• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sonar4 Publications

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The anthologies are 4theluv, so "legitimacy" would be judged on editorial strength and the company you keep.

The press itself is a publishing anchor of The Fictioneers authors' club, which means it's one of the few publications accepted for membership credit. The worth of that depends upon your opinion of the club, I suppose.

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
BEWARE!

This is one of the worst publishers I've worked with in 20 years.

The book contract seems like it was written by a 5th grader, but I have no one to blame but myself for signing it. The publisher, Rob Walters, refuses to talk on the phone, saying it's too hard to schedule a phone call. He has flat-out refused to send me author's galley proofs of my book. And of course he's giving me absolutely no say in back-cover copy.

He has even gotten upset with me for promoting the book ahead of publication. When I asked why, he couldn't give me a straight answer. I thought maybe the issue was that he wanted to pre-approve all of my promotional efforts; when I asked if this was the case, he ignored my question.

Beware of this "publisher." Stay away.

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
Well, here's one in Sonar4's corner. They've agreed to release me from my contract with them prior to publication, and they're going to refund all pre-orders. I still advise folks to stay away from them, but at least when it came down to brass tacks with me, they were willing to honor this one request.

rob walter

Registered
Reaction score
Disappointed

We feel that we have acted professional in all of your demands. All we asked with you was that you talk to us before hand before a promotion idea and we have asked that so we did not overlap. We did not say we were upset about your promotion, just to talk to us before hand instead of just telling us as we are an active publisher and may have had that in the works. We did answer your question on this.

We are not available a lot on the phone because we have a strange time table and did not wish to make an appointment with you that would have been missed. This does not mean we have anything to hide.

We offered you a way out of the contract because you were not happy with us. Something most publishers would not do.

Also, the back cover all we said is that we would look at all options to chose the best and we had final say. This did not mean we would have not used your suggestion.

It is sad that you feel the need to keep saying stuff like our contract was written by a 5th grader ect. We felt the contract was fair.

We did the professional thing of giving you an option of being released from Sonar4 to find a publisher you were happy with. As it seems you have.

The gallery copy was demanded at first, the impression given was you did not trust we would give you one. Yes we discussed final say in it. However, it did seem that from the beginning you did not trust us on anything. We did ask you on several occasions why you submitted to us if you were unsure because we don't wish an author to be unhappy with their decision. You did not answer that question.

We are disappointed that you feel the need to disgrace Sonar4 Publications in all regards because there was a couple of disagreements. We tried to work with you in a professional manner, set up interviews, invested money and had things lined up. However, we realized after awhile you were still unhappy and offered to allow you to break the contract to find someone you felt was more suitable for your needs. As said before most companies would not do that.

We felt the need to say both sides of the story. We do understand you were upset about the situation, but also feel that you have found a more suitable publisher to fit your needs and that this is becoming unnecessary for you to continue bashing us.

Also, we do not wish to get into any internet feud, we felt it necessary to explain our side of things.

Sincerely,

Rob Walter

This is one of the worst publishers I've worked with in 20 years.

The book contract seems like it was written by a 5th grader, but I have no one to blame but myself for signing it. The publisher, Rob Walters, refuses to talk on the phone, saying it's too hard to schedule a phone call. He has flat-out refused to send me author's galley proofs of my book. And of course he's giving me absolutely no say in back-cover copy.

He has even gotten upset with me for promoting the book ahead of publication. When I asked why, he couldn't give me a straight answer. I thought maybe the issue was that he wanted to pre-approve all of my promotional efforts; when I asked if this was the case, he ignored my question.

Beware of this "publisher." Stay away.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed Aug '12 due to "... personal life reasons, the economy and other situations ...".