Non-sequential books

Triciawho

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.triciamangan.com
Does anyone know of any books - either children's PBs, YA or MG - that are non-sequential in nature, similar to the Choose Your Own Adventure books? There's another Edward Gorey piece (The Raging Tide) that does something similar in a much more hilarious way (e.g., "If this strikes you as clever, turn to page 11; If this is all too terrible to contemplate, turn to 29).

Anyone know of any others?

Thanks!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, no, I haven't read or seen any books like those for years and years now. I always enjoyed them, though. They give you so many more hours of reading fun when you can switch things up over and over again.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I read recently that there was talk of bringing this format back on e-readers. But if you say, made the wrong choice, it would play a short video clip of you being killed by a dragon or something.

I think the idea was for a multi-media reading experience. Sort'a like the Skeleton creek series, but with the clips built-in.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
don't know about books, but I think video games are moving in that direction. I mean the fantasy/RPG ones. DRAGONAGE: Origins (Xbox 360) lets you play as a bunch of different characters, and all along the way you can choose from three to five different responses to what's happening. Eventually, it all leads you back to certain checkpoints, but you can do things in different orders, and each character approaches certain from a different path. Pretty complex...

And my other son has an app on his iPod called MyQuest or some such that gives you two choices, like Open the Door or Go down the Stairs, and different adventures are in each place.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Not sure of anything recently in this area. I remember the Fighting Fantasy books very fondly from my youth! I recently discovered this: http://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/ which is charming, I think.

The difficulty with doing books like that these days is probably that kids aren't used to playing pencil/paper/dice games; but it would lend itself perfectly to a smartphone app. Actually, someone needs to get on the phone to the Choose Your Own Adventure / Fighting Fantasy guys and offer to write one using their back catalogue. Hmm...

EDIT: Ah: http://www.fightingfantasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1763&Itemid=2

Like most of my good ideas, someone had it six months ago...

Last edited:

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day I liked to read the "Give yourself Goosebumps" series, a choose-your-own-adventure strand of R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books. They were pretty bad, the story changing far too quickly in order to give you a "scare" at the end of every page, so you ended up forgetting what had only just happened. Also, due to my obsessive nature, i used to end up holding about eight pages open with my fingers so i could go back and try every eventuality.