Hating what you wrote once it's finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
I hate what I write as well. I'll have this urge to delete my whole WIP every once in a while and I have to resist...a few weeks ago, I acutally deleted it. Not a good idea at all. It did feel good in a odd way, but a few days later I regretted it (thank goodness I had another copy saved by autorecover).

Even if you hate what you're writing, don't delete. Deleting is permanent.

I dunno, I don't like hating what I write and feeling like a failure but I can't help it. *shrug*

But I totally understand, I guess some writers are just like that?

DennyCrane

Dude. Seriously.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkrock.com
I also hate all my stuff. In the back of my mind, and even after I'm fully edited, I have this lingering self-doubt about the work. The best I can convince myself is that what I've written is "okay."

At some point, I let my agent know my feelings. Mistake. I've decided that it's better to feign confidence than admit a lack of - at least to those betting on you. He gave me a little pep talk about the process by relaying a story about Khaled Hosseini. No idea if it's true or not, but apparently Hosseini writes a chapter, sets it aside, rewrites it again without reference, and repeats until his is satisfied. Nobody does that unless they have a certain dissatisfaction about their writing.

I think that was my agent's point in telling the story. That, or he wanted me to shut up and work harder.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW if you slaved and toiled, perhaps thats your first clue?

Status
Not open for further replies.