Interesting situation

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Well, since the show's over, I'm porting this to the subforum, directly to the subforum. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Eight days after sending in my money, I get four form emails today. Now either the post office isn't being too efficient (two day delivery is their estimate) or he can't figure out how to delete an email address from his system. Have to see whether he figures it out or I need to block him, not that that requires much effort.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about just sending him more money, but if it didn't work the first time, why would he be smart enough to figure it out the second?

Actually, taking advantage of technology, I've set my email server to just automatically return his emails to him. Fill up his in box a bit. Unfortunately, anti-spam features prevents me from returning a thousand or so to him.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Elisabeth Bruce

Registered
Reaction score
I needed to watch this as it happened. The sheer volume and weight of emails would have sunk me without trace.

I've been through the various B&BC boards, read woeful posts by destroyed writers and read a lot at Writer Beware - they have all been eye-openers, but watching you play this out is something else.

I nearly fell for something like this, but with another 'company' and the only reason I didn't is because I didn't have a house to mortgage or a decent car to sell.

If we don't have scams like this operating in Australia, I'm beginning to think we will soon.

Thank you so much for doing this.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I came across this today and it came as no surprise. http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10260&start=15
It seems that Robert Fletcher has become synonymous with the word scam.

Neither 'Robert' nor 'Fletcher' are particular unusual names and there are probably many men with this name. Is there a reason you think this guy with an address is Scotland is the same one with an address in Florida? Did I miss something? (I might've done...I'm tired!)

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
If you read through the thread I've posted it's a ficticious residence that scammers are known to use. Not necessarily the Bobby Fletcher you're referring to but interesting to see how it has been used in reference to a scam.

williamsjkw

williamsjkw
Registered
Reaction score
I am a new author and an indie author at that my book has gotten some pretty good reviews, and was considering getting an agent but after reading all that I'm not sure that is the best way to go anymore. I mean how do you know anymore.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that is the best way to go anymore. I mean how do you know anymore.

You know by checking out their clients and sales history.

As to whether or not you need an agent, it all depends on what you want. If you're doing well self-publishing, then fine. If you want a book placed with one of the Big-5, then get an agent. It's all a matter of what works - and doesn't - for you.