• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Merpoint Publishing

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Well I've just taken a look through Merpoint's FAQs and it's not encouraging.

Merpoint FAQs:
Merpoint publishes books in a number of different genres including fiction, non-fiction, biographies, memoirs, young adult, mystery & thrillers, parenting & family, lifestyle & home, romance, historical, humor, inspirational, nostalgia, travel and children’s chapter books.

For the reasons discussed by other posters, it's usually better for a start-up publisher to focus on one or two genres - usually those with which it has the most familiarity/presence/experience - so that it will be taken seriously more quickly.

Merpoint FAQs:
Merpoint’s e-books can be purchased through a number of online e-book retailers including, but not limited to, Amazon, Sony’s Reader store, eBook.com, BooksOnBoard, Powell's eBooks and Fictionwise. This list will increase quickly and evolve as new e-book retailers and e-readers enter the market.

These are all good stores, but I'm surprised that they're not also selling on their own website, if only to help secure brand awareness.

There's also the problem of how to distinguish its authors ebooks from the thousands of other ebooks that are also available on those sites. How is Merpoint going to market their books and make them stand out so that people will want to go to those sites and buy them?

Merpoint FAQs:
All submissions will be replied to within 24 hours to verify receipt and let authors know if any additional information is required. We request 4 to 6 weeks for us to review your book, but make every effort to reduce that timeframe.

The time frame is ambitious in terms of verifying receipt, particularly if they get a lot of responses. I'd suggest that like many publishers, they'll find they can tell a publishable manuscript from an unpublishable one in the first few pages - thereby reducing the 4 - 6 week time frame.

Merpoint FAQs:
No, Merpoint is a non-subsidy publisher; we are not a vanity publisher. There are never any costs for us to publish your book.

It's good that they're not charging any money, but then they're not paying anything up front either. I'm reserving judgment on whether they're a vanity publisher until more details emerge of their quality control - particularly given that the number of books they plan to produce is ambitious and holds all the qualities of an author mill.

Merpoint FAQs:
Merpoint pays between 35% and 50% in royalties. The percentage depends on a number of factors including how much editing is needed, whether or not cover art is required and if the book has been published previously. Because all books are being sold through online book retailers, the royalty payment percentage is based on retail price minus the sellers cut ~ for example, Amazon retains 35% of the retail price of each sale. (The Math on an Amazon sale for an author getting a 40% royalty payment: Retail Price = $10.00, Amazon retains 35% or $3.50… this leaves $6.50, the Author gets 40% or $2.60 from the sale and Merpoint retains the remaining 60% or $3.90 to cover publishing and promotional services provided.) This is substantially higher than ANY other publisher in print or e-book format.

That's not a great deal because they're basically paying royalties on net rather than cover price and the figure that the 35-50 percent is taken from will vary from retailer to retailer.

Merpoint FAQs:
Print publishers typically pay between 2% to 8% for printed works and up to 25% for e-books, if they publish it in that format at all

Misleading. Not only will commercial publishers pay you an advance up front for your work (meaning that you are less reliant on royalties), but royalty figures will usually be higher and staged. More print publishers are taking ebook rights and that will be factored into the advance and royalty payments.

Merpoint FAQs: (BOLDING MINE)
The contract is partially negotiable and authors are encouraged to review it thoroughly and discuss any questions or concerns they may have

Whereas some aspects of publishing contracts are fairly standard, key commercial clauses should be negotiable. I'd be interested in knowing what Merpoint will not be open to change.

Merpoint FAQs:
Merpoint requests the digital publishing rights to your book for a period of 3 years. There is a cease-to-exist clause in our contract that lets authors get back the rights to their books if Merpoint Publishing, LLC stops operating.

It's questionable to what extent a 3 year period is of use to authors - depending on who's taking primary responsibility for marketing, it could mean that they cease publishing just as your sales are picking up. This also contradicts another page on the site which states they're looking for contracts of between 3 and 5 years (not that the period matters if the marketing is not there).

The cease-to-exist clause might sound reassuring but check with an insolvency lawyer because if the company goes into liquidation, it is usually open to a liquidator to retain rights and sell them on as assets of the company.

In addition, check how "cease to operate" is defined. If it only covers liquidation, then it could mean that your contract remains in place even if the company is no longer actively trading.

Merpoint FAQs:
Q: What's your plan for getting books into bookstores?

A: Merpoint is an electronic publishing company. Although we offer print-on-demand and audio books through partnership agreements, we do not do book signings as this is not our primary form of book publishing. We do do web meet and greets with our authors." TO "Although Merpoint offers print-on-demand (POD) and audio books through partnership agreements, our primary focus is on e-books and e-book readers vs. brick-and-mortar bookstores. We do host online meet-and-greet sessions with our authors

To summarise then, they have no plans to get your books into bricks and mortar stores.

I'm not sure how they're planning to offer POD or audio books given that their contract is not taking those rights. I'd also want to know who these POD and audio publishers are.

Merpoint FAQs:
Merpoint is currently working with very talented freelance artists and graphic production houses. For now, we will keep the names of these jewels to ourselves… we can’t give away ALL of our trade secrets!

I was unaware that the names of illustrators was a trade secret. I'm particularly having problems seeing how it could be a trade secret given that it's planning to use freelancers who would presumably want to be able to point to their work as part of their resume.

Merpoint FAQs:
No, Merpoint does not pay advances. However, a number of the factors that necessitated advances in the print publishing industry are eliminated by electronic publishing. E-books can be moved from contract signing to market much faster and royalty payments are significantly higher.

Erm ... what? There are several ebook publishers who pay advances for electronic works - the medium does not prevent a company from offering one.

Ebooks might be capable of going to market more quickly than print books, however royalties are only paid on sales and if you've got not strategy in place to sell the same, how are the royalty payments going to be higher?

Merpoint FAQs:
Royalty payment percentages are based on the completeness of submissions received. For example, a work that requires a fair amount of editing and polishing will receive a smaller royalty percentage than a title that has been thoroughly edited and/or published previously.

No.

Royalty payments shouldn't be determined by the amount of editing required on a manuscript. If a manuscript needs a lot of work before publication then either (a) don't accept it or (b) include the cost of such editing in the cover price.

You don't stiff authors for your own poor business decisions.

Merpoint FAQs:
It really depends on the volume of submissions we receive. Through the use of freelance and contract workers, we have the ability to easily scale the amount of work we can handle up or down. We anticipate publishing 100 - 200 new titles this year and would like to put 700 - 1000 existing titles into the e-book format to publish before end of 2010.

This is worrying. It suggests that there will be little quality control.

Merpoint FAQs:
We have established relationships with book reviewers, online journals, news outlets, writer & reader blogs, online book retailers, online video production houses, and press release companies.

Which ones?

There are also worrying signs on the Services page.

Merpoint website:
Merpoint provides editing services to make your book polished and ready for publication. We respect your writing style and tone and it is not our goal to change any of that. However, we do expect all submissions to be finished, well-written works free of general grammatical and spelling errors.

Editing is not just grammar and spelling. Does the structure of the story work? Are the characters believable? Is the dialogue effective?

Merpoint website:
Merpoint Publishing is committed to ensuring that your works are promoted through multiple avenues. For each published work, we will issue a press release, solicit reviews, and post on reader sites and online communities. We do expect authors to be active participants in the promotional process though.

Our authors are represented on our website with a brief bio, photo, and an excerpt from their book(s). In addition, we ensure a full web presence through your own webpage on our site, Facebook and Twitter.

So basically their marketing strategy is social networking?

Merpoint website: (BOLDING MINE)
Merpoint Publishing also seeks individuals to to help read and vet all the submissions we are receiving. This position does not receive direct compensation If however, you bring us or identify a successful title, you will receive 5% of the royalties on the sales of the book when once it has sold greater than 10,000 copies. If it never reaches 10,000 copies sold, no royalty is paid. This position does require a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement between you and Merpoint Publishing, LLC

What does that 5% come out of? The author's cut or Merpoint's cut?

Merpoint website:
Jennifer Pitzer is Co-Founder of Merpoint Publishing. Jennifer holds a degree in business administration from The University of Texas at Austin and has experience in writing, solicitation of content for publication, proofreading, editing, design/layout, and working with publishers for both print and digital publication.

I'd like to know which publishers, particularly because the range of roles described here is incredibly wide-ranging. I'm particularly interested in knowing which commercial publisher had a role relating to "solicitation of content for publication".

MM

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Merpoint Publishing said:
Merpoint Publishing also seeks individuals to to help read and vet all the submissions we are receiving. This position does not receive direct compensation If however, you bring us or identify a successful title, you will receive 5% of the royalties on the sales of the book when once it has sold greater than 10,000 copies. If it never reaches 10,000 copies sold, no royalty is paid. This position does require a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement between you and Merpoint Publishing, LLC

Has any e-book--ever--sold 10,000 copies? Maybe Dan Brown's latest?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
The good thing is, they seem to have taken my set of questions and used them to build their FAQ. I'll give them a brownie point for that.

The bad thing is, I'm not sure they really thought out their answers before posting them. Some of their answers are darn right head scratchers to me.

Still sounds like a "I've got a barn, you've got a guitar, let's put on a show" but at least they seem to be thinking about how they're going to decorate the barn now.

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Momento Mori,

That solicitation of content for publication makes me think she worked on one of the campus publications, as does the list of skills provided.

At my school, it wasn't uncommon for the magazine staff to track down professors or students to contribute articles for publication, esp. if they had just received an award or something. It was usually accompanied by an interview with the contributor. Most of those staffs were small, so you might go from editorial to layout to proofing to manning the phones all in the same afternoon.

I know when I worked for the local paper back in HS, I was the sports editor (I had two people working for me), plus I was a sports reporter, took pictures at the event, edited articles from the other two HS reporters, helped the publisher do the layout of the newspaper and learned how to run the old linotype machine. Probably why I didn't get along with my journalism professors at college, they were big on "how it should be done" and I was "this is how it *is* done".

Major reason my degree's in History. *wry grin*

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Richard - that would explain it. If that's correct (and I'm waiting to see any kind of information from the owners as to their actual publishing experience), then while I give them kudos for their willingness to get stuck in, it isn't nearly enough for me to want to risk a book with them.

MM

Richard White

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Momento Mori,

I give them credit for answering the questions, even if I don't like the answers.

Not like Uprising, who seems to think changing their name will solve all their problems.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I think who the illustrators are is an important issue in these start up companies, and shouldn't be a secret. I've looked at some covers from new publisher's sites (that shall not be named) and they are awful---like 8th grade color pencil drawings, very amateurish.

Covers play a big part in selling books. Unless you're looking for an author you already know, it's the cover that makes you pick up the book and read the back flap--even in e-books. If I go to the publisher site and see a bunch of crappy covers, I already assume the quality I'm going to get, which is a shame really for the author.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Richard White:
I give them credit for answering the questions, even if I don't like the answers.

Fair comment and point taken. I'm just concerned that we've all seen this sort of thing before.

MM

chris41336

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I took the plunge. I submitted a MS to them, just to test the waters. (Hey, somebody had to.)

There was an automated reply, which then told me that there would be a more personal reply to acknowledge their receipt of my MS. The next day I received said E-mail, from Jennifer, saying thanks for the submission and if they have any other requests that they would get back to me. They told me that it would be 4-5 weeks before that they would reply.

So far, it seems a little more legit. No "instant acceptance", as some place like publish america would do. I'll let you guys know what comes next.