• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Asimov's Science Fiction

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this will probably get moved, but I honestly couldn't find a thread on Asimov's SF. I suppose there's really nothing to discuss or check about Asimov's, its prestige speaks for itself!

Anyways, I know many of you talented AWers have published on Asimov's, and so I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I just got a very complimentary rejection on a story that I submitted. Basically, they did not like the ending. Now, what makes me ponder over this is the fact that they say on the website that they respond with form rejections, but this was definitely not a form. The editor took the time to compliment me and tell me what it was she did not like of my story (the ending). So, here's my conundrum: would it be worth trying to re-write the ending and re-submit or should I just let it go and move on?

Thanks!

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
So, here's my conundrum: would it be worth trying to re-write the ending and re-submit or should I just let it go and move on?

If you agree with her suggestions, you could revise, *then* query Sheila to see if she'd take another look. There's no guarantee she'll say yes, but she might. But don't resubmit without asking first.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If you agree with her suggestions, you could revise, *then* query Sheila to see if she'd take another look. There's no guarantee she'll say yes, but she might. But don't resubmit without asking first.

Would you query via snail mail or use the general email on the website?
Thanks!

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I have revised my story but haven't heard back from Sheila. I'm not even sure they read the email. I have two options: try Analog (although I liked Asimov's better because the guidelines specifically say they are interested in "character-driven stories", and mine is definitely character-driven); or resubmit with a cover letter where I say that I could not find any policy on re-submissions (for example Hitchcock's Mystery's guidelines clearly state they do not take resubmissions) and where and why I made the revisions....

Suggestions?

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that was going to be the next choice...
Grazie, Cavaliere Marino!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I have revised my story but haven't heard back from Sheila....Suggestions?

They do read the email, but they don't necessarily reply within a few nanoseconds. My suggestion is that you chill out and wait a couple weeks before you move on to the next market. Under NO circumstances should you resubmit without Sheila's okay. You will only make a bad impression.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
OK...
Even if I explain in the cover letter though?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
OK...
Even if I explain in the cover letter though?

Even if you explain.

Editors are not shy about asking for a rewrite. Sheila did not ask you for one. You really must not resubmit unless 1) you did take several days to a week to revise the story properly, 2) you got feedback on those revisions, and 3) you hear back from her that she wants to see the new version.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, yes, it was implicit that I was going to do all of that, I've already sent out the revised version to my faithful beta readers, and waiting to go back and forth with them a few times.

It's mind-boggling because from what she said it's really the last page that I needed to change, which of course I am willing to do... But then you're right, she could've asked and she chose not to.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Speaking in general....

Be aware that when an editor rejects a story and gives a reason, it is very likely not the *only* reason. It's just *one* reason, often the most obvious one. That's why you have to query first before you resubmit.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Good point, thanks. Sorry for being impatient.
One of the agents I queried with my latest novel said my idea had merit but he usually demands a few publications before taking on a new writer. So, when I saw that Asimov's was a close miss, I slammed my head against the wall.
I know though, it's a high steep incline and one has to tumble numerous times before (if ever) reaching the top.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Electronic Submission to ASIMOV'S (merged into thread in B&BC)

I've been trying all weekend to submit a story to ISAAC ASIMOV'S using their electronic submission form, but I can't get it to go through. I sent an email about it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Has anyone else had this problem?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might have some trouble for a little while; from what I understand, the electronic submission system was only just unveiled so it's probably innundated with traffic.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
You might have some trouble for a little while; from what I understand, the electronic submission system was only just unveiled so it's probably innundated with traffic.

Thanks. When I click the Submit button, it changes to "Please wait..." and stays there for hours, till I break the connection.

Electronic submission is an excellent idea, though. I don't know why all magazines wouldn't have it as an option.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've been trying all weekend to submit a story to ISAAC ASIMOV'S using their electronic submission form, but I can't get it to go through. I sent an email about it, but I haven't heard back yet.

It worked fine for me and the rejection came through quickly. It might be the servers are overloaded.

When you're successful, it'll send you an email confirmation, so you'll know.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com

Nope... mine went through OK :)

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
I just tried again, and it didn't work again. I let it go for maybe an hour. How quickly did it go through for you fellows?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've tried three more times today, with no luck. I'm using Internet Explorer. Surely that'll do it.

It's not that unusual for a site to work in one browser and not another (or in one version of a certain browser and not the others). You can't assume it's okay because you're using a major browser. Testing it in another browser is a good way to check if it's a browser issue or not.