfectly happy to be shunted off to lesser status and deprived the opportunities for heroism that the Ables fight for... 'cause girl germs, I guess.) Indeed, the only females of consequence are the Supportive Teacher and Phillip's superhero Mom (who, risking a spoiler, is basically there to be fridged as character motivation.) The identity of the villain was too easy to guess, and the ending feels way too long. I frankly expected better of a man who nitpicks Hollywood for a living.

Currently Reading SF/F:
It (Stephen King, fantasy/horror, in paperback): In 1950's Derry, Maine, a boy is gruesomely murdered in the middle of the street, but no culprit is found. Years later, in the 1980's, a gay boy is mutilated in the same way after being beaten and thrown off a bridge by teen thugs. Whoever, or whatever, is responsible is stirring again, calling a group of former childhood friends back to their hometown to once again do battle.

Yes, I'm finally reading the classic horror novel. It's a bit slow going, what with it being a brick of a book, but so far I'm interested. Some nice atmosphere and characterizations at play, with undercurrents of hatred and raw evil made manifest.

I also have an imaginary bestiary-type book on indefinite hiatus for tooth-grinding writing, and an older vampire short on Kindle that's only barely holding my attention for the archaic, distant style.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read Hyperion by Dan Simmons? I kind of think I want to get the books in the series... but my track record for buying books lately is abysmal, so I'm just worried that if I buy it, it'll turn out to suck as badly as most of the books I've bought recently.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read Hyperion by Dan Simmons? I kind of think I want to get the books in the series... but my track record for buying books lately is abysmal, so I'm just worried that if I buy it, it'll turn out to suck as badly as most of the books I've bought recently.

Haven't read it, but it shows up on lists of best time travel books. I'll probably get to it eventually. I've been burned the past year on some cretically acclaimed and hyped books that I just did not like at all. Fortuantely I rely heavily on getting my ebooks and audiobooks from the library online.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read Hyperion by Dan Simmons?

You ever go to the store and see a box of Cheez-its, and then are all like 'Ugh, Cheez-its are so nasty and gross', and then you buy two boxes and the minute you get home you're like 'OM NOM NOM', all the while thinking about how gross they are and hating yourself for loving them so much, and then when you've wolfed down the first box too quickly you go straight for the second box, which you hate yourself for loving them even worse. THEN, you see that there's a special new flavor of Cheez-its that's twice as extreme and disgusting, and you can't help yourself so you go out and buy two more boxes of the new flavor, which are just as back as you expected, but you eat them like someone with no self-control anyways, and go to bed with a horrible stomach ache, thinking, 'Oh God, I hate Cheese-it, why did I have to binge-eat them?'

THEN, you see an even grosser flavor of off-brand Cheez-O's at the store the next day, and you're all like to yourself 'Ok, I'm in.'

Tl;dr- First two Hyperion books, good with qualifiers. Second two, bad but I liked them. Illium/Olympos series, pure guilty pleasure reading. Terror is quite good, tho. Also, don't read Simmon's blog. Just don't.

Last edited:

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
Ready Player One

Given that I grew up in the 80's, played pen-n-paper RPGs for years, am a dedicated gamer, this book was an absolute blast. It also had a lot of pointed (and poignant) things to say about the state of the human race.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
You ever go to the store and see a box of Cheez-its, and then are all like 'Ugh, Cheez-its are so nasty and gross', and then you buy two boxes and the minute you get home you're like 'OM NOM NOM', all the while thinking about how gross they are and hating yourself for loving them so much, and then when you've wolfed down the first box too quickly you go straight for the second box, which you hate yourself for loving them even worse. THEN, you see that there's a special new flavor of Cheez-its that's twice as extreme and disgusting, and you can't help yourself so you go out and buy two more boxes of the new flavor, which are just as back as you expected, but you eat them like someone with no self-control anyways, and go to bed with a horrible stomach ache, thinking, 'Oh God, I hate Cheese-it, why did I have to binge-eat them?'

THEN, you see an even grosser flavor of off-brand Cheez-O's at the store the next day, and you're all like to yourself 'Ok, I'm in.'

Tl;dr- First two Hyperion books, good with qualifiers. Second two, bad but I liked them. Illium/Olympos series, pure guilty pleasure reading. Terror is quite good, tho. Also, don't read Simmon's blog. Just don't.

What a great analogy! :)

Thank you. I was only thinking of getting the four Hyperion books because I tend to lose interest if a series goes to more than four books. I never thought I had a short attention span, but... :Shrug: I'm guessing Terror is a horror story which is... yeah, I'll pass. I don't do horror. I think the only book I've read that might qualify as horror is Dracula by Bram Stoker.

You've piqued my curiosity with the last two sentences, but I'll take your word and avoid the blog. I generally prefer not to know too much about the authors for fear they are ardent supporters of something I'm against... which would then colour how receptive I am to their stories.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read it, but it shows up on lists of best time travel books. I'll probably get to it eventually. I've been burned the past year on some cretically acclaimed and hyped books that I just did not like at all. Fortuantely I rely heavily on getting my ebooks and audiobooks from the library online.

Yeah, critically acclaimed does not necessarily mean it's a great book. I don't think we have an online library here. I should probably look into that and possibly save myself some money. :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The blog isn't that exciting, Simmons' is just a cranky old man who watchs too much Fox News. I'm perfectly happy to let him have his opinions and still enjoy his work, but...y'know. I really do like his books, lots of fun ideas and the first one is a damn masterpiece (though the poet's story was pretty annoying IMHO). The second series about Endymion and the perfectly perfect and under-18 Aenea is ok, but cranked-up in all the wrong ways, with a really dumb ending. But check out the first to and go from there.