What we're reading, the SFF edition

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that's the received wisdom, haven't read it myself so keep that in mind. Still, pretty confident you shouldn't read him.

wolfking

From the Depths he comes
Registered
Reaction score
And you are only on Book 1? There is more to come, and the later instances disturbed me more AND could have been dispensed with altogether. I love the magic systems though, and the writing is good. Having said that, I'm stopping with Book 3, The Daylight War. As far as I'm concerned, the ending in this book is a good finish.

I stopped early on in Daylight War. I loved the first one, but all the flashbacks and some of the mentioned content prevented me from going farther.

Mark Lawrence's books are excellent through. Some hard content for sure, but the story telling is superb.

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
Since my last post I've read Jurassic Park, which I greatly enjoyed, and put some more time in on American Gods, which thus far has felt a little over-hyped.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that's the received wisdom, haven't read it myself so keep that in mind. Still, pretty confident you shouldn't read him.
I cannot explain why, but I can't seem to leave Mark Lawrence's books alone. While I'm reading, I pause and think this is totally beyond even my ability to accept as believable. But then I read on. I don't like his MCs. But I keep buying the damn books. What is wrong with me?

Since my last post I've read Jurassic Park, which I greatly enjoyed, and put some more time in on American Gods, which thus far has felt a little over-hyped.
I've tried twice to read American Gods. Can't get past the third chapter.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss

This is an incredibly clever book. The author combines the characters of other stories where female monsters were created - Justine Frankenstein, the Cat Woman - Catherine Moreau, created by Dr. Moreau on the island, Beatrice Rappaccini - Nathanial Hawthorne's short story, and the daughters of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Also, featured prominently are Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

The stories of each of these female "monsters" is told, and then woven together.

I found it a bit slow at times, but the cohesiveness of the novel was well worth those spots.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished the Dragon Brigade trilogy by Margaret Weis and Robert Krammes. It was a fun series with characters I liked and a lot of action.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Currently reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin: The prologue was tough to get through, but now that I'm well into this book I really like it.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Iron Circlet by Phil Tucker. I discovered this series through the Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off, and I can't say enough good things about it. It is one of my favorite series. There's a ton of action, Tucker writes characters you really care about, and the world and plot are epic with a capital E.

Canislupus54

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just finished up Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. It was pretty good. My only complaint would be that I didn't really feel attached to any of the characters.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
One more month, and another procrastination update:

Recently Read SF/F:
When You Reach Me (Rebecca Stead, MG mystery/SF, hardcover): In 1979, NYC sixth-grader Miranda starts finding odd notes that seem to be addressed to her. They tell her things nobody could know, implying that one of her friends is in mortal danger... but which friend? Her best friend since forever, Sal, no longer even talks to her, and her new friends aren't really the same - and just what is the danger? And to whom is she supposed to write the letter she's been instructed to write?

This is one of the stranger tales I've read in a while, a small-scale story of the bonds of friendship and the troubles of growing up that conceals much larger ideas of causality and time travel. Everyone has a lot more to them than is initially apparent, turning the cast into real people - even the grown-ups, whom MG books tend to skimp on. It's inspired by Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time; it's Miranda's favorite book, one she talks about at borderline-spoiler length. By the end, everything comes together for a fast-paced, emotional climax. When You Reach Me more than earned its accolades and awards, a book many grown-ups would enjoy at least as much as the younger target audience.

Eridahn (Robert F. Young, sci-fi, paperback): Jim Carpenter may be a time traveler from 1998, but he's still essentially a truck driver, piloting camouflaged robotic vehicles around prehistory recording holopictures. The discovery of a fossilized modern human skeleton in the late Cretaceous sends him to the Age of Dinosaurs in "Sam", a reptivehicle concealed in a Triceratops illusion. What he finds is something impossible: a boy and a girl who claim to be Martian royalty, brought to earth by terrorist kidnappers. Jim doesn't know what to believe - until the terrorists show up, seeking their escaped victims.

It was really cheap at a thrift store, and looked like a quick little throwback SF adventure. That's more or less what it is - and about all it is. Though not pitched at kids (there's nothing explicit, but one attempted rape of the 11-year-old princess by a terrorist, not to mention a rather disturbing vibe between 30-odd-year-old Jim and the girl that takes an unsettling twist at the end), I couldn't help thinking that this is one that would spark a young imagination: kids camping out and roasting marshmallows under a Cretaceous starscape, the reptivehicle Sam that's essentially a robot buddy sidekick (save lacking sapience), the abandoned Martian colony on Earth, etc. There's also a master alien race known as the Ku, who appear as geometric 2-dimensional patterns and are largely a plot device to explain how modern humans exist on Mars (with an "intelligent design" sidestep of evolution; I would've hoped that science fiction readers in the 1980's wouldn't need that bone thrown to them, that reassurance of human superiority over nature, but unfortunately I know better...) The characters aren't very deep and the storytelling's somewhat clunky, full of infodumps about Martian culture (where "desentimentalization" of adults has led to a cold, loveless society built on greed and backstabbing) and such. But things happen, and everyone pulls their weight. Not bad, but not great, though it nearly lost an extra half-star in my ratings for that creep factor.

Currently Reading:
A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent series, Book 1, Mary Brennan, fantasy, paperback): The word's most renowned and notorious dragon expert, Lady Trent, relates her memoirs, beginning with a childhood obsession with nature and dragons that led to her famed career.

I've just started it, and already anticipate quite enjoying the book, and probably the series. The faux-historic alternate world melds a Victorian sensibility with the limited horizons of an earlier age, the perfect setting for a tale of pushing the boundaries of gender, class, exploration, and knowledge. I'm liking the main character so far.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly recommend anything Rebecca Stead's ever written, both for kids and adults. Goodbye Stranger is maybe her best, while Liar & Spy (her worst, which still puts it in the top 1/1000 percentile of ever book ever written) goes some interesting places and drops some meaningful truth-bombs about middle school and young teen relationships. I love how sensitive, intelligent, self-aware, and oftentimes confused her protagonists are. MG fiction is so good, take it over YA any day of the week! (I do like YA too, tho)

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Witchwood Crown by Tad Williams.

I've waited on this book for a long time. I loved Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, and would rate them among my favorite ever fantasy novels. I'm a fast reader, but this book took me a lot longer than is typical. It wasn't boring, or difficult, per se, but the complexity of it was a bit staggering. Off the top of my head, I count 15 POV characters, and I'm sure I missed a few. As is typical for this author, dozens of story lines run side by side throughout, and it's not clear how they will converge. I trust him to make it happen, but I can't begin to imagine how.

While the author states at the beginning of the book that reading the previous trilogy is not required, I believe your experience would be hindered if you decide to start here.

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
I started and finished all 13 books of the urban fantasy series The Hollows these past months. Great set of books, and it's complete, and the epilogue ending was satisfying. The Undead Pool and Ever After were my favorite ones.

I got through 9 of the Kate Daniels series in that time, too, and I really really want book 10 to come out already. It's probably one of my favorite series and every book is better than the last. I can't wait to see how it ends.

I read 4 of the Mercy Thompson books, and I might read more. I'm not overly fond of the dom/sub dynamics and I've read that book 5 is full of that. It's certainly well written, though.

I got through 4 out of 5 of The Long Earth series, and stopped reading a few chapters into book 5. Everything takes too long to happen, and when it does it's a non-event. The plot is mostly not there. The characters aren't my favorite. I loved the ideas and world presented, but then they end book 4 like they did.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Luna: Wolf Moon, sequel to a novel with a similar subheading as the Twilight series. Ian McDonald blows my mind, New Moon was hugely enjoyable and the Dervish House was just as great. His style takes some getting used, lots of riffs on über-researched subject, a tendency towards poesy, but it is rather good and unique. I doubt I'll be doing much else before I finish this.

Glad you like Witchwood Crown, MonsterTamer, that's next.

BTW, started but didn't finish the ARC of The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. Not because I didn't like it, also great but I got distracted. Set in the fairy world and like she promised, more fairies a-poppin' than any Holly Black novel ever, cementing her status as the fairy Anne Rice (that's a compliment). YA crossover, but watch for it.

Nimrasworld

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading the Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas. I am just about to start Court of Mist and Fury and so far its edge of your seat goodness.

This is the first time in a year I have sat and read a book series in under a month and it has really inspired me. Highly reccomend if you want something easy with a bit of adventure, romance, lost and girl power!

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
Recently read The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemison. After being disappointed by some of the recently hyped books, I was a bit leary of this one, but I really liked it. After that I attempted The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley, but I couldn't finish it. I was bored and gave up about 25% in.

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn was good. Next on my list is Saturn Run by John Sandford.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Currently on the Dozois Year's best 30. I'm a bit behind on these, so playing catchup. This one scared me because the first couple of stories seemed to have been selected more on politics (I love political stories, but I like them to be good, not just concerned!) than on quality, but it has really picked up since.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Now I Rise by Kiersten White, second in The Conqueror's Saga.

I enjoyed the first book this series more, but this one was still good. I'm still adjusting to the idea that alternate historical fiction is included in the fantasy genre. It's billed as YA, but the age of the MC's is the only reason, I think.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm very​ late to this party, but a friend loaned me her copy of "Elfstones of Shannara." Eighty pages in thus far and liking it. I've seen some interviews with Brooks and seems like a good guy.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm very​ late to this party, but a friend loaned me her copy of "Elfstones of Shannara." Eighty pages in thus far and liking it. I've seen some interviews with Brooks and seems like a good guy.

That's a good one to start with. It's much better than The Sword of Shannara. His prequels were also quite entertaining. Some of the later books in the series can get a little too formulaic for some readers. I like the formula, so it doesn't really bother me.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Agree - Elfstones is the Shanarra book I enjoyed the most. I still remember reading it as an 11-year-old and being extremely entertained (and kept on the edge of my seat in places!) by it. Have been reading Shannara ever since!

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Guns of Empire by Django Wexler (book 4 in The Shadow Campaigns). This might have been my favorite so far. It's between this one and the second book. 9.5/10

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score

My favorite is the book that comes after, Wishsong. Of all 29, it is still my top pick.

I just finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer. It's a stand-alone, written as a prequel for Alice Through the Looking Glass. I was very impressed by all of the tie-ins and references built into this story. If you're going to read it, and haven't read the original in a while, brush up on your basics, and skim through a children's copy of Mother Goose's nursery rhymes.