Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 345984109124128129130131132133134
Results 3,326 to 3,332 of 3332

Thread: What we're reading, the SFF edition

practical experience, FTW
    I recently finished the first three books in Rachel Caine's The Great Library series: Ink and Bone, Paper and Fire, and Ash and Quill.
    This is a series set in a world where the Library of Alexandria was never destroyed, and has become corrupted by its power. Fast paced with likable, complicated characters. I feel like there was an element of pretentiousness toward physical copies of books verses reading on a device. This is a good story for bibliophiles.

I also finished the first two of the series Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake: Three Dark Crowns and One Dark Throne.
    Great stories with lots of unexpected twists and surprises. These are YA, but not overtly. The three female queens in this story are well written and compelling.
    "Eating and reading are two pleasures that combine admirably." - C.S. Lewis

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Vicious by VE Schwab was great! I figured it would be, but it somehow kept getting pushed back on my list.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

practical experience, FTW
    The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden, second of The Winter Night trilogy.

The first in this series (The Bear and the Nightingale) was published in January of this year, and the third is scheduled for mid-2018. The first book was one of my favorite reads this year, and this one is right up there as well. In some ways, this second installment is a better novel. I greatly enjoy fairy tales, and the writing in these is lovely.
    "Eating and reading are two pleasures that combine admirably." - C.S. Lewis

practical experience, FTW Fiender's Avatar
    I've owned Song of Kaliby Dan Simmons since about 2012, but I never got deep into it. Cracked it open again this Monday and have quite enjoyed it so far. Hopefully I'll finish it this time!

There's a stick up there Kjbartolotta's Avatar
    Really getting into Clark Ashton Smith again. While we can try to salvage Lovecraft from his own awfulness till the cows come home (I'm not in the camp of saying we should stop reading HP, but often wonder why we continue to), CAS comes off as far more likable from every angle. Besides the enjoyably cheesy sesquipedalian loquaciousness, what really stands out for me is the quality of his characters, who are never terribly complex but always come across as lively, unique, and wonderfully weird. And I have a bit of fondness for the man himself, who was a poet, sensualist, and native Californian.

figuring it all out
    Just finished Persepolis Rising by James S.A. Corey. This installment of the Expanse series is in my opinion the second best behind Nemesis Games.

writer, rider, reader...ex-pat! BethS's Avatar
    Finished The Prisoner of Limnos, the fifth novella in Lois McMaster Bujold's Penric & Desdemona series. These continue to entertain, though the last two were a bit on the slow side.

Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 345984109124128129130131132133134