The Tenth Circle

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Happy New Year, everyone! Just poking my head in to say that...

• I survived 2011, somehow. Go, me.
  • I was invited to an advanced novel workshop, which means that despite myself I am going to get work on the novel done in 2012.
  • God help me, I finally found my next big non-fiction idea. I am really excited...so excited that I'm scared. I hereby publicly declare that I will have a draft of the proposal ready by the 31st.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
/random

More and more, commercial publishing feels like it's going the way of the television industry: if you aren't an instant hit, you're canceled. There's no room for allowing a show/author to build an audience.

/end random

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Thanks, guys. The random wasn't specifically about me this time. Heard another author friend got dumped by our publisher, so it's mostly for her and everyone else who wasn't an insta-hit. :(

UF is just difficult to stay afloat in right now, and it sucks for a lot of talented people.

Last edited:

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Had two series I really liked cancelled within the last year, both for poor sales. It's enough to make a girl paranoid.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Three monkeys off my back, one to go.

B00klist likes BitH:

Giulia Falcone, of Driscoll Investigations, goes undercover to the Motherhouse in Pittsburgh to help determine why a novice, Bridget, killed herself. The superior general of the Motherhouse, Sister Mary Fabian, insists Bridget was psychologically unfit to be a nun, but Bridget’s parents disagree. Giulia takes on the assignment reluctantly, for she left the sisterhood only a year and a half ago, and she is still coming to terms with her decision. Giulia soon determines something is very wrong. The remaining two novices are overworked and unhappy, and one is drinking. As nuns from around the world gather for the Saint Francis Day celebration, events spiral out of control, leaving Giulia in danger as she discovers the shocking truth behind the novices’ troubles. The novel boasts a complex heroine and a story that draws the reader into the world of the sisterhood.

I really like that they didn't give one whit of the ending twist away.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome review, Lil!

Spent the evening getting sample chapters of three different books sent off to the agent. Trying to pick what we want to pitch next, just in case.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Well, I hiked up my proverbial skirts, took a deep breath and told my agent about my book idea. And he loved it! You know what that means: it's even more vital that the proposal get done, and soon. Ohmygodohmygod. So glad I can check in here to see other people getting it done. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I haz an ARC! :snoopy:

I can now hold a copy of my debut novel in my hands - thrilling and awesome!

AoS-ARC_front.jpg

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
It is, isn't it? The back cover ain't bad either (blog about it goes up in a few hours).

I emailed my publicist to ask if they sent an ARC to RT. He asked if I was serious*, and I said damn right I am! *lol*

I know my book isn't romance per se, but there's a strong romantic subplot and I know that the RWA is a broad church these days. Here's hoping...

* This is what I get for being published by a company staffed by male geeks. They're total sweeties and really have their finger on the 21st century pulse, but they have a few blind spots when it comes to "girl's stuff" :)