WPA Cemetery Records

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone run across, or does anyone have some good suggestions for where to find the WPA cemetery records for Ohio? The records were microfilmed, and apparently some of them (Iowa) have been put on CDs - but where to find Ohio? My preference would be to buy CDs if I can find them, but they don't seem to be advertised on the standard sites that have genealogical CDs (at least that I've seen). Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Puma
PS - Mods, I thought about putting this in story research but thought there was probably a better chance of an answer here. You can move it to research if you feel that's more appropriate.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think you can help, Cooee. WPA stands for Works Progress Administration which was a recovery program during the American depression in the 1930's. The WPA made jobs for people to do which included things like reading cemeteries and building scenic roadways like the Skyline Drive-Blue Ridge Parkway along the Appalachian Mountains in the eastern US. An American would know what WPA was immediately so I didn't explain - sorry. Puma

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Puma, I'm not sure about where to go for purchased copies but how about the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne for viewing them? I made the trip from Tiffin, OH to Fort Wayne in an afternoon.

They are on a par with the LDS Library in Salt Lake City. Maybe check their website or call the information desk? I just had a Mapquest map, and they were pretty easy to find.

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/genealogy/index.html

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Hip-Hop - That's a very good suggestion - hadn't thought of them and I know they are very good. Since I'm around Columbus it would be more of a full day trip for me - but hey, I'm getting winter cabin fever. Thank you for the idea. Think I'll check their website and maybe call them first. Puma

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
A lot of documentation, oral histories, photographs, etc from the WPA projects are at the Library of Congress and many have been digitized at their American Memory website.

Did you try the rootsweb site for Ohio? A lot of that, especially cemeteries, are online. Ohio's is here. Its free, and I see cemeteries on the list.

Also during this era local DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) Chapters went around the cemeteries to document them. We have some in our office (Wyoming Co., NY Historian's office). They are invaluable as some of the tombstones are no longer there. Type this "DAR + cemeteries Ohio" in google (leave off the quotes) and you will get a lot of hits.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Historysleuth. I've done some checking and apparently the WPA records for Ohio are sitting in uncatalogued boxes, organized alphabetically by name for the entire state - not even a county breakdown. So I think I've struck out. (At least for anything with a relatively quick turn-around.)

I'm working on trying to develop better cemetery records than those that exist on the Ohio site and elsewhere for our township - trying to decipher the names that haven't been readable for over fifty years, find who's in the graves for which the markers have disappeared, etc. Big job. Puma

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Is there some reason they have to be the WPA records for a cemetery and not the same cemetery recorded by another?? Any cemetery in particular?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The oldest records anyone knows about for the cemeteries are from 1947. Since the WPA readings were about ten years before that, there's a chance they might have been able to read a few things the recorder couldn't in 1947. All the church books and township cemetery records from before 1947 seem to have disappeared (township records were burned in a fire about 1909.) These cemeteries go back to 1814, so there's a lot of time to cover. Puma

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I would still check the Ohio rootsweb link above. Sometimes people go pull a record then put it on line. People like me who enjoy a trip and digging through an old box of stuff. Although I see from a previous post that might be unlikely. I commend your effort to want to get it straight. I can't believe they did it alphabetically rather then by cemetery. What a mess.

Some good stuff came up at the DAR. This one is for cemeteries in Ashland County 1936-1941 . That's before your date. Maybe they have their stuff on CD or accessible through one of their chapters?

Click here to see.

Long link above but it worked. The DAR library catalog is here. I just picked "subject" and typed in Ohio Cemetery Records.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I've been at this for a while (can you tell). What's worse is that some of the more recent transcriptions have gotten things pretty well garbled up - names spelled incorrectly, no idea who the people were, didn't bother to check prior transcriptions to see if they could figure things out (can't read even though the 1947 transcription had the information - and, the more recent reading had the wife's name from the grave beside the one they couldn't read (one of our Revolutionary War veterans.)) But thank you for the thoughts and ideas. I found out quite a while ago that sometimes people here on AW come up with answers from unusual sources so I thought I'd give it a try.

I must have missed your DAR link before I typed my reply. I have been there and gotten the information they had available. Puma

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Well, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know. I've been at this years myself and sometimes you do need to just bounce ideas off another person who does the same thing to trigger something that makes you say, "Wait a minute! That reminds me!" :idea:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, Historysleuth, two of the references the DAR lists for the county I'm working on are two of the most recent readings that are full of errors. The DAR has no way to check the accuracy.

I honestly don't understand how someone can look at an old cemetery in 2010 and think they can / should do a transcription when it's been done before and then not bother to check the prior readings. It's a case of ignoring history rather than building on it.

Part of my crunchitis on this is that the township wants to sell some of the "appear to be" unused grave spots, but with the number of unknown cemetery locations for people who lived here, there's a good chance some of the "unused spots" were used. It's a matter of trying to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. And, of course, their electronic mapping equipment goes a lot faster than my records digging. But at least we are working together on it. Puma

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
We have the same problem with transcriptions. We have people come in and give us a "new and improved list" they put in a database, and ya, doesn't match. Then I got to go out there. In fact, I am working on rewalking one in my town for work because it hasn't been updated at our office since the 70s. The Wyoming County (NY) historians office has been around since 1946 (not me of course) so we have a lot of stuff. But our cemeteries are in binders by town (as well as our databases on computer which is not accessible to the public). Then separate sections for the cemeteries in the binder, THEN alphabetical by name. Plus we update them through the obituaries, plus contacting the active cemeteries. Then the obits are put into it's family file---and we got a LOT of those!

I'm glad to see the care you are taking with this project. Unknown burials, and unknown cemeteries are quite a problem. Wish we had GPR equipment!

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I've got five cemeteries to walk plus two that are "lost" (and in the WPA readings). I'm finding it's taking me three walks of each cemetery to make sure I've got everything right. And, I am going to go out to try to find the lost cemeteries - the county engineer's office plotted them on an aerial photo from the WPA coordinates - should be interesting. I've got a lot to do once the weather warms up.

And yes, I'd love to have a ground penetrating radar unit - but then I'd probably use it to look for native American artifacts instead of graves. Puma

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
You two are my heroes. Everything you do makes it so much easier for me to do what I'm trying to do!

I've gotten to be very good friends with the Newfield historian in Tompkins County, NY. He gave me tons of great info on my GGgrandparents there, so now whenever I find something, I share it with him, so it can be disseminated more. And whenever I have a page of obits (besides just my person), I usually try to send it to the rootsweb people to post on their sites.

It's all a matter of paying it forward. Genealogists are some of the most generous people out there. :snoopy:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Hip-Hop. It's always been my philosophy to share whatever I find. I don't understand people who copyright their family trees (which really aren't just theirs) and insist on payment for any information. But I guess it takes all kinds. For me a thank you or an acknowledgement that something was helpful is plenty. Puma

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Thank you for your thank you Hip-Hop! We mainly do history at our office, but we often get requests by mail from genealogists. We charge copies and postage and a very small fee, but we really have to, to justify to the county keeping our office open. However, if it is someone who shares with us, we share back, barter info. Plus we get quite a few who travel to see us, mostly in the summer though... unless their fairly local. ;)