Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Interesting situation

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Heh. Well, since the show's over, I'm porting this to the subforum, directly to the subforum. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Feeling lucky, Query? jclarkdawe's Avatar
    Eight days after sending in my money, I get four form emails today. Now either the post office isn't being too efficient (two day delivery is their estimate) or he can't figure out how to delete an email address from his system. Have to see whether he figures it out or I need to block him, not that that requires much effort.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
    EQUINE LIABILITY: WHAT EVERY HORSEOWNER NEEDS TO KNOW Published 2002 sold through

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    Just send more money.

*snicker*

Feeling lucky, Query? jclarkdawe's Avatar
    I thought about just sending him more money, but if it didn't work the first time, why would he be smart enough to figure it out the second?

Actually, taking advantage of technology, I've set my email server to just automatically return his emails to him. Fill up his in box a bit. Unfortunately, anti-spam features prevents me from returning a thousand or so to him.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
    EQUINE LIABILITY: WHAT EVERY HORSEOWNER NEEDS TO KNOW Published 2002 sold through

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.

figuring it all out Elisabeth Bruce's Avatar
    I needed to watch this as it happened. The sheer volume and weight of emails would have sunk me without trace.

I've been through the various B&BC boards, read woeful posts by destroyed writers and read a lot at Writer Beware - they have all been eye-openers, but watching you play this out is something else.

I nearly fell for something like this, but with another 'company' and the only reason I didn't is because I didn't have a house to mortgage or a decent car to sell.

If we don't have scams like this operating in Australia, I'm beginning to think we will soon.

Thank you so much for doing this.
    I care, I just care. Today you are on my list.

Ne tequcesiverius extra Shrouded's Avatar
    I came across this today and it came as no surprise. http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vie...10260&start=15
    It seems that Robert Fletcher has become synonymous with the word scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I came across this today and it came as no surprise. http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/vie...10260&start=15
    It seems that Robert Fletcher has become synonymous with the word scam.
    Neither 'Robert' nor 'Fletcher' are particular unusual names and there are probably many men with this name. Is there a reason you think this guy with an address is Scotland is the same one with an address in Florida? Did I miss something? (I might've done...I'm tired!)
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Ne tequcesiverius extra Shrouded's Avatar
    If you read through the thread I've posted it's a ficticious residence that scammers are known to use. Not necessarily the Bobby Fletcher you're referring to but interesting to see how it has been used in reference to a scam.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    No chance that this is our Bobby. The language lacks his characteristic quirks, it's far outside of his MO, and he's ever-so-proud of the fact that he owns a "yacht" himself.

I am a new author and an indie author at that my book has gotten some pretty good reviews, and was considering getting an agent but after reading all that I'm not sure that is the best way to go anymore. I mean how do you know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by williamsjkw View Post
    I'm not sure that is the best way to go anymore. I mean how do you know anymore.
    You know by checking out their clients and sales history.

As to whether or not you need an agent, it all depends on what you want. If you're doing well self-publishing, then fine. If you want a book placed with one of the Big-5, then get an agent. It's all a matter of what works - and doesn't - for you.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567