I'm assuming most of you, fine people, have other jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariaramos85

Registered
Reaction score
I go through stages when it is nearly impossible for me to concentrate on anything other than the current writing project, and that's not very helpful when you owe 40 hours of your time elsewhere. As I'm driving to work, I get images and ideas, and "listen in" on my characters having an argument. By the time I get to work - I'm very ready to write, and sketch, and take notes. I can't quite do that, seeing that I have a job to do.

My brain is being torn in two opposite directions!

I know what you mean about your brain being pulled in opposite directions. I am a self-employed engineer, and while I work from home and make my own hours, it is a really hard job that uses 95% of my brain capacity. I have, within the last couple of years, gotten very serious about my writing, but as a result, my mental needle is always in the red. I wonder sometimes if I am going to break something in there. Hasn't happened yet. hopefully, we'll publish someday soon, and get rid of the strain.

Carpinttas

Reading Hyperbole and a Half :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crows-wolves.blogspot.com
I'm a student, so I have some free time, and when the teachers aren't looking I reach for my notebooks and... :tongue
I find it easy to write and study, though I am not a serious writer.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an administrative assistant, so there are days when I can spend hours writing, and there are other days where it just will not happen. Of course, today is a day that I could have spent more time writing if I hadn't spent so much on AW. :)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I just got the perfect job today. :D

12 hours a week [7-9am] cleaning in a shop. I get home just after 9am, do the house work and divide the rest of the day between the WIP and my dissertation.

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
My day job is that of a college student (during the school year), but hopefully I can find somewhere to work this summer (since I have no other plans).

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in finance, my job revolves around explaining why we missed (or exceeded) expectations by $X million every month, in addition to other fun financial reporting. My work time is around 45 hours per week plus 3 hours a day of commuting.

One thing I can say for it is that it's very different than writing, so I'm flexing new mental muscles when I get home and write. My job can be mentally draining though (especially the commute). I hope to someday be earning enough writing to make it my full-time job, but I suspect that won't be for a long time (if ever).

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I work in a mail room. I can manage to write between half a page to a page a day inbetween periods where work is low or really boring. Working in a mail room has been real good for my writing, funnily enough. I've done 24,000 words in the past six months which I mostly did at work because I was so damn bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.