Question about Query

Case.Maynard

Registered
Reaction score
So, I know a guy who is a small time producer/director and he has asked that I convert my book into a screenplay and submit it to him saying that he "would be interested in theatrical rights to this if he thinks he can get it done"...

My question is...would this be useful info to include in a query to agents, maybe in the hopes that it would make them more interested in reading my manuscript? And if so, include his name (even though it's not a BIG name)?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless agents would recognize his name and think him a respected movie producer/director, then no, it wouldn't probably help sell your book, and it might even hurt you because it may make it look like you are less committed to publishing the book by making it look like you are shopping the characters and story in different media.

And even if he was someone recognizable and respected, I'm not sure it would help. But I don't think it would hurt you if he were recognizable and respected.

If you do end up signing anything re movie rights, then you need to be careful about trying to query/shop the book version because your rights to use the story/characters/etc. might be tied up in the other project.

~suki

Case.Maynard

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input suki. That's kind've the line I was thinking along too. My first objective is to get it into print in novel form.

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I ditto, ditto, ditto what suki said.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I'll move this over to the 'Ask the Agent' forum to see if we can't get you a couple more opinions. Hold on to your seats, here we gooooo....