MG Ruined Me

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, not really. What writing MG has done, I think, is made me more aware of word usage and, in doing so, forced me to write leaner stuff. Kids just don't tolerate a lot of fluff words tossed in.

While I'm letting Sweetness sit a bit, I queried a senior editor about my supernatural thriller, which I have rewritten as YA. The editor asked me to send the full. I sent it. She wrote right back saying it was too short. MS Word counted it at 37,000. Yeah, I know that's on the short side, but I know of some YA that's been published at around 40,000. By writing so much MG, I've grown accustomed to getting to the point without going off on a bunch of tangents or using unnecessary words (like I'm doing here:)).

Anyway, she said her imprint needs a minimum of 60,000. She asked me to send her something else that meets the length. But I don't have anything else. I'm wondering if I should ask if she would take a look at it if I work on it some more, flesh out a couple of the subplots and bring up the length.

What do you guys think? Is this a blown opportunity? Should I simply put it on hold until I hear back from the agent? I'm trying to remain productive but feel like I may be doing too much at once.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I've grown accustomed to writing really lean too. It would be hard for me to switch back. It sounds like you have a great opportunity if you're willing to tackle it. One way to look at it-If you do lengthen the book, even if this editor doesn't go for it, you'll have one ready to go to send to others.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Hedge, you are on a roll. That's fantastic!

Is this the story that has the football game in it? With the mysterious forest? I loved that. I've never tried YA, so I can't really offer any advice on what to do with it. Sometimes a story is done in 37K words. Sometimes you can weave in another subplot. I'd just be wary of padding for the sake of padding. I think any writer should make every word count, every scene count. If not, you just won't have a very good story.

And I agree with Melia, at the worst, you have something ready to send out to others.

Good luck!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! My MG isn't that lean. I still tend to write longer. My only good suggestion would be to get a couple really strong YA betas and specifically ask them what might be missing -- scenes to be added, or subplots to move forward. Hey, that's a thought! How about a whole new subplot with a minor character? You could weave that throughout.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
If you fell there's a good sub-plot brewing, then I'd go for it.
Congratulations, looks like you are making some serious inroads!

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, guys. I read an article in Publishers Weekly last month in which the editor talked about what her house was looking for. I thought my book would be a perfect fit. Honestly, I didn't expect to hear back from her so soon on my query (2 hours), if at all.

Yeah, Sheila. It's the one that starts with the football game near the creepy woods. Now that it's YA, I've given my main character a love interest, but they don't actually get together until the end of the book, and even then it's only implied. I think that's one of the subplots I can develop more. Maybe he gets the girl in the middle of the book, but then the haunting he experiences scares her away. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.

Kelli, I like the idea of introducing a totally new character. I'm sure I can really have fun with that.

My main concern, as Sheila alluded to, is adding 23,000 words that actually count. If I feel like all I'm doing is padding, then I'll certainly abandon the idea and try something else.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Here's another way to think about it:

People read to be carried away. To have a full and rich experience. 37K just may not provide that for an almost-mature reader.

It's sort of about math, if you think about it. A 10-year-old kid, even a good reader like my son who has read over a million words since September, only reads about 140 words in a minute. 140 words X 60 minutes = 8400 words in an hour. At that rate, your book would be about 5 hours of enjoyment. That's a good length, not too long for a kid to manage.

But for a teen reader, who is approaching 300+ words in a minute, the equation changes. (To be successful, a college student needs to read about 350 words a minute.) 300 words X 60 minutes = 18,000 words in an hour. So your book only offers a teenager about 2 hours of joy.

If the reader loves it, they want to be lost in your world for longer than that. Don't you just hate it when you come to the end of a book? Don't you just wish it would go on forever?

That's what you're aiming for.

Now, I know exactly what you mean. I'm struggling to get my boy-and-his-dog book to hit 30,000 words, but every time I add a scene, I find some other part that could be trimmed and my word count stays the same...

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's a very interesting way of looking at it. And you're right. From a consumer's point of view, they not only want the book to last if they're enjoying it but also want to get the most entertainment for their dollar.

Right now the book is in No-man's Land. It's too mature for MG but too short for YA. I really can't go back to MG, as that would change too much of what I'm trying to do and end up being a totally different book. But I'm sure I can develop it to 60,000 words. I've been jotting down some notes this evening and turning things over in my head.

Now that I'm done revising Sweetness, I thought I would finally be able to get some much-needed sleep. Oh, well. Looks like I'll still be getting up at 2:00 to write.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well. Looks like I'll still be getting up at 2:00 to write.

Well, now we know how you got so much done in such a short time. How do you keep your brain cells from melting and producing gibberish?

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Well, now we know how you got so much done in such a short time. How do you keep your brain cells from melting and producing gibberish?
That it isn't gibberish is still out for debate. :)

Seriously, I work at home as a medical transcriptionist. There's no time wasted getting showered and dressed and driving to an office, and the company is very laid back. When the work gets too tedious, I'll take a break and jot down some notes or pull up a chapter and tinker with it a bit.

I used to work 3-10 in the evenings and would get up and write first thing in the morning. But lately I started staying up well past midnight and sleeping in late. It really threw my writing off.

At the first of the year, as I was facing those revisions, I switched to a split shift. For the last two weeks I've been working 3-6 in the evening and then 4-8 in the morning. It sounds crazy, but it works. I write for a couple of hours before the second half of my shift and then a few more hours when I log off.

It's not the writing that melts my brain cells. It's listening to doctors dictate in my ear for hours at a time--saying the same thing they've been saying for the last 17 years, over and over and over--that numbs the brain and drains the creative spirit. I'm dreaming of the day I can write for a living.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see how that would get mind-numbing after a while.

Being a teacher is exhausting, but at least it's rewarding.

I don't know what I'll do if I ever have some income from writing. Teaching isn't something you can really do part-time, and it's hard to imagine quitting it completely. But having time to write every day sure sounds appealing...

I know I'll have more time in a few years, when my boys are grown and gone, but then I'll miss them!

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Being a teacher is exhausting, but at least it's rewarding.

That it is. I taught high school English my first two years out of college. The actual teaching was quite rewarding, but I hated all the other aspects that went along with the job. There were loads of paperwork to do while at school, lots of disciplining unruly students, all sorts of politics to navigate, and than having to take home a bunch of papers to grade on my own time. The kids nearly drove me crazy after only two years, so I decided to look for something that would feed and clothe me but still leave me with enough sanity to write.

I got two things accomplished yesterday. I sent the revised Sweetness to the agent, hoping she might find time to read it over the weekend, and I wrote the editor back letting her know what I plan to do to lengthen my thriller. She said she would like to see it once it meets an acceptable word count. Now I just have to make it happen.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
I got two things accomplished yesterday. I sent the revised Sweetness to the agent, hoping she might find time to read it over the weekend, and I wrote the editor back letting her know what I plan to do to lengthen my thriller. She said she would like to see it once it meets an acceptable word count. Now I just have to make it happen.

Congratulations on getting that done! I always wonder how much work agents do over the weekend--I've gotten replies (read: rejections :) ) on Saturdays and Sundays, and with her interest level, I bet there's a good chance that she might take a look.

I don't know how you can do all that transcribing--it must be exhausting. I did it back in grad school for professors who were working on new research on National and State Park Interpretation Programs. I sat around for hours listening to 6 to 10 year-olds answer questions about their field trips...needless to say, the transcriptions were full of "uh...well, uh...hey, we got CRANBERRY juice boxes for lunch, and--Oh, yeah, um...squirrels. Yep, we saw a lot of squirrels."

Tee-hee.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
If the reader loves it, they want to be lost in your world for longer than that. Don't you just hate it when you come to the end of a book? Don't you just wish it would go on forever?

That's what you're aiming for.
Jud, I always think about that when I'm reading. I rarely pick up a book, even middle grade, even from the library, that is less than 250 pages.

Hedge, you've been busy. Great to have so many interesting projects to work on!

Hedgetrimmer

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how you can do all that transcribing--it must be exhausting.
It's extremely exhausting. Back in the day before technology allowed us to work from home, it was a lot easier to tolerate, as I worked in an office with coworkers and could take breaks and chat. I once worked with a poet, and she and I used to lament about how hard the job was because of our creative inclinations. Some people don't mind doing tedious work all day, but for those with a creative spirit burning inside, such a use of time is absolute torture.

Kelli, I'm hoping if the agent signs me, I can apprise her of the correspondence the editor and I have been having. I'm thinking it might boost my client worth in her eyes by showing her that I take my writing seriously and I'm not the type to simply send her a manuscript and say, "Here. Go sell this." If I have a lead, I hope to be able to share it with her without seeming as if I'm trying to do her job. After all, the author/agent relationship is supposed to be a mutual partnership.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Interesting discussion going on here.

Though I have to say JSK's math theory on what's too long worries me a bit.
In part because even though I'm way past high school, I don't think I can read 300 words a minute, and I sure don't consider myself a bad reader for it.

That said, I know what she means.

Even so, I have the opposite problem. The more I make the effort to be lean, the more I get told it's "Not detailed enough" and I have to add more so the scenes make sense. Yeah, I know that's counterproductive, but I'd rather have a long book, than a short one that no can understand but me. You know?

Granted, I don't want a 1,000 page train wreck, no one does, but I just barely manage to keep under 50,000 words for most of my novels, excluding Gabriel, for the time being anyway...

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Word count can be confusing to me too. The MG I've got coming out is 60K. When someone says the word count is too low, I do have a feeling they're saying they want to be immersed more in the story.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
The MG I have on sub is 67,000 words. Granted, it isn't SOLD and it's upper MG. I do think if it is sold I'll have to cut some, but I cut as much as made sense at the time.

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
Quotation from Cards on the Table, by Agatha Christie. The speaker is a Ariadne Oliver, a mystery writer: "I always think I'm finished, and then when I count up I find I've written thirty thousand words instead of sixty thousand, and so then I have to throw in another murder and get the heroine kidnapped again. It's all very boring."

Some say Oliver is Christie's alter ego, so you're in good company, anyway!