• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. / Flux / Midnight Ink

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few articles I am thinking about submitting for their annuals, but I honestly don't know anyone personally who has been published by them.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I personally haven't been published by Llewellyn - they turned down my YA fiction ms -- but several people I know have had articles published in their annuals and almanacs. They're a legitimate publisher, and from my understanding they are generally on time with their payments.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That is very good to know! I own so many books that were published by Llewellyn. I have always wanted to believe that they would be a very straight-up publisher because of the focus of their company in general, but I didn't know for sure. It's nice to have some confirmation on that point.

I emailed them about a year ago and was told that it is actually very difficult to get a fiction piece published by Llewellyn as they are a very self-help/non fiction oriented publisher. The reply was extemely friendly and helpful which surprises me now that I have learned more about publishers. I honestly can't remember who it was that I contacted about it in the first place, but I had no clue about protocol so it could have been anyone in the company for all I know! She did tell me that they do accept fiction occasionally, but that it is not their normal focus.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Carole said:
That is very good to know! I own so many books that were published by Llewellyn. I have always wanted to believe that they would be a very straight-up publisher because of the focus of their company in general, but I didn't know for sure. It's nice to have some confirmation on that point.

I emailed them about a year ago and was told that it is actually very difficult to get a fiction piece published by Llewellyn as they are a very self-help/non fiction oriented publisher. The reply was extemely friendly and helpful which surprises me now that I have learned more about publishers. I honestly can't remember who it was that I contacted about it in the first place, but I had no clue about protocol so it could have been anyone in the company for all I know! She did tell me that they do accept fiction occasionally, but that it is not their normal focus.

Yeah, the person I was in touch with Megan Atwood, who is their YA acquisitions person. She was extremely nice, and very friendly. They requested a full ms, which eventually they came back and said, "Good story, but not quite right for us." I later submitted it to Spilled Candy, and we're negotiating a contract now.

I suspect that unless you're Starhawk or Silver Ravenwolf or a "name" pagan author, it's unlikely Llewellyn will publish your fiction. But at least they're nice about it :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My husband cracked up at that! He says that I am way cooler than any pagan author out there, but then again he tends to be very biased!

I actually think Ms. Ravenwolf started from the ground up with Llewellyn and didn't have any fiction published by them until years after her Silver Broomstick book. I think she created her own niche within the company with her fiction series on teen witchcraft, but I may be way off on that. That is sort-of grapevine info at best.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Carole said:
My husband cracked up at that! He says that I am way cooler than any pagan author out there, but then again he tends to be very biased!

I actually think Ms. Ravenwolf started from the ground up with Llewellyn and didn't have any fiction published by them until years after her Silver Broomstick book. I think she created her own niche within the company with her fiction series on teen witchcraft, but I may be way off on that. That is sort-of grapevine info at best.

It's fairly accurate from what I've heard, through an acquaintance who knows $RW personally. Silver makes a phenomenal amount of money for Llewellyn, and so my suspicion is that when she said to them, "Hey, guys, I have an idea for this teen fiction book!" they probably didn't hesitate to let her roll with it.

I'm actually playing around with a workbook for pagan kids, and eventually I plan to submit it to Llewellyn. They're extremely receptive to new authors, and I'd love to get the chance to work with them.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
A Pagan workbook for kids! What a fabulous idea! I have toyed with the idea of Pagan books geared toward children, but never actually started anything. There are so few available, and the ones I have seen are pitiful at best! I think that could be a really great untapped market. I wish you the most fabulous luck with that project. Children are so neglected in the Pagan genre, even thought most Pagan firends of mine have several kids. You would think someone would have the corner on the market already. I hope it's you :)

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
It's been kind of a dead board -- apparently we're all off reading Harry Potter
And the more fortunate among us are at Worldcon.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
You lucky dog, you!
Hah! I wish! I'm not there. I'm just casting envious looks across the pond.

Carole, Worldcon is the World Science Fiction Convention. Among other things, it's where the Hugo Awards are announced. This year it's in Glasgow. Sigh.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
I'm just casting envious looks across the pond.

Carole, Worldcon is the World Science Fiction Convention. Among other things, it's where the Hugo Awards are announced. This year it's in Glasgow.
See me sitting here, not in Glasgow, feeling exceedingly sorry for myself.

Carole, Llewellyn's been around for half of forever, and for most of that time they've been the preeminent trade publisher for occult-related titles. That doesn't mean they won't screw you over, or that they still know what they're doing. Times change, and companies change with them. People come and go. Exercise normal prudence in your dealings with any publishing company.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, so far so good. I received a response to my questions in record time, (as in...a response within a DAY) and they are unbelievably friendly to boot!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Carole said:
Well, so far so good. I received a response to my questions in record time, (as in...a response within a DAY) and they are unbelievably friendly to boot!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

That's awesome, Carole! I have an article I had thought about submitting for the Herbal Almanac, but I had assumed it was too late in the year to turn it in. Maybe I'll go ahead and shoot them a query to see if they've got space available.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Ms Wicked, I meant to tell you...

You can submit to the annuals year-round. They close out on August 31 for the 2007 annuals, but they accept subimmison for them year round. Kate is an absolute DOLL. VERY easy to work with.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Carole said:
You can submit to the annuals year-round. They close out on August 31 for the 2007 annuals, but they accept subimmison for them year round. Kate is an absolute DOLL. VERY easy to work with.

I went ahead and submitted my article to Ed Day in the annuals department. He got back to me within a couple of days, and we're just tweaking a few things in my article. Looks like I might have a sale, if he likes the end results. Yay!!

I think I'll probably start working up some articles for future annuals. I enjoy doing those types of thing.

I've also decided to put more time and effort into my witchy workbook for Young Ones, and I hope to submit that to them by the end of the year. A friend of mine is buddies with Ray Buckland, so maybe I can get him to write a nice cover blurb for me.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
I went ahead and submitted my article to Ed Day in the annuals department. He got back to me within a couple of days, and we're just tweaking a few things in my article. Looks like I might have a sale, if he likes the end results. Yay!!

Fabulous! Which annual? It'd be really cool if our articles were in the same one. For my first publishing experience ever, Llewellyn has defo been low stress!

I think I'll probably start working up some articles for future annuals. I enjoy doing those types of thing.

Right on! That's exactly what I have been thinking, too. This type of writing kinda just flows right out of me.

A friend of mine is buddies with Ray Buckland, so maybe I can get him to write a nice cover blurb for me.

Smart aleck. Go ahead...name drop. See if *I* care! ~**~laughing~**~

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
PattiTheWicked said:
I later submitted it to Spilled Candy, and we're negotiating a contract now.
Congrats! Keep us posted on that. Spilled Candy is in my list of where to send one of my current WIPs, once it's no longer a WIP.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more opinions from folks who've been published by Spilled Candy. Someone PM'd me* about them back when I posted about them in the Pagan forums, saying (essentially) that they were a pain in the butt to work with, so I got worried. But I had no one else's opinions to compare/contrast that with.

*I don't seem to have the PM anymore, sadly.

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
Flux Books

Does anyone know anything about Flux Books? They are an imprint of Llewellyn Publishing specializing in YA--that's about all I know. Has anyone worked with them? Thanks for any information.

Amy

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
I know that Andrew Karre is the acquiring editor of FLUX. I submitted to Llewellyn last year and even though he passed on my manuscript, he wrote that if I was interested in ideas for a revision to give him a call. Which I did. He spend over thirty minutes with me going over ideas on how to strengthen my novel. Not many editors will do that. I'd love to have him as my editor.

You can look up info on the flux line. like submission guidelines. I know that they are also planning on having a blog. Llewellyn Publishers are putting alot of advertising into this new teen line.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
Llewellyn, which used to be largely a publisher of occult and spiritual nonfiction, is getting very aggressive in the fiction market, and had a huge presence at BookExpo this year. At a time when most publishers seem to be trimming their lists in fiction, Llewellyn seems to be expanding, and they have a number of newish imprints.

I don't know how this will pan out for them in terms of the bottom line, but I'm cheering for them.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
They seem to have nice placement, at least in my Borders. I've seen at least two of their books in a Borders in the past week -- one hardback and one trade paperback. They had multiple copies of each, and the hardback was facing out. That's very good placement for a hardback -- in fact, the cover caught my eye, and I will probably buy it next time I wander in. :D

It was also nice to see a couple of new YA novels that weren't "It Girls" clones. ;)