The Tenth Circle

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Lily's Learning Experience for this week: Let the intense edit letter sit a full week.

Lily, that's exactly what I did. My editorial letter came for ALIENATED, and although my editor's suggestions were brilliant, and I agreed with every proposed change, it felt overwhelming. So I gave myself permission to do nothing for several days, then I sat down and made a spreadsheet outlining the current chapters. I think that taking time to process the edits helped me not to freak out. (much).

Sorry about the blunt pass. :-(

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Sure you'll be fine, Anne. *hugs*

*Sigh*

Anyone else ever have a crisis of confidence about book 2? What if it's not as good as the one they saw before they bought? What if it's an unholy hot mess? Should I add a couple of scenes with a character from first book (to set up for 3) even though they don't have huge amounts to do in this book? Does my plot even make sense? Ahhhh!

*gibbers*

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand too* Also with book 3. I'm just not as confident in it as I was in the first two.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Same here! I didn't get any editorial feedback from AR after I submitted the full manuscript of book 1, perhaps because I'd already revised it several times (including once to their specifications). I still gave it another edit pass, though, before my official handover date, because I'm a perfectionist.

Book 2 OTOH is 1st/2nd draft, full of plot inconsistencies where I made stuff up as I went along in a desperate attempt to hit my deadline, so I'm very slightly dreading seeing my editor at Eastercon. Knowing him, he'll pretend it's rubbish just to wind me up, then say something terribly insightful that has me scurrying away to spend another couple of months fixing it :)

Just don't ask about Book 3...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Oh good, it isn't just me. Phew. Lol.

Though I feel a bit better after using the old faithful method of plotting - go for a nap. For some reason I get all my best ways out of plot problems just as I'm about to go to sleep. It's a million to one chance, but this plot just might work!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
IRU - I do the same thing. That place between awake and asleep is where my best ideas come from. (the trick is remembering them after you wake up!)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. {{{sigh}}}

Despite my horoscope's rosy predictions for the month of March, not only have I not heard anything from my promising publishing contact, but I also got another day-job rejection the other day. (The one encouraging bit of news I got is that Publishing Contact has been on vacation for 3 weeks. This, from his sister, who was my initial reason for contacting him).

I am beginning to feel a certain malaise creeping in. I've let my Weight Watchers lapse a bit too in the wake of all this, and I'm starting to get discouraged. Despite the fact that everyone who has read my book #2 loves it.

I'm approaching 46 in July, and after several unsuccessful day job interviews, I'm starting to feel unemployable because of my age already (even though it's not necessarily true). Before 2009, there had never been a job I applied for that I did not get. I'm a kickass interviewee.

This scares the shit out of me, especially if I can't get the publishing thing happening either. Let me just end this post like this...

:gaah

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Hip-Hop}}}

OL and I both had a few years on you when we debuted. Age has no bearing on publishing contracts. Much good luck on the job front. Mr. Lily is 59 and running into the same issue. Grr.

*sends a cute imp with a sharp pitchfork to "encourage" Publishing Contact*

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Hip-Hop}}}

OL and I both had a few years on you when we debuted. Age has no bearing on publishing contracts. Much good luck on the job front. Mr. Lily is 59 and running into the same issue. Grr.

*sends a cute imp with a sharp pitchfork to "encourage" Publishing Contact*

Thanks, sweetie.

I know it's not as big a deal for publishing. But there is the whole "needing a day job to keep eating" thing I'm more worried about for daily life in general. I'd just rather not go the Helen Hooven Santmeyer route if I can avoid it.

Thanks for the virtual poke for the vacationing fella. Loving the book so far. I like the Godzilla/Mothra screensaver. Nice touch. :)

Last edited:

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Anne: !!!
Lily: Ugh, I know the feeling. Just don't circle for too long, okay? Small doses and lots of inducements to get yourself through.
Hip-Hop: Hang in there. Sending you all my good-luck vibes.

Finally heard back from my agents on my proposal/sample chapter. They think it's overwritten (gulp) but overall like it and now want me to outline the entire book. My response: OHMYGODICAN'TDOTHISOHMYGODOHMYGOD. Which means I need to chill, and then do it. Outlining a book that hasn't been fully researched yet is nervewracking to say the least, much less figuring out the best structure for the damn thing! Anyway, my deadline is end of next week, so here goes nothing....

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Anne: !!!
Lily: Ugh, I know the feeling. Just don't circle for too long, okay? Small doses and lots of inducements to get yourself through.
Hip-Hop: Hang in there. Sending you all my good-luck vibes.

Finally heard back from my agents on my proposal/sample chapter. They think it's overwritten (gulp) but overall like it and now want me to outline the entire book. My response: OHMYGODICAN'TDOTHISOHMYGODOHMYGOD. Which means I need to chill, and then do it. Outlining a book that hasn't been fully researched yet is nervewracking to say the least, much less figuring out the best structure for the damn thing! Anyway, my deadline is end of next week, so here goes nothing....

Permit me to OMG along with you. I've done that once. I never what to do it again. However, it looks like you have a premium publisher, which means: yes, you can chill and do it.

Tri

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Thanks, Tri. I don't have a second book deal (only a first refusal clause in my contract), but I am optimistic, mainly out of blind enthusiasm but also because something in this idea is niggling at and bugging me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tiny awesomes:

1. I got the initial cover comp for book 3. No "habit" title, which relieves me because I was reaching for one on this book, and the editor said "it opens things up for future books"--SO OFFER ME A NEW CONTRACT, PLS! KTHXBAI.

2. Someone from corporate is here doing inventory this week. She cane in with book 1 for me to sign today and said that the local B&N is not SOLD OUT of books 1 and 2. :snoopy: I can has reorder, baby!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, gonna do a little venting here, 'cause y'all can appreciate my circumstances.

Basically, my writerly confidence has taken a huge hit in the past few months. My sales are not nearly what I always hoped they would be, the Rockstar is "fairly certain" they're not going to want to continue my series. I no longer have any faith at all in book 3 to not suck. Really, I feel like it's going to be the nail in my career coffin.

All this is hampering my ability to prepare the new series books that I have. Rockstar wants me to get stuff prettied up so we have something to offer immediately if/when the JJD series is dropped. But I keep looking at this thing, wondering what if it also sucks, and I just don't know it yet? What if I only had one good series in me, and I totally failed at that too?

And to top it all off, I feel like admitting all this is also a failure on my part somehow. Like authors are always supposed to be confident in their work and enthusiastic about their creations, and right now, I'm just not.

I'ma go mope in the corner.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*>THWAP<*

Srsly, since books 1 and 2 most certainly did not suck, book 3 will also most certainly not suck.

And I'm no one to talk, since I've been thwapping myself over my own book 3 for 2 weeks now, since I got the edit letter.

You are a very good writer--remember how Rockstar signed you after reading only a bit of Devil? Thus, you are a very good writer.

Also, I've read Peacemaker, remember? So shush.

*sends mimosas and a hunky masseur*