The bell tolls for Chavez?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the days where we would send CIA assasins to kill someone like him.

Well, they did engineer a coup in April of 2002, IIRC, that did get him out of office for a few weeks. The Venezuelans were so outraged at our interference they brought him back and that's why we're where we are today. Had we left things alone in '02, they might've figured out what a doofus he is before he consolidated enough power to be a lot harder to dislodge than he was then.

We need to learn to mind out own business. Getting involved in other countries' politics almost never works out the way we want it to.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, they did engineer a coup in April of 2002, IIRC, that did get him out of office for a few weeks. The Venezuelans were so outraged at our interference they brought him back and that's why we're where we are today. Had we left things alone in '02, they might've figured out what a doofus he is before he consolidated enough power to be a lot harder to dislodge than he was then.

We need to learn to mind out own business. Getting involved in other countries' politics almost never works out the way we want it to.

First of all, we were more outraged by the fact these people were disolving the parliament and firing state governors while chanting "Democracy! Democracy"!, but it wasn't a few weeks, it was only a weekend.

And it's nothing at all like Manuel Zelaya (I know some comparision may sprung), Zelaya was pretty much spurn by all the branches of the government before actions were taken.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, we were more outraged by the fact these people were disolving the parliament and firing state governors while chanting "Democracy! Democracy"!, but it wasn't a few weeks, it was only a weekend.

That doesn't change my basic thesis: It wasn't our country, it was none of our business, we need to tend to our own knitting because we just aren't that good at directing the chaos we unleash. We rarely have been.