What do you all *do*

Heather.R.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A lot of you seem to be freelance magazine writers or write articles for content web sites... I was wondering what other things you do freelance-wise...

Right now most of my work involves managing company blogs and ghost writing articles, as well as the odd resume, web page or college/university entrance stuff. It's not so great for the portfolio, although I have one client who lets me throw my name on 1 out of every 10 or so blogs for my own uses.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Hi Heather :D
Many of us check in on the monthly "Just Hit Send" threads in this forum that outline what we're doing with our freelance careers. Come and join us!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Heather :D
Many of us check in on the monthly "Just Hit Send" threads in this forum that outline what we're doing with our freelance careers. Come and join us!

I always wondered what that was about ;). In my case, I have nothing exciting enough going on to post there though. I just finished working on a package of CLEP exam prep questions. Pretty boring and my name doesn't go on it, but it's on an area I know well and it pays the bills. Not sure if that's the sort of thing I'd post on the just hit send thread, then again, I haven't been doing this full time for too long either.

Eric

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I write a weekly column for a regional newspaper and the odd magazine article. And I'm working on a book.
We get by on very little money, so I'm actually able to live off my writing.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I was wondering what other things you do freelance-wise. . . .
FWIW, I write a weekly column (more than a year of that, now) for www.senior-spectrum.com (for the print edition -- it is, when the site is working, online, but not archived). I also do occasional editing/proof-reading and from time to time set up a book for print-on-demand production. Lately much time (volunteer, though, not paid work) has gone into prep for the Northern California Publishers & Authors 2010 conference. I expect to become a sponsor and to promote services plus the printed version of my booklet on The Pursuit of Publishing.

--Ken

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I do magazine writing almost exclusively, but I also do the occasional random piece of web content to help out friends, and I have a personal blog that I, of course, write. I am also starting to work on fiction, but it is not paying yet, and it is on my (very little) downtime.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
I started freelancing full time in July and have been keeping busy with a bit of magazine writing (mainly video game related), a bit of press release writing / PR work, and a bit of content writing for an educational board game.

I was focused on revising my novel until early December and my agent has it right now, so I'm patiently (heh) waiting to hear back on that... in the meantime, I've been kind of lax in starting another creative project (with the exception of NaNoWriMo, which was fun but exhausting!). If I find I'm still not feeling inspired in that area as my current freelance assignments die down in the next few weeks, I'll probably try pitching some new magazines and hopefully broaden the scope of my magazine writing.

I have a personal blog, too - trying to get more disciplined about posting there regularly!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Well, I do proofreading for one lady. English isn't her first language and she has to write business emails, so I proofread them for her. Lately she hasn't needed me as much though. I'm considering looking for an additional person to proofread for.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered what that was about ;). In my case, I have nothing exciting enough going on to post there though. I just finished working on a package of CLEP exam prep questions. Pretty boring and my name doesn't go on it, but it's on an area I know well and it pays the bills. Not sure if that's the sort of thing I'd post on the just hit send thread, then again, I haven't been doing this full time for too long either.

Eric

That's O.K.; the purpose of JHS isn't to fascinate us, it's a chance for you to crow every time you send something. For some reason it helps. And occasionally something comes of it. Think of it as a support thread.

treehugger

Registered
Reaction score
I only just started freelancing full-time at the beginning of the month (I've done it part-time for a few years), so I'm still settling into my daily routine, but right now most of my income is coming from writing content for Demand Studios. I also write a regular outdoors column for a local paper. When I'm not writing for DS, I'm looking for other jobs and will start querying magazines soon. I also keep a sporadically updated blog and I'm trying to finish a novel, but neither of those are moneymakers (yet).

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I've done mostly articles. I do some content work and have a part-time gig as a discussion leader on a moms site. I'm working on breaking into magazines this year! And I'm gonna do it! This will be my year.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
You go, Sky! You will!

Previously, I made about 75 - 80 percent of my income from trade magazine writing, with a rare one-off something-or-other for a private client thrown in. (Press release, etc.)

Now, I make 1/3 - 1/2 of my income blogging. I'm working on a series of buyer's guides which is my "big client" this month. I do a bit of ghostwriting. A few trade magazine gigs when the editors are generous enough to give me an assignment. And random copywriting for clients.

Dawn

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I do magazine articles of all sorts - local, national and trades. Occasional newspaper work, but usually the cut-throat deadlines don't usually fit with me.
I also do occasional work for small business.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
I string for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch covering two school districts and a town, write for DS & Suite when I get in the mood, write for Examiner (I'm still hoping that will catch on) and I have plans for a blog that I'd love to use as a jumping point for a book. Dream big! I send out queries when I get workable ideas - I've been published in 3 magazines so far. I'm a part timer: my main gig is being a SAHM and I work in the writing when I can. I'd like to ramp it up this year, so I'm trying to figure out a schedule that lets me write and take care of my family.

michellek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.associatedcontent.com
Good Morning Heather!

Hi everyone!

A lot of you seem to be freelance magazine writers or write articles for content web sites... I was wondering what other things you do freelance-wise...

Right now most of my work involves managing company blogs and ghost writing articles, as well as the odd resume, web page or college/university entrance stuff. It's not so great for the portfolio, although I have one client who lets me throw my name on 1 out of every 10 or so blogs for my own uses.

Good Morning Heather!
I write for content sites all the time. I enjoy the low word count and fast pay. I realize that I won't be rich from it, but each penny does add up over time. I keep on writing E-books. I am in the process of sending some articles to magazines and newsletters.

I hate to see rejection letters when I wake up in my mailbox. It is a surprise when I see about five approval letters when I wake up. I usually like to check out the writing forums while I am eating my morning breakfast. I check my e-mail again during lunch time.

What is your favourite part of the day?

My favourite is watching a movie after a long day. A good comedy helps reduce stress.

Just my 2 cents!

Have a nice week!

Michelle
www.visitmichelleonline.com

Heather.R.

Registered
Reaction score
Good Morning Heather!
I write for content sites all the time. I enjoy the low word count and fast pay. I realize that I won't be rich from it, but each penny does add up over time. I keep on writing E-books. I am in the process of sending some articles to magazines and newsletters.

I hate to see rejection letters when I wake up in my mailbox. It is a surprise when I see about five approval letters when I wake up. I usually like to check out the writing forums while I am eating my morning breakfast. I check my e-mail again during lunch time.

What is your favourite part of the day?

My favourite is watching a movie after a long day. A good comedy helps reduce stress.

Just my 2 cents!

Have a nice week!

Michelle
www.visitmichelleonline.com

Thank you everyone for all of your answers, it means a lot :)

I am thinking of learning more about e-books and magazines.... although I learned a lot about magazine freelancing in school, I'm still scared of the idea. But the worst they could say is no :)

Michelle, my favourite part of the day is when I finish a piece for someone and it's their specialty, not mine (law, real estate, construction) and they get back to me saying it's great and doesn't need any changes. And then seeing it used eventually on their web site :)

As for unwinding, I am not too good at that yet. Nor am I very good at managing my schedule from a work-at-home perspective. I have been trying this week to stop working around seven, watch tv and have dinner with my boyfriend to try and unwind, and go to bed at a decent hour :) I am hoping this all takes practice. It's funny how when I used to work at 4 am when I was in school (worked as a baker), I got up at 3:30 no problems. Now that I try to wake up so I can get a good jump on my work, but no one it waiting for me, I fail. More self-discipline is needed.