• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. / Flux / Midnight Ink

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm glad you're doing well with them, Mandy. I've heard tell of royalty statements getting lost! But the authors I know who have moved on DID really love their editors-- it was the publisher they had problems with. They had little to no marketing support at all.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I'm glad you're doing well with them, Mandy. I've heard tell of royalty statements getting lost! But the authors I know who have moved on DID really love their editors-- it was the publisher they had problems with. They had little to no marketing support at all.

I've had lost royalty statements-- CONSISTENTLY-- at a big six i write for. As in, every 6 months, like clockwork, I need to chase it down. ha.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
That's disappointing. I was so thrilled with her quick response to my partial, and I really thought she was excited about my work after talking to her at the conference. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. :e2shrug:

Replying because I still have no response. I can see no response to a query, but no response to a request for a full? Bummer.

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it's agents only...

Falling Clementine

Registered
Reaction score
A word of caution to those thinking of submitting to Flux. I have it on good authority that Flux is renegotiating advances after contracts are signed, and they've done so with several different authors. In most cases I've heard of, Flux is doing this not with their first time authors, but authors publishing either book 2 or 3 with them. Basically, Flux asks for a sequel, an advance is agreed on, and then they send the author a contract. The author signs the contract, turns it in, and then writes the book and turns that in. Flux, on the other hand, will not sign their own contract, and will insist on renegotiating the advance amount after the author has already turned in their book. One can't help but wonder if they're going to quibble over a couple thousand, if there isn't a deeper financial issue at play.

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Times are tough everywhere I assume...I personally love the parent company-just signed a contract for my 2nd book, no probs with advance, just FYI. So who knows.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard the same rumors Falling Clementine has regarding Flux. It's ethically horrible, and this is just one of several reasons that has made me leery of having my agent sub me there. Yes, they've been a launching pad for some great YA authors, but that doesn't excuse their current behavior.

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
The last post was from 2013! Does anyone have any new info?!
I have two books with them (Llewellyn) and love the company. They pay advances, and after publication, royalties on time. I am thinking of submitting another proposal one of these days. My books are nonfiction, so I can only speak for the parent company, not FLUX.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Llewellyn is shutting down Midnight Ink after its spring/summer 2019 books are published. Confirmed by several authors and industry people on Facebook today.

Last edited: