Status
Not open for further replies.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I believe revenue share is a kind of commision in where you get so much for google hits on the article ads. Something like 1.00 per thousand hits or some such number. I don't like it or trust, since you would have to have mass-appeal subject matter to get your hits up high enough to pay off. Writing about the Twilight movies might push things up there, etc.

Tri

Has anyone written for AdSense? And, how does revenue sharing work? Thanks all. I love this site and all the pay-it-forward people it attracts! : *

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't get why people would use blogspot and not their own blog.theirdomain.com, I mean, it only cost around $10 bucks per year + bandwidth fees, that's like $50 max for the whole darn year if you are crazy on text.

Which could easily be the difference between a 40 dollar profit and a ten dollar loss, magnified by however many blogs one has (I have over 20, some just as low input revenue generators).

Horses for courses.

JoshW

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.purevolume.com
I've been writing for Examiner.com for about a week now. So far I made $2. I spend maybe 15 minutes writing an article per day.

You won't make a living off Examiner, but you'll make some pocket change, and it's a great way to promote your other writing projects.

cherylfoster

Registered
Reaction score
IMO a combination of both of your messages are best bet. I am writing to negotiate the text, I am trying to use my research for these articles to write the contents of my desk. I get instant gratification of ten or twenty dollars (I'm a star on textbroker 4) and the possibility of a residual income. Although I can not (not) to copy my text word for word, combining efforts to create two articles for the price of one gives me the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
I believe revenue share is a kind of commision in where you get so much for google hits on the article ads. Something like 1.00 per thousand hits or some such number. I don't like it or trust, since you would have to have mass-appeal subject matter to get your hits up high enough to pay off. Writing about the Twilight movies might push things up there, etc.

Not true. In fact, subjects that are popular trends can be a handicap while very bland but broad subjects like "carpentry" can ultimately be a lot more financially rewarding than something like "Twilight".

The key is creating evergreen material.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Except that the Twilight examiner clearly does really really well at Examiner and is always topping the charts. Twilight might not be evergreen but it is really-long-time-green. Which, given that sites like this might not last forever (remember 'Today.com'?), is pretty good.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
Except that the Twilight examiner clearly does really really well at Examiner and is always topping the charts. Twilight might not be evergreen but it is really-long-time-green. Which, given that sites like this might not last forever (remember 'Today.com'?), is pretty good.

Part of that is because Examiner.com isn't a very good website for revenue sharing. They do a horrible job at giving decent tools, reporting and maximizing page views per visit. Which means much of their content is newsy/trendy rather than evergreen and those who do write evergreen will see much slower growth than at a place like About.com. (Sadly, Examiner.com don't seem to have gained much knowledge in how to put together this type of content portal in their 2+ years.)

Over time, a trendy topic will see their page views level out and drop as people stop searching for it. Or, for topics like celebrity news, they'll simply level out as the writer continues to chase trends. If you have a solid evergreen topic, your page views will only grow as your continue to write, and will often stay the same or even grow if you stop writing. You could build up a large base and simply spend a few hours a week in maintenance mode and still make great money.

For example, I stopped writing on Examiner on one of my topics about a year ago and on another of them about six months ago and I still get about the same page views on each. It's too bad that their page view rate dropped.

I'd be willing to bet if the Twilight Examiner stopped writing she'd find her page views drop off a good bit.

Last edited:

Discord

Registered
Reaction score
I have a quick question about these sites. I'd really like to start submitting to Demand Studios, but the application process is frightening me a little bit. The thing is, I read the FAQ and it said that once you had been rejected, you could not reapply, even if you gained new experience and a reasonable amount of time had passed. I'm just starting out and I don't have a whole lot of published credits to my name.

Do you think the following might be a reasonable amount of experience to apply with? Do you think I should wait?

I have a bachelors degree (double major) in Theatre and English (Cultural and Media Studies concentration). I write well and have good grasp of grammar and construction. I wrote a short play that was produced in the Turner Studio Theatre in Sherbrooke QC in 2009. I also did some publicity for another play in Sherbrooke, which included writing press releases and some copywriting on bulletins, programs, and posters. Thats pretty much it for experience, although I have plenty of unpublished work.

Would education and a good writing sample be enough to get in on Demand Studios?

Also, has anyone tried Hubpages successfully? Is it worth trying?

DavidGil

Registered
Reaction score
I'd second the Brighthub recommendation. $10 - $15 per article in editorially managed channels, plus revenue share as well for your content being read. You can also publish and work on your own if you don't wish to work alongside an editor, as long as you don't mind no upfronts.
http://www.brighthub.com/community/writers/blog/archive/2010/04/29/drpms-for-april-may-june.aspx
Rates per thousand views tend to vary from month to month. Best paying website I've found anyway that's open to people in the US 'and' outside of it. Seems quite professionally done as well. Do keep in mind they're quite strict though in what they'll accept, especially when working in the editorially managed channels.

Edit: Btw, the website says $20 is the minimum you need in your account to get paid for a given month, but I have a feeling it's now $10.

Last edited:

S. M. Worth

Rift Walker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
smworth.com
I can confirm this. Bright Hub now pays out for $10+ dollars in your account. I have found them to have prompt pay, good pay (for a content site) and friendly editors.

JulieBeth

Registered
Reaction score
While I applaud your enthusiasm, this doesn't strike me as a good list. Textbroker typically pays a penny a word for new writers. Occasionally, for exceptional new writers they pay 1.4 cents a word. Hardly what I would call a living. Even if you get picked to be one of the their 5 point writers, they don't pay enough for what's expected and in all the time I spent there, I never saw exactly two five point jobs. Most of the jobs pay just .7 cents a word.

Xomba Squidoo and Hubpages are all relatively low rated content sites and I know of no one who sees them as really high quality income sources. While you can make some money on them, Suite 101 and Examiner are generally considered better bets (though truth be told, I haven't had much success with either of them as well).

Ehow, yes you can make some money, but since the reputation for ehow is kind of a mixed bag, you don't exactly rake in piles of cash.

Better choices: Demand Studios, Content Divas, Suite 101, Examiner.com and Wisegeek.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric
For passive income only: Since I write for eHow, Suite 101, and HubPages, while I can tell you Suite has the best reputation - yes, because I had to apply with more than an email - they are the lowest paying out of the three lately. eHow (which is only submitted through DS) is by far the highest payin - FOR ME. HubPages is somewhere in the middle. NONE of these will rank in PILES of cash. I think the best bet is a combination, but you will need a lot of articles to earn a decent amount. You also have to decide what you like best. For all of these sites, keyword research is most critical to get traffic.

I do know of people making a successful full-time income with just eHow and HubPages. Just my 2 cents.

For a list of high-paying freelance writing gigs, check out my blog post: http://www.inspiredtowrite.com/2010/09/10-high-paying-freelance-writing-gigs.html

Last edited:

jimmytazz

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
i want to add one associatedcontent.com ....

herlinoah

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
According to me the the best paying sites is Break studio, break Studios articles is to have the more easy topics and it provide lot of fun and really easy to write, the top 5 paying sites are demand studio, hub page, break studio, Xomba and text broker.

Kurlumbenus

Registered
Reaction score
I found myself somewhat nervous after hearing about people's experiences with suite101, particularly when it came to editor response times and endless rewrites - particularly as my first article is something topical.

Imagine my gratitude and surprise when it was accepted just ten minutes after I submitted it! I think that this thread has a lot to do with my success, as I took the experiences of the rest of you into account as I proceeded.

Update: The piece I wrote was included in the Suite101 Daily!

Last edited:

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
*bump*

Just wanted to update this. It seems that brighthub is no longer hiring? Does anyone know? I've searched around the entire website and couldn't find any section devoted to hiring new writers.

This is just getting depressing. I wish I had started this career three years ago...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
It's very, very depressing. My bank account is getting sapped and there's no replacement content money going in. I'm with Examiner, Testbroker, and WriterAcess. Examiner is pure crap, and I'm too low ranked on WA to get any work. I'll try Textrbroker next for the first time, but they pay shit too.

tri

My DMS automotive site went bone dry. We're done there, and so are thousands of other writers in their dried up categories.

JD Laukkonen

Registered
Reaction score
Textbroker always has enough work, but I hear you really have to stalk the open order queue at levels 2 and 3 if you want to make a living. People are apparently able to do it, and they definitely have my respect (there's no way I could do it.)

Back in February, I returned to textbroker after a long absence. I was a level 4 writer, and textbroker was my only source of income. There was always enough work, but man was it a slog to crank out enough words every day. I don't ever want to have to do that again, but it's nice to know that it's there.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Textbroker is GREAT if you can stay at a 4. I'm currently a 4 and making decent money there. The reason I've been trying to branch out is because of fear of being demoted to a 3. There is indeed always work, but it's so much harder as a 3. Probably 75% of the work at least is at a 4 and 5 star level. There is pretty much nothing at the 2 star.

That said, someone on the forums over there claims to be making over $100 a day as a 3. I have no idea how they are doing it. I imagine most of it is coming from direct order clients and team orders. I've applied to a bunch of teams but none of them seem active. My applications just sit there forever.

Writer's Access rejected me, but considering some of the things I've heard about it, I'm starting to think I wouldn't want to bother working there anyway.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Gads, looking at TextBroker and the available topics for my three star position, for the life of me I can't figure out how to write one of these articles in the first place. The directions are so general and incomplete. I also don't know how to add words into the text--they call that addsence or something?

Anybody have a sample of what a TextBroker article looks like?

I wrote over 1,600 articles for DMS, and made a crap load of money, but they've pretty much dried up unless you have a degree or can do videos and slideshow text/presentations.

tri

JD Laukkonen

Registered
Reaction score
Textbroker has orders from all different types of clients, so there's no single format that every order needs to follow. Some clients are looking for blog posts, and others want press releases, articles, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "add words into the text" though.

Deleted member 42

No; SEO means Search Engine Optimization. It's an attempt to write in a way that will rank a Web page or post in the first few listings in a search engine's results.

It's stupid, in general. The parts of SEO that are sensible have to do with good writing, and rhetorical strategies like a clear, appropriate title, non-boring writing, good links, incoming and outgoing, properly made links (use to descriptive and appropriate text anchors) and being creative, inventive, smart, and original.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a client require putting links through the text on textbroker. Occasionally I see someone request a bit of html, but since my skills in that department are rusty I usually just skip those orders. It isn't very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.