In need of a good insult!

abrenner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heywomencomics.blogspot.com
I've come to a point where I need a good, insult-type word to tack on the end of a sentence.

Essentially, Character A (a bit of a sleaze) has just embarrassed himself in front of a whole room of people, and Character B (Our Hero) lets out a laugh. Character A gets riled up, shoots a look at Character B, and says "You think this is funny, _____?"

As you can guess, I'm having a little trouble filling in that blank space. Are there any MG-appropriate, non-corny, non-physically-specific (no "pipsqueak" or "lardball") jabs I could tuck in there?

I'm currently going with "punk" because, well, my own middle school years were full of being called that. But would MG readers not see it as a general insult, and instead start to picture Character B as some motorcycle-riding, nose-piercing rebel? He's a bit peculiar, but not quite as outrageous as that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the way it's said, dude can sometime be used as a mild insult.

I might use butthead, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

There's also: nerd, geek, buddy boy (said with a snarl), prick (might be mild enough).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That seems like a good choice to me if it fits your MC, plus it's not such a "trendy" insult. People will understand "loser" now, and will understand it twenty years from now.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I asked my son for terms he felt are insulting in that age group, and he listed many of the more obvious slights. Then he came up with, dick-noid.

I said, "What does that mean?"

He claims he doesn't know, but that it sounds insulting. And I would tend to agree. :)

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
I heard one teenager call another "pigfart" the other day

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, Scotland has many. :D

You dumpling. You galoot. You eejit (which has been kindly lent to us by the Irish). You clown. I hear 'Ya fool!' quite a lot too - I know it sounds a bit old-fashioned but being spoken in a Glasgow accent gives it a good touch of comedy, if comedy's what you're aiming for. But since you may not be writing for us lot (;)) I don't know how much use this is to you. :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
If you want generic, Loser is the best. Having heard my sons use it many a time...

Otherwise, I'd go with something as specific to the characters as you can get. Both my boys tend to be on the short side, so when the older one calls the younger one "midget" it really stings. Plus the younger one has a big vocabulary, so calling him geek or nerd is just too...accurate... The younger one mostly retaliates with "asshole" or "jerk" or "jackass," but only one of those is g-rated enough for you to use...

SHRous

Registered
Reaction score
According to my middle school aged boys, these are the insults:

idiot, punk, loser, retard, or any language translation for the word faggot. (This shocked me, but it seems they are able to go to babelfish.com at school and this is one of the words they look up!)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Faggot isn't an insult, it's a hate crime. You might want to tell them that.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Southpark_Fags_1.jpg

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Faggot isn't an insult, it's a hate crime. You might want to tell them that.
A hate crime ?

Yes, it seems despicable, but why is it more of a hate crime that calling someone 'shorty' or 'baldy' or 'south-paw'? They are all determined by genes (or protein folding or whatever the heck causes it) - none of which can be controlled by the person.

They all imply some kind of 'wrongness' about being short, bald, gay or left-handed.

Surely they are all equally despicable.

Mac

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think "shorty" or "south paw" are ever said to someone in the same spirit as "faggot." I can't imagine any left-handed person fearing for his life in school, as many gay kids do. The suicide rates for short people I suspect are in line with the general population, whereas gay teen suicides are through the roof.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
And to get back on topic I vote for "punk"! :)

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sly, bucko, diggereedoo

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I vote for loser because it can encompass so much. It doesn't insult a potential reader's height, weight, gender, sexual preference, or mental capacity. Being a loser is determined more by one's choices than by one's genes. Plus, someone can overcome being a loser by later becoming a winner. Loser probably won't go out of use as soon as dork (another word that might work) or a similar term.

Hittman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davehitt.com
I'm rather fond of "Sparky." It's simple, dismissive and condescending without hitting any of the politically correct soft spots.

Nice try, Sparky.

Yeah, I'm sure you'd do it that way, Sparky.

Nice outfit, Sparky.

Great State of The Union Address, Sparky.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I vote for "loser." Esp. when it's pronounced "loooser." (Accent on the first two letters, then the word is drawn out.)

"Butthead" in my area is mostly used by the preschool (yep, preschool) and primary grade kids. "Loser" is middle grade on up.

Last edited: