Ugh - mistake in query.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent out a query follow-up email and realized, just as I hit send, that I wrote "I an writing..." instead of "I am writing...."

I could just kick myself!! A mistake in the very first sentence! But I shouldn't send a corrected email, should I? What would you do???

I'm usually so careful about things like this - it just infuriates me!

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you misspelled their name, leave it be. If they mention it, apologize, otherwise... they know everyone is human.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent out a query follow-up email and realized, just as I hit send, that I wrote "I an writing..." instead of "I am writing...."

I could just kick myself!! A mistake in the very first sentence! But I shouldn't send a corrected email, should I? What would you do???

Walk away and forget it. Sending a followup email to point out a non-material typo is not going to do you any good.

~suki

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Yep - you guys are right. It sucks but I guess if the query itself is rocking, she'll overlook the dumb error. Sigh... Thanks.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I agree, leave it. Everyone makes mistakes. I know I can reread something looking for mistakes like that and no matter how much I pay attention, I miss something I see only later.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
It's already out, let it go. Everyone makes mistakes. :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I wrote "Query for me memoir" in the subject line of a query once. Yeah. Here's the thing: He requested a full, so it wasn't a big deal.

Maybe he thought I was a pirate :D

Gozzy

Registered
Reaction score
Cleopatra, I don't think there is any need to worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, I recently sent a pitch from my iPhone and managed to mistype my own bloomin' name (I called myself Ron instead of Rob)!

annew

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, let it go and let it be a lesson that everyone is human. Including the editors.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Email needs a "recall" button.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the support, guys. My mortification is fading. And your stories about your own mistakes are making me smile. Someone should write a book....:)

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
Chances are good that they won't even notice.

Relax...we've all done it! And now you have gotten it out of the way--you should be clear for a while.:)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Today I got a reply to a query with a request for the article. I was pleased as punch until I noticed that in the original query I had written the wrong magazine name. Fortunately the mag didn't either notice or care, but still! I am deeply embarrassed anyway. Whoops!