• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. / Flux / Midnight Ink

mysterygrl

Registered
Reaction score
As for how they treat their fiction authors...I don't know. One thing I do know is that after having some friends publish with them, I did not bother to approach them when I was looking for a publisher.

Karen, I would LOVE to know anything you can share about their experiences. I've been thinking about submitting to Midnight Ink, but I'm concerned about their limited distribution.

Thanks!

Karen_Dales

Registered
Reaction score
The authors I know published with the parent company, Llewellyn. I don't know anyone who published with their imprint, but I would imagine it's about the same. Llewellyn does have a very good distribution network, getting their books, calendars, etc, onto bookshelves in large chains. Speaking from my experience, I've seen their products at Indigo and Chapters (which are equivalent to B&N in the US).

If you think they may take a chance on you, try. Submit and see what happens. If you don't like anything you can always decline if they want you.

Karen Dales
Author
"Angel of Death: Book One of the Chosen"
Release - Summer 2009
http://thechosenchronicles.com
[email protected]

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Ink

Has anyone heard of this?

http://www.midnightinkbooks.com/

This is a publishing place, yes? I saw a sale today in Publishers Marketplace for them....Brian Farrey at Midnight Ink....but I don't find him on Agent Query nor do I find a page for him in PM....

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're asking. Midnight Ink is a publisher, and Brian is an editor there. The sale was TO him, not by him.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I believe they publish mysteries. It's been a while since I looked into MI so their policy may have changed--perhaps expanded what they publish. Llewellyn's been around a long time and their books are in just about every book store I've ever been in.
Hmm...I may have to revisit MI.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I believe they publish mysteries. It's been a while since I looked into MI so their policy may have changed--perhaps expanded what they publish. Llewellyn's been around a long time and their books are in just about every book store I've ever been in.
Hmm...I may have to revisit MI.

From what I gathered in PM, they pay advances, yes?

Sorry for all the questions, still new at all this, especially if it's not dealing with an agent.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Flux

Hello, I searched back over ten pages and couldn't find this one so I am sorry if I didn't look far back enough and there is already a thread for this.

I came across there website http://www.fluxnow.com/index.php sort of by chance I was just doing some research. From there website I can't figure out if they are an agency or publisher or what.

They are currently accepting unsolicited submissions and I sort of feel like this could be a good omen for me. My brother died two years ago and his online handle was Phlux. Corny I know but I thought maybe he was pointing me in a good direction.

Any information you can give me about them would be most helpful. Thankyou.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this helps, but I submitted a YA novel for their Flux imprint. A few months later I recieved probably the nicest rejection I'd ever gotten. They were cortdial, informative, said what they liked and didn't like about the novel. In the end, it simply wasn't the type of YA they were interested in at the time.

I got nothing but respect for these guys.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Flux, the YA imprint of Llewellyn Worldwide, is the publisher of my YA fantasy series. The first book was part of their launch in Sept 2006. (Llewellyn has been around since the late 1800s or early 1900s, so over 100 years.) Absolutely 100% legit, and a great place for first-time authors. Plus, check out their covers...mine are drop-dead gorgeous, if I do say so myself! :D

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
what is the turnaround time with flux?

I've been reading alot of thier YA books lately and they seem to publish some pretty good stuff. I'm thinking of querying them and just wondered how long thier turnaround is on rejections. (i never expect to get requests. lol)

Are they nice to deal with?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

I've been reading alot of thier YA books lately and they seem to publish some pretty good stuff. I'm thinking of querying them and just wondered how long thier turnaround is on rejections. (i never expect to get requests. lol)

I don't know what the current turnaround time is; it's been several years since my books were accepted. Heck, it's been several years since they came out now! There's also a different acquisitions editor.

They're definitely nice to deal with, although most of the staff who worked on my books have moved on to different pastures.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the current turnaround time is; it's been several years since my books were accepted. Heck, it's been several years since they came out now! There's also a different acquisitions editor.

They're definitely nice to deal with, although most of the staff who worked on my books have moved on to different pastures.

thanks terie.

so you think they as a whole are worth approaching?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

FWIW...I queried them May 2009 and they haven't responded. I think the guidelines indicate they only respond if they're interested.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys. keep us posted erin.

rathhaven

Registered
Reaction score
Queried 1/5 Requested ms 1/7. Very nice editor indicated he was backlogged and probably wouldn't get around to reading until the end of Feb. Have seen several flux titles in bookstores. Picked up a few that I really enjoyed.

Holding breath

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Queried 1/5 Requested ms 1/7. Very nice editor indicated he was backlogged and probably wouldn't get around to reading until the end of Feb. Have seen several flux titles in bookstores. Picked up a few that I really enjoyed.

Holding breath

Flux is a big deal. keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

ng927

Registered
Reaction score
Pulling up an old thread . . . I want to submit an astrology manuscript to Llewellyn (not one of their imprints) but can't figure out who to address the query to. It doesn't say on their sumissions page and they do list some editors on their blog, but it doesn't say if any of them deal with astrology. I've always been told not to use the general 'Dear Editor' thing, but is that how I have to go with them?

ng927

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I've already finished everything, manuscript's set, query's done, did the comparison research and formatted everything - this was all I had left! Irksome!

Deleted member 42

Llewyllen is already a well known and respected publisher of new age/ pagan books. They recently have decided to branch out and started their other lines. But everything is legit.

Well, no, not everything--they publish shite by people like Douglas Monroe, as well as legit authors like Ceiswyr Serith.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
submitted my ya paranormal to them. We'll see what happens.