Are agents turned off by published excerpts?

caraway

Registered
Reaction score
Are agents turned off at excerpts already being published from a novel manuscript? I've had about five chapters of a book published in literary journals, each as a short story. That would be about 70 ms pages of 650. Is that an issue with agents? Also, if a chapter has been revised since the publication to fit better into the manuscript, how is that viewed?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Quite the contrary, I would think. You can find plenty of books, especially in literary fiction, which acknowledge previous publications of excerpts in litmags. And they often note that the earlier version was in somewhat different form.

The major thing that previous pubs of this sort tell the agent is that somebody out there likes your work. Which tends to make the agent like it more, too, before even seeing any of it.

caw

Danthia

I imagine it would be a rights issue, since you've already sold first rights on parts of it, but I don't know how much partial published material from one book would affect the rights of the entire book. You'd probably need to speak to someone who understand copyright law to find out for sure.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Blacbird.
If excerpts have appeared in respected short fiction mags this con only increase the level of interest. The key here is respected mags, publication on your cousin's website doesn't qualify.
I don't believe the rights are much of a problem unless vast chunks of it have previously appeared