Where Non-theists get Their Morality

Status
Not open for further replies.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILER ALERT: This is merely a reply to Ruv's public statement.
You can skip it and not lose anything about Morality. But it's addressing the issue Ruv brought INTO the thread.
And maybe it's enlightening on how non-theists (which also is in the title) and theists cause unintended friction?

I'll happily withdraw, out of an interest in friendly thread fellowship.

But I don't do so because I in any way accept (and I'm NOT suggesting you're accepting that or acting from it, either) the idea that mere exploration or extrapolation of a topic means anyone's gone "off-topic" :) or should be scolded for such, or for merely disagreeing ... however broad the consensus.

Someone mentioned once before how they're "treated" in the "religious" forums, as if that should decide how anyone is treated HERE. It shouldn't. If anyone is unwelcome elsewhere ... that doesn't mean I'm acting in any way deserving of unwelcoming HERE (when I would suppose folks here would agree we should treat people better, and with more openmindedness ... here)

Originally Posted by small axe
To suggest that there is no such thing as 'non-theistic' morality ... would be still on topic. :)

The topic presupposes that non-theistic morality exists.

Respectfully, I don't think it 'pre-supposes' anything of the sort.

I'm certainly NOT here beating a drum of THEISM.

All I've mentioned here is a possible approach on the spectrum of Morality of having "religion" being 'seen' as a source of Morality.

Not every "religion" needs to be "theistic" (perhaps some forms of Buddhism, for instance) ...

So, respectfully, PLEASE don't presume to scold someone for their sincere comments, and PLEASE don't over-use the whole Don't comment in my thread thing either.

I've started threads too, and folks came and took them off topic (imo) ... and I've NEVER asked anyone not to comment. NEVER.

You'll recall you've asked me before, and I did.
But that's my choice.

To suggest otherwise is off-topic and offensive to many people in this forum. Not to mention, willfully ignorant.

You're getting unnecessarily personal there.
And you're pretending to speak for others who can of course speak for themselves (if they're offended, but I gave NO OFFENSE)

Most sadly, when you CLAIM that I've been 'offensive' to folks here ... if I remain silent, then that FALSE CHARACTERIZATION stands undenied. So YOU'RE FORCING ME to reply now ... right?

(Really, let's all note that: When we want to cool down a heated thread, that's a thing to AVOID doing: don't FORCE someone to see things as being "offensive" or insulting ... when you cannot prove that was ever their intent!)

And I'm not being 'willfully ignorant' ... just because I think you're MISTAKEN in claiming I was 'off-topic' (and I already did you the courtesy, above, of explaining WHY I'm not off topic)

PLUS -----> You say this in your OWN thread, IN PUBLIC, where you KNOW I'll now have respond also in public? Why? We've had perfectly respectful and productive PRIVATE MESSAGES between us. Right?

Ruv ... c'mon, man ... I'm not derailing or off topic NOW either ... I'm just answering issues YOU needlessly brought into your own thread, in public.

I'm going to ask that you no longer contribute to this thread, Axe.

'Ask' is technically polite enough ... even though bouncers at bars sometimes 'ask' patrons to leave by adding an extra ten meter hike at the door! :Hug2:

Fine. I offered my views, it was on topic, I have no reason to argue.

But still ... what's said in public threads gets answered in public threads.

*shrug*

Now, Ruv got to sling his 'willfully ignorant' barb ... so here's my own 'mind-reading' performance (Tickets on sale at the carny tent entance for two cents!)

If anyone hypothetically wants or needs to paint ME as "the unwelcome trolling Theist" :) ... that's just them building their own strawman to wail against and a crutch to lean on, imo.
And suggesting that "if" here shouldn't be 'offensive' to anyone here ... unless they decided themselves that the shoe fits.

Again: I've never asked anyone not to comment anymore in one of my threads. And you could've asked in a Private Message without inviting my response here.

... sow ... reap ... It's sort of how the cosmos works out, y'know? It never has to get personal.

That said ... sometimes I'm happy to withdraw without wanting to ruin everybody else's party! :)

Other times, somebody's moneychangers' table in the temple might get disturbed and decorum is sacrificed in the name of good discussion (but, admittedly, by someone better suited than myself) ...

I nod to Ruv's request ... The moving hand moves on, etc ...

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you Axe. For information, I skimmed the first few paragraphs and skipped the rest.

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
Axe, the very idea that non-theists do not have morality is insulting beyond belief. Not only do we have morals, but it has been my experience that non-theists are often much more highly and consistently moral than most theists (based upon logical standards of compassion and empathy).

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
FWIW I think Axe had a place in this conversation - a use, let's say. It's a good point that religion is a non-theistic source of morality. And if that - rather than "there is no such thing as non-theistic morality" - was the ACTUAL point, I would like to invite Axe back into the thread.

OTOH, I too find it (very) insulting to say to someone that morality only exists in the context of a belief in God. If that's your stance, Axe, why don't you tell me in a PM the point of posting in this thread or with speaking to anyone who posts in this subforum? Because from our perspective ...well, what do you think it looks like? What do you think it feels like?

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
It's a good point that religion is a non-theistic source of morality.
Sure is. Worthy of discussion too. And Axe would be a good person to talk about that, except...

And if that - rather than "there is no such thing as non-theistic morality" - was the ACTUAL point, I would like to invite Axe back into the thread.
It wasn't the point, AMC -- we'd just be pretending it was. We've had two threadlocks lately -- each for posts that forced non-theists to defend themselves. This was shaping up to be another -- hence my request, to which Axe kindly acceded.

Axe is kind, polite, thoughtful, eloquent and considerate but I think he doesn't understand much about non-theism, or just how condescending and offensive some of his statements are. His posts aren't malicious or deliberately rude and I don't want to see him banned, but I think he needs to ask questions here instead of defending theosupremacist positions that to a lot of us, are all too familiar anyway.

That's a personal view, and Axe I'm sorry to be writing about you in the third person. As you'd know I've PMed similar stuff to you in the past. Asking you not to participate isn't meant to be punitive. It's damage-control because I don't know what else to do. I like having you around and if someone can find a more constructive way ahead, well that'd be fine by me.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Axe is kind, polite, thoughtful, eloquent and considerate but I think he doesn't understand much about non-theism, or just how condescending and offensive some of his statements are.

Which is precisely why Axe should be here -- if not to discuss, then to read.

His posts aren't malicious or deliberately rude and I don't want to see him banned, but I think he needs to ask questions here instead of knowingly or unknowingly defending theosupremacist positions that to a lot of us, are all too familiar anyway.

Agreed, with the addition.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
If Axe wants to play in this thread with you mentoring him in how to avoid savagings and threadlocks, then I couldn't be happier. I also think you're the right feller for it. :LilLove:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
LoL.

You've already covered what "the mentoring" would entail. Ask questions with a curiosity toward the other's perspective rather than trying to prove one's own as true. More understanding comes out of this simple law than maybe any other.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
You've already covered what "the mentoring" would entail. Ask questions with a curiosity toward the other's perspective rather than trying to prove one's own as true. More understanding comes out of this simple law than maybe any other.
All true. But before we can do that we need to recognise at least in principle that another's way of life can be viable and even wholesome, even if it's not for us. A lot of atheists here recognise this in various kinds of theism, but many theists do not recognise it in non-theism. That's in part why we need a list of myths and refutations.

The contraposition -- that another's way of life is not viable or wholesome -- is no basis from which to spend any time in another's society. Anyone who enters a Religious and Spiritual Writing forum with that attitude is heading for a ban, no matter the forum, no matter how they phrase their views, and ain't nothin' nobody can do about it.

Non-theists generally have viable and wholesome lives. They're known for low crime rates, stable marriages and peacable relations with a plurality of theists. Conversely, among people who have lives seen as unwholesome there's often a high level of theism -- I saw some stats to indicate that prostitutes for example, are disproportionately Roman Catholic -- though I couldn't begin to explain why.

I'd argue that part of the non-theistic story is that many non-theists have a strong moral core. Most often it's not based on received wisdom so much as educated and compassionate enquiry, but it's no less strong for all that. In-principle arguments that enquiry-based morality is somehow weak and flawed are clearly based on prejudice rather than knowledge, and anyone who doesn't understand how an enquiry-based morality can work should do themselves a favour and ask before judging.

It's especially ironic to argue (for example) that enquiry-based morality inflicts itself on others when moral codes based on received wisdom are notorious for doing so in the harshest possible ways.

(Oh look -- we're almost back on topic again...)

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
See I toyed with the idea originally of asking if morality is something the nontheist or anyone I suppose should pursue. I tend to think that moralizing occurs, essentially, in the realm of sacred and profane. If "morality" is just "what's good" without declaring what's "evil", I can go with it. Then again, I myself have a hard time practically distinguishing morality from ethics and think discussions of ethics are more fruitful than those about morality.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
moral (adj.) mid-14c., "pertaining to character or temperament" (good or bad), from O.Fr. moral, from L. moralis "proper behavior of a person in society," lit. "pertaining to manners," coined by Cicero ("De Fato," II.i) to translate Gk. ethikos (see ethics) from L. mos (gen. moris) "one's disposition," in plural, "mores, customs, manners, morals," of uncertain origin. Meaning "morally good, conforming to moral rules," is first recorded late 14c. of stories, 1630s of persons. Original value-neutral sense preserved in moral support, moral victory, with sense of "pertaining to character as opposed to physical action." The noun meaning "moral exposition of a story" is attested from c.1500. Related: Morally.

ethics c.1600, "the science of morals," pl. of M.E. ethik "study of morals" (see ethic). The word also traces to Ta Ethika, title of Aristotle's work.
Morality is our understanding of what is good and bad -- especially what is good or bad in a person's character. Religion of course, has opinion about this, but so too do secular cultures and just about everyone really. The question isn't intrinsically religious, though some theists might argue that the answer is. :)

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Yeah, I guess I knew that and I guess that while people's characters are fascinating they don't concern me as much as people's selves, if you know what I mean. Again, we can have fun with the words "character" in the context of morality & "morality tales." Especially interesting is the phenomenon in which we conflate our characters with our selves. But what is a character except an accumulation of actions which create a sense of sameness/identity? It's because others perceive this sameness/identity more than we possibly can, that our characters are largely written by others more so than by our selves. So that when there is transgression of that character - first and foremost - shame and guilt immediately follow. Insofar as morality concerns characters, it will remain a kind of shackle, and a punitive one at that.

AMC

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I guess that while people's characters are fascinating they don't concern me as much as people's selves, if you know what I mean.
Not yet -- you haven't explained the distinction. :) But I agree that there might be one.

'Character' comes from the Greek kharakter "engraved mark". Metaphorically it means our 'defining qualities'. So morality then is the study of those defining qualities which we consider good or bad.

Who defines those qualities? I don't know that it has anything to do with the stories we tell ourselves, or those that others tell about us. Rather I think it's to do with our motives and behaviours and how they work to create a recognisable signature for our lives. I think that such a description is consistent with religious and secular notions of morality.

Character assessments are made all the time. Friends, families, employers, neighbours all form views about our characters. Those views might be accurate or not, but we rely on them. We don't ask people of poor character to baby-sit, for instance. But we often ask people of good character for references, assistance and advice.

Though character suggests consistency of motives and behaviour, character can change. But character changes don't happen spontaneously. We look for reasons for people to change character -- that's indeed what a lot of fiction is about.
So that when there is transgression of that character - first and foremost - shame and guilt immediately follow.
This presumes that character is prescriptive rather than descriptive. You then go on to make it punitively prescriptive which seems needlessly limiting. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to be justified with some metaphysical myth involving souls and karma and heaven or the like.

Suppose we agree that character is descriptive. Then why must morality be about reward and punishment? Couldn't it simply be about encouragement, deterrence and responsibility?

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Well OK...For me, "description" isn't about character in the first place, but about self.

Since character / moral character concerns sameness/identity, or the transgressions thereof, by its nature it is prescriptive.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Well OK...For me, "description" isn't about character in the first place, but about self.

Since character / moral character concerns sameness/identity, or the transgressions thereof, by its nature it is prescriptive.
I don't follow. What's 'self', who defines it, what does it mean to transgress, and how does that have anything to do with good and bad?

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Let's not worry about the self, really. I just think the self is the actual and the character is a not-completely-arbitrary fiction. The character has to do with some mark of consistency in action, establishing sameness/identity.

Because character/moral character has its code engraved in stone it has also its transgressions (changes, disruptions, breaks of character) engraved there too. Breaking moral character is a transgression; in fact breaking character of any kind is a transgression.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Let's not worry about the self, really. I just think the self is the actual and the character is a not-completely-arbitrary fiction.
I think we've talked about that side before. 'Self' to me is a story. There is an actual being under that story, but I don't think it's called 'self'.

The character has to do with some mark of consistency in action, establishing sameness/identity.
Yes, but I think it's more than preferences. I think that character tests what we're willing and unwilling to pay to maintain constancy. So it's not the masks we wear, but rather how we act when nobody is holding us to account -- especially when in conflict or duress.

That of course is why moral understanding is important too. It's easy to do good when good is easy to do. Much harder is to seek good when it's not easy. So, no morality without character and no character without some sort of morality -- even if it's a tacit sort of morality.

In a fictional sense, I believe that every story that tests character is a moral story, and I don't deny that the morality we aspire to connects in some important way to the kinds of stories we want to tell that make up our sense of self.

Because character/moral character has its code engraved in stone it has also its transgressions (changes, disruptions, breaks of character) engraved there too. Breaking moral character is a transgression; in fact breaking character of any kind is a transgression.
I didn't follow all of that, but I don't believe that morality is engraved in stone. Rather I think it's bound in compassion, wisdom, sacrifice and forbearance. So it's dynamic and strategic, but can give the appearance of being unchanging.

I'm not sure morality has much to do with transgressions so much as the effective management of strategy. This is partly why I think that morality doesn't have much to do with rewards and punishments and other transactions.

Last edited:

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Or to put it this way...in so far as morality has to do with "moral character," change or breaking said character is considered a transgression. In respect to "moral character" this transgression is the transgression of what others, mostly, have written about us. I think such moral character is internalized; the transgression, from this perspective of morality (that is, remember, insofar as it concerns "moral character" and not, as you say, being bound in "compassion and wisdom" - and I would also ask about whether sacrifice has anything to do with morality, as opposed to ethics) is punitive by nature of producing guilt and shame.

What's interesting is I don't think we're of completely different minds on this point, more a matter of semantics. As I am a bit more of a mystic than you :)D), the self is the closest name I can give to that being beneath the story, the many stories, really. But again my definition of self is non-dualistic as you know (hence the mysticism), and essentially without limit, which from my perspective nonetheless opens up one's character (what you call the self, what I could call the practical self-- remember what you said a while back? The practical self refers to the subject of your sentence (paraphrased): "I should have the wits to bite my own fingernails rather than my neighbors" :D) to compassion and wisdom as the foundations for conscience and ethics. And it seems to me conscience in this respect would replace the function of morality ...even if morality precedes conscience? That is, if one has conscience founded on compassion and wisdom, what part does morality play?

AMC

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Concerning theists and crime.

I think there's enough data to show that theists are more likely to be criminals than atheists. As appealing as it might be to blame this on theism, I think it has more to do with intelligence and education than theism per se. If it's true that Catholics are disproportionately prostitutes, then that probably has to do with Catholics being poorer and more urban (especially in the Hispanic subculture) than other populations.

Sometimes this cuts both ways. For instance, there's less alcoholism in Mormon populations, and less in other denominations that disallow drinking. This seems to be one of the few moral vices that religions have actually managed to dissuade people from. On the other hand, there's more abuse of prescription drugs.

I have to say I was a little surprised when I learned that religious people have more abortions, more divorce, and commit more crimes, simply because I assumed that people would self-select. If you consider divorce to be a valid choice, it seems you wouldn't choose go to a church that rails against divorce. But in fact the numbers do show that seems to be the case. It's a powerful argument that people's religious choices are determined by something other than than moral choices.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
It's a powerful argument that people's religious choices are determined by something other than than moral choices.

In my opinion religions, especially the authoritative varieties, tend toward moralizing so that leaders can shield themselves from judgment or criticism by their peers. It might be that the wisdom of the moral life is different from and maybe insignificant relative to the "divine" life. But also, along the lines of socio-economic disadvantage... religion historically has been the bread alone of the masses: the food, shelter, and clothing distribution centers, again, typically aimed toward the poverty- or disaster-stricken populations (these aren't unique or intrinsic to religion, but it is a humanistic niche they've happened to fill). Like if the simple need for meaning or comfort, if debt, community gratitude, authority, and tradition have greater roles than morality...

What's interesting that feelings of need for meaning or comfort, feelings of indebtedness, of gratitude, the influence of authority and tradition -- are all non-theistic, and perhaps a few of these give way to "morality" as well.

AMC

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Or to put it this way...in so far as morality has to do with "moral character," change or breaking said character is considered a transgression.
I don't agree. If I go for a three mile run and stop part-way to sit on a bench, is that a transgression? It may depend on what sort of story we tell ourselves about the run. If we're trying to tell some sort of hero-story about it then maybe it's a transgression. But if we're just some schmo running and we get tired then maybe it's not.

Ethics I think have transgressions. If I steal from you then I've done some sort of harm to you, to me, to the trust between us and to the trust our society can put in people. In my study of ethics I might think about what I can do to undo some of that harm, restore trust.

But in morality? I'm not clear that it has transgressions. I think it has understanding and insight, commitments and growth. Certain religions choose to add transgressions and atonements and the like, but certain religions also don't. If religion can manage such diversity, obviously secular morality can too.

What's interesting is I don't think we're of completely different minds on this point, more a matter of semantics.
Semantics yes, but also intent. I get a sense that guilt and shame may be a bigger deal for you than for me. You might want to give it a bigger part in the narrative because it feels more important to you.

if one has conscience founded on compassion and wisdom, what part does morality play?
Let's say that one has a conscience, and hopes it's founded on compassion and wisdom.

Morality would be an investigation into whether one was right. :)

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Ruv we're not speaking in each other's language. I will try again to say what I mean. In so far as (MORALITY / manner) has to do with (MORALITY / CHARACTER "engraved mark"), the engraved mark is the "set in stone" aspect of the "moral character." Thus, actions which are outside of the boundaries set within this "moral character" are by definition transgressions, or "the exceeding of limits or boundaries".

EX

If I -- AMC the nonviolence activist -- get into a fist fight at a bar... claim responsibility "I did it" ... and feel guilty or shameful (self-denigrating, the character attacking the self) I know exactly why: because I had internalized my own character in such a way that the moment I acted outside of that projection, it looked upon me with scorn (which is really me looking at me, through my own character's perspective, with scorn).

But insofar as morality itself is not characterized / set in stone, it cannot be transgressed.

Semantics yes, but also intent. I get a sense that guilt and shame may be a bigger deal for you than for me. You might want to give it a bigger part in the narrative because it feels more important to you.

It's a contextual thing you wouldn't understand (I had a Catholic background :D). No, really, people feel guilt and shame in very profound ways that have everything to do with themselves, their characters (which I believe are projections), their moral characters (which are no less projections), and, in short, their conscience. As guilt and shame have been used a-plenty to enforce behavior throughout history, with the idea of course that the enforced behavior was Good, I do think those ideas are important, especially in the context of non-theistic sources of morality -- I see shame and guilt as obstructions to growth, though they try to enforce a kind of correction through self-hate.

AMC

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Ruv we're not speaking in each other's language. I will try again to say what I mean.
Thanks for your patience, AMC. I'm definitely interested. Sorry for being thick.

the engraved mark is the "set in stone" aspect of the "moral character." Thus, actions which are outside of the boundaries set within this "moral character" are by definition transgressions, or "the exceeding of limits or boundaries".
I think I get what you're saying, but in conventional usage your character is who you are... not who you say you are, or who anyone else says you are...

So if you say you're a pacifist but wade into a fist-fight then you're a person who (perhaps reluctantly) fights. That's your character. You might not like it, but that's what it is. Perhaps you'll seek to change that; perhaps you'll succeed. But meanwhile all you've transgressed are your character aspirations -- not the character you have.

You might feel that fist-fighting is always bad, and perhaps your bar experience confirms it. 'Never again!' you promise yourself. But what has changed? So far, only your intention.

But then suppose you're in a bar with a friend and some guy whales on him and you call the police and yell stop but otherwise don't physically confront the attacker. Maybe afterward your friend looks at you like you betrayed him. What has changed?

You didn't fight. Even when you wanted to. Even when perhaps it cost you a friendship.

So you've changed.

Are our emotions part of our character? I think it depends. Our emotions are easily manipulated by the stories we tell. I trust motives more than emotions when it comes to speaking to character. It's what we intend while we're taking action that reveals our character, rather than how we feel between bouts.

I see shame and guilt as obstructions to growth, though they try to enforce a kind of correction through self-hate.
I agree that shame and guilt are exploited to control behaviour. I think that they can be used to shape character, and also that they can be a reflection of character -- in the sense that they can be connected to concern and remorse, which can trigger action.

As with all emotions though, the problem is in sorting out what's what. Am I reacting to a story, or to a real event? Is my display of emotion a reaction of my character, a mask I present to the world, or simply a socialised response? It's hard to know until we see a person in action. It's sometimes hard to be sure within ourselves.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
OK. I'm saying by and large that "moral character" (what is deemed goodness of character) often comes "from above", from other humans, from our own artifice, and at some point we conflate or internalize the artifice, or-- let me use your language -- the characters we aspire to with our "real" characters. The conflation or internalization doesn't have to be neat and clean and very often it isn't. Cognitive dissonance is a common psychological effect that comes from something of this conflation/internalization, for example.

Here's how I could break down how I view "character" :

there is character in the sense of sameness/identity (who we aspire to be or call ourselves; what we are called; what defines us; what is expected --- prescriptive)

character in the sense of selfhood/identity (who we actually are --- descriptive)

AMC

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Here's how I could break down how I view "character" :

there is character in the sense of sameness/identity (who we aspire to be or call ourselves; what we are called; what defines us; what is expected --- prescriptive)

character in the sense of selfhood/identity (who we actually are --- descriptive)
Thanks for clarifying, AMC. I think it's making more sense but I feel that there's a middle missing, so let me try and fill it in.

A prescriptive view of morality presupposes that we have an absolute understanding of what 'good' morality looks like. That might work fine for 'received wisdom' philosophies in which morality is codified somehow, but I don't think it's terribly sensible when morality is something we explore experientially through observation -- as I think many non-theists (and indeed some theists) do.

An empirical view of morality is descriptive and predictive -- we can describe and anticipate the moral consequences of (for example) killing someone. But we can't necessarily say that killing someone is bad in all cases; only in the cases we already understand.

We can say that we have a personal aversion to killing someone (i.e. it's a part of our character), but we can't say that this aversion is good or bad in all cases -- unless we appeal to some external authority we have to explore the cases first.

So in terms of character, we might (if we're lucky) have a reasonably clear view of who we are. We might have some idea of how we could be better, but we may never have a complete view of who we ought best to be.

We know a lot about what's good and bad in our own experiences because we examine those things, but outside our experience, our knowledge falls away. Where some appeal to external authority, others may seek to sound the consequences as they go. This is in fact what many children do, and sometimes, grown-ups feel they need to do this too. A lot of it comes down to who we think should be responsible.

Where moral wisdom comes down as a set of rules, people often marshall a case for punishment when anyone breaks the rules. But where we reject received rules I don't think it's so clear-cut. We might make a case to punish when we know and ignore the moral consequences of our actions. We might make an ethical case for being responsible regardless, but we might not be able to make a case to punish when the moral consequences are unknown despite making every reasonable effort to anticipate them.

So I don't think morality is intrinsically punitive, and I don't think it's about making up stories. I think it has to do with conscience, but not just conscience since conscience can be very ignorant at times. It has much more to do with understanding consequences and impacts, and the value we place on others -- and hence it's the natural underpinning for ethics.

Status
Not open for further replies.