If there's one thing that makes me cringe...

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
... then it's falsely and excessively up-beat people. I guess it's the sullen Swede in me. :)

Barbara Ehrenreich takes the curmudgeoning WAY too far in that she blames every fault and every bad thing that's happened in the last years on it, but still...

I'm pleased that someone is giving the obscenely positive thinking people a fair whallop.

Now I'll go watch an Ingmar Bergman movie, and read something dystopian.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ot-smiling-is-barbara-ehrenreich-1866929.html

Reaction score
Overly happy people are the worst.

Because if you are that happy living on this planet you must be insane or in extreme denial or both.

And misery is funny.

Happiness is not.

Rule #1 of comedy.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm too busy to give a rat's patootey about negative people. They tend to drag you down, especially when they turn everything around and find a way to blame everyone but themselves for their problems.

For example--anyone who is stupid enough to blame the war in Iraq on optimism obviously doesn't have the sense God gave a goat.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a happy little elf, but I don't foist optimism on people. I'm just quietly privately happy. Cynical, maybe, but hopefully in an entertaining way. :D I haven't got much but I don't want for much. It takes much more effort on my part to be miserable.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Hey, I love sarcasm and irony. I'm part of the ironic generation. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I couldn't be sarcastic about things...

ETA: And if I couldn't shout 'What a load of bollocks!" about things in politics, and instead think happy little positive thoughts about people, I'd go mental. :)

Last edited: