The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agent] Aragi, Inc. (Nicole Aragi)

practical experience, FTW

[Agent] Aragi, Inc. (Nicole Aragi)

Has anyone ever had any experience with Nicole Aragi? If so, do you care to share? Thanks.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No personal experience, but she's repped some big deals for some big names.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Has anyone ever had any experience with Nicole Aragi? If so, do you care to share? Thanks.
    Queried her not long ago. Assistant said she is not looking for clients at all anymore. Her website still lists an email address for queries, though.

She takes care of Nathan Englander I believe. Man, I want her to rep me! She's amazing as far as I've read.

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He

She gets a fairly impressive mention here.
    And in another article on the Demise of the Midlist (dooomity-dooom!) she appears again : "Nicole Aragi, the superagent-of-the-moment who brokered Jonathan Safran Foer’s handsome payday. Aragi embodies the blockbuster mentality better than most. She claims not to bother with midlist clients and takes on at most one or two new authors a year, and then only the superhot (she also represents Junot Díaz). Winning Aragi’s approval in itself is a benediction of sorts."
    She's also one of the agents interviewed here, which might give an idea of what she would be like to work with.
    All of which is moot if she's closed to queries, though.

-Barbara
    will crit for rep points
    "Your commas are pretty good." TNH
    okay, I have a blog

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I queried on Jan 25 was rejected 24 hours later stating:
    "Thank you for your interest in working with Aragi Inc. Sadly, however, Nicole Aragi has a full client list and is not taking on new work at the moment.
    We wish you the best of luck in securing another agent."

Signed by an assistant. At least they responded!

practical experience, FTW Dave Veri's Avatar

a query to Nicole Aragi

I sent a query to Nicole Aragi on November 15th. I got a request for a full manuscript today, so she still considers queries. Perhaps she is trying to cut down on the amount of queries by saying she's not taking new clients.

revising, revising, revising
    Congratulations on the request, Dave! Just curious - did you include any sample pages with your query?

practical experience, FTW Dave Veri's Avatar

Uh-oh, no go.

Thanks for the encouragement. And though she read it right away, she ultimately decided not to represent. A very nice rejection letter, but still formulaic. Good question: Yes, I pasted in the first five pages of the manuscript into the email.
    What's next?

revising, revising, revising
    Sorry about the rejection, Dave. She's about the most selective agent there is, so don't be too discouraged. Sounds like you have something really special on your hands - best of luck with it.

And thanks for the info. I'll send her 5 pgs with my query.

I queried her on March 10th, and she asked to see a full but only if she is allowed an exclusive (damnit--hate it when that happens, but I understand why they do it) so she is indeed taking on new clients.

Queried about two weeks ago. Got a very nice note apologizing for the delay (apparently they are renovating their offices) and asking for a full. Seems like the best of both worlds, unbelievable powerhouse who is also laid back and personable.

practical experience, FTW nikkidj's Avatar
    Go Mooky! You're on a roll!
    Nikki

Queried via E mail with synopsis May 17, 2015
    Full request June 9
    E mail rejection (non-formulaic but quick and supportive) six days later

Anyone here work with Duvall Osteen at Aragi? I met her informally at a writing conference this past June, queried her in September with the first 3 chapters, and surprisingly, just received a full request. It's a dynamite agency--I'm still swooning
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work" ~ Chuck Close

The swoon is over:

Query 9/11/2016 (with partial)
    Full m/s 1/26/2017
    Personal reject 3/10/2017

Very personable and professional.
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work" ~ Chuck Close