Chris Matthews: "I Forgot He Was Black"

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why is Chris Matthews the man who makes liberals smack themselves upside the head? :e2smack:

Mostly because he goes on live television and says cringe inducing things like his remarks following President Obama's State of the Union speech:

I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and passed so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about. I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And here he is president of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight — completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion. It was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think in terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard. A very subtle fact. It's so hard to talk about. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am. I thought it was profound that way.

I know exactly what Chris "I feel a tingle" Matthews means. I know I forget I'm Black for hours. Sometimes for the whole day. I'm profound that way.

Sweet Creepin' Jebus. Does MSNBC really have to wonder why they're stuck in third place behind Fox and CNN?

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I like the idea of post-racial (perhaps with the ideal of post-racist in my mind), since I feel "race" is a stupidly shallow identifier and thus doesn't extend to anything of common understanding except appearances or impractical, general knowledge. If we're talking, rather, about a "culture," or "cultural group" or a "cultural identity" I think we can be more specific about which culture we actually mean. Much of what constitutes Race is really descriptive of culture, anyway. Conversely, skin color and other shared physical traits can be central - or at least fundamentally significant -- to a culture, and that warrants understanding in and of itself. There's no clearer (more vivid) example for me than, say, 1920s Harlem Black and White cultures, how integrated the colors were in the collective unconscious, if I can call it that. How important the color of skin was then! I'm not sure how important skin color or other shared physical traits are, relative to 1920s, but Chris Matthews' idiotic comment illuminates the exact way we are not post-racial at all.

AMC

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Matthews strikes me as a real-life version of Ian Miller's parents in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

Guatemalan, Greek... is all the same.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I'm married to a woman who's Australian-born but of 75% Chinese descent and she goes months without thinking of herself as Chinese. Essentially, she doesn't think about it until someone reminds her. Which where I live, means that months pass.

And that to me, is the beginning and end of the so-called race question. Culture matters; appearance doesn't. Obama's speech tells me his tribe; his skin tells me nothing.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this the other night. What an utterly stupid thing to say! Guess we can tell how Mathews views the world. And the funny thing is, he said it with a sense of, I dunno, pride. Like gee, the president is so wonderful I forgot what color he is. WHAT??

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, Chris Matthews. He's like a caricature of a parody.

Maybe it's because Obama is so 'clean' and 'articulate', with none of that 'Negro dialect'?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The problem IMHO is not so much the idea that you can not be thinking about race when you talk to some one, but the implication that he/we normally think of Obama constantly as 'our black president'. That's what is insane IMHO. Yes he is black, but he has been in office for a year--who (still?) has that as a constant, minute-by-minute front of mind issue everytime he is on TV?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same 'praise' regarding my daughters.
Wow, they don't ACT like black girls...

WTF??????

And, like the above mentioned, this is said to me with a semblance of pride...as if they're just damn proud of their observence and giving some sort of profound compliment.

If it weren't for this black eye blurring my vision, I'd squash my cigerette in their face!
(that was humor...for some of you that will rep me that I sounded like white trash...and I say that with a semblance of pride :) .....)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
it shouldn't be surprising that matthews thinks this way. much of obama's appeal for many of his tingling fans rested—and continues to rest—in the symbolism of his race.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
If it weren't for this black eye blurring my vision, I'd squash my cigerette in their face!
(that was humor...for some of you that will rep me that I sounded like white trash...and I say that with a semblance of pride :) .....)
See... white trash is a culture and skin doesn't matter there either. I'd rep you, 'cept my teen daughter just drank the last of my six-pack and I need to yell at my halfwit boy to go cut me a length of garden-hose to whip her with.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
See... white trash is a culture and skin doesn't matter there either. I'd rep you, 'cept my teen daughter just drank the last of my six-pack and I need to yell at my halfwit boy to go cut me a length of garden-hose to whip her with.
Said son created by your uncle/brother/husband, eh?

Gah...laughed so hard over your post, I choked on pill I was in the middle of downing!!!

Think Gollum's graveling voice: 'it burns...it BURNS!!!'

ha...that's what SHE said...

sorry...

it's the rocking motion of this trailer...strong winds outside...:ROFL:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The problem IMHO is not so much the idea that you can not be thinking about race when you talk to some one, but the implication that he/we normally think of Obama constantly as 'our black president'. That's what is insane IMHO. Yes he is black, but he has been in office for a year--who (still?) has that as a constant, minute-by-minute front of mind issue everytime he is on TV?
I think you're vastly underestimating the number of people who still think that way.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Why is this guy still on TV? Hannity is too much of a cheerleader for me, but at least he engages the opposition. Even shared his program with one.

But Matthews? You tell me. He lost me with the tingle up his leg. Does he give conservatives legitimate airtime? Or does he just giggle when Obama comes on the screen?

I'll admit that I haven't watched him in a long time. Along with a lot of other non-viewers.
Somebody please explain him to me.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it shouldn't be surprising that matthews thinks this way. much of obama's appeal for many of his tingling fans rested—and continues to rest—in the symbolism of his race.

What do you base this upon? Your personal absence of tingling or your decades of expertise understanding how White people interact with intelligent, articulate and charismatic Black men?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
What do you base this upon? Your personal absence of tingling or your decades of expertise understanding how White people interact with intelligent, articulate and charismatic Black men?

i base it mostly on how his cheerleaders so readily leap to race in order to deflect criticism and demonize his opposition.

it's intellectually dishonesty and cynically manipulative.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i base it mostly on how his cheerleaders so readily leap to race in order to deflect criticism and demonize his opposition.

it's intellectually dishonesty and cynically manipulative.

I don't think it makes someone an Obama "cheerleader" to cite race as a contributing factor in some of criticism leveled against him. All you have to be is a conscious American citizen with an knowledge of this nation's troubled racial history, an understanding of how much of what White people know about Black people comes second hand as many of them have little interaction with members outside of their own racial club.

There's nothing intellectually dishonest or cynically manipulative to note Barack Obama has been treated in ways no Chief Executive has before him.

What is intellectually dishonest and cynically manipulative are those individuals whose disdain and contempt for him is based upon his race. Chris Matthews fawns over Obama because he's never met a Black man like him and that makes him an insufferable boor, but it doesn't make him unique. Many Black people hear those same words but only the phrasing changes. "I don't think of you as Black." It's meant as a compliment, but it's just as big an insult as calling me the N-word.

For those of us who grew up around and learned from exception Black men and women, Barack Obama is not some sort of unicorn or other mythical beast. There's nothing special about Obama in that aspect. I knew and know people like Barack Obama every day of my waking life. They aren't unususal to me as they are to Chris Matthews who apparently was led to believe these kind of Black people only existed in Sidney Poitier films and The Cosby Show.

Haskins, I don't know whether to take you seriously or not sometimes. If you don't believe there's no racial component involved in some--and I emphasize the word "some"---of the criticism leveled at Obama--whether it's the Birthers, the bigots that show up at Tea Party protests, the Joe Wilsons of the world that shout out "You lie!" and are applauded as heroic figures by the Right, and the others who attempt to deny the legitimacy and authority of the president--then I don't know what to tell you and really don't intend to spend my time trying to convince you otherwise.

You and your little persecution complex should be very happy together.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
There's no doubt that there's been a racial component in some of the criticism leveled at Obama.

Chris Matthews is proof that there's been a racial component in some of the praise leveled at Obama. I can't decide if Matthews is more the beaming parent, proud of little Barry's acting almost like a grownup, or if it's more of the "Dang, I never knew bears could dance" variety.