How Much is Too Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
How do you know when your world has gotten too complicated? I don't mean complicated in the way that real life is complicated--with lots of people of different races and backgrounds and means of transportation, but complicated in that there are a lot of incongruous magic-al goings on happening at once.

Like, if there were a world that was based on 1890 New Orleans, but there were robots and witches and a prophesy and an orphanage where kids are turned into dolls and a stone to go find, I think we would all agree that that would be a bit much.

How do you avoid letting that happen?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
How do you know when your world has gotten too complicated? I don't mean complicated in the way that real life is complicated--with lots of people of different races and backgrounds and means of transportation, but complicated in that there are a lot of incongruous magic-al goings on happening at once.

Like, if there were a world that was based on 1890 New Orleans, but there were robots and witches and a prophesy and an orphanage where kids are turned into dolls and a stone to go find, I think we would all agree that that would be a bit much.

How do you avoid letting that happen?

Complicated? Sounds more like New Weird.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
When it gets in the way of telling the story.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
When you need three maps, half a dozen of family trees and a glossary to have a vague idea what the hell is going on.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

That doesn't necessarily sound too much to me. I think you could easily fit all those elements into a novel without it feeling crowded. The trick, for me, is that the novel has time (or takes time) to really explore each element of the world, rather than just jamming new stuff into each sentence with a crowbar. When I'm getting smacked with weird stuff every sentence, I'm confused and alienated. I need to be able to follow the story.

New Weird? Haven't heard that one before...

China Mieville? Full of weird. Every time you turn the page people with surgically-grafted insect heads are leaping out trying to eat your face.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It really depends, and even readers aren't going to agree with what's enough or too much. If you're using so much detail and so many different things that you can't keep track of them without complicated spreadsheets, it may be too much. If every person who crits the story says their eyes started to glaze over and they couldn't keep track of the people/places/critters without a pen and paper, it may be too much.

But it will always vary. Some folks have said they loved the varied amount of creatures I have in my novel and that you get little bits of history on all of them. Some folks complain that it's too much, too complex, and they got confused. *shrug* Can't please everyone, right? :)

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd have to say I over plot. There's too much of odd things. The good news is, unless you're highly educated in theology, you won't pick up on most of it. I would say there are about four references per chapter that most people wouldn't pick up on.

At first I tried explaining every little thing since my books are targeted towards young adults. Then it got muddled. So I kept the references in there, but deleted all the spoon-fed crap so things wouldn't get too complicated.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Chances are if someone is reading fantasy/sci fi, they are reading it with the expectation odd things and an unfamiliar world are going to be elements.

Personally, I'd rather the author used spreadsheets and genealogical charts to keep everything straight than to be jarred out of the story by inconsistent worldbuilding and details gone wrong. I love stories with genealogy and history, not as infodumps, but as part of the setting or even the storyline. It helps things feel more solid and real to me.

I think it was JK Rowling who said she used giant charts covered in sticky notes to keep all her characters and their various storylines straight. I'm sure she's not the only one.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
It really depends, and even readers aren't going to agree with what's enough or too much. If you're using so much detail and so many different things that you can't keep track of them without complicated spreadsheets, it may be too much. If every person who crits the story says their eyes started to glaze over and they couldn't keep track of the people/places/critters without a pen and paper, it may be too much.

But it will always vary. Some folks have said they loved the varied amount of creatures I have in my novel and that you get little bits of history on all of them. Some folks complain that it's too much, too complex, and they got confused. *shrug* Can't please everyone, right? :)

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.