The Tenth Circle

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I confess I rather like my iPad for reading, particularly the iBooks app itself - the page-swipe effect is so slickly done, it's a pleasure all of its own. Plus I can increase the font size if I need to, and adjust the page contrast too.

The Kindle app on the iPad is similar but definitely inferior. I have owned and enjoyed eInk devices, but they certainly lack the aesthetics of either paper or a really good app.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I said that it's also available online at Amaz and BN. Her response: "Oh, I don't consider that "real" publication."

Yowch. I didn't want to lecture her on how many books are available in print and e, but I was surprised at this perception.

See, I struggle with this perception myself. We seem to hear every day about authors who are going the self-pub ebook route, especially when their series are being dropped by their original publisher, or about big publishers themselves offering E-only contracts. And part of me keeps thinking that I fought so hard to get into print books, to be considered a legitimate author, and I'm not sure that people like my family would understand that an ebook can be just as legitimate.

These are the things that plague my brain.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Lily, hopefully you're close. And you still have some time. That was your first statement, right? Plus, when the new book comes out that can lead to sales for the first.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Don't worry, I'm nowhere close to earning out, either :)

Back in the day, we were talking BookScan numbers versus royalty statements...I finally have my first statement and have compared it to a year's worth of BookScan numbers. Is this something anyone would be interested in? You would have to promise not to laugh at my sales figures.

And this is probably as good a time as any to say that I'm really grateful for all of you. I love knowing I can come to this thread, vent, complain, and be insecure, and have really good and wise company. Happy Turkey Day!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
That's my understanding, too Anne. Still, it does cause a moment of *sigh*. :)

Onward! May mobs of angry nuns armed with torches and sharpened crucifixes storm my book 2 signings.

Think of the TV coverage! Think of the sales!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yes, Lily, what Anne said. Somebody published a great analysis of how a book that does NOT earn out can be more profitable for a publisher than one that does.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Anne - You can do eet!

I'm still waiting on...everything, really. Still don't have my official acceptance on book 3 yet. I know why (it's because once they accept it, the clock starts ticking on how long they have to get first dibs on anything else of mine) but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I'd really like to know where my career is going from here, y'know?

Also waiting on cover art.

Don't expect to hear anything on either issue before the first of the year. I'm coasting through the end of the year, and I figure everyone in publishing is too.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Anne, I envy you your 80k "mess." I have a Feb. 1 deadline too and I have 27,900. I need 70K. :Headbang: *panicflail*

Let's just say Christmas is getting a cursory pass this year. :(

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
@Tasmin - thanks! I'm waiting on approval of a synopsis (and the associated payment!), but I don't have time to think about Book Three anyway...

@Callalily - you have my sympathy. My 80k needs to turn into 120k minimum, otherwise it's going to look very feeble next to my 140k debut!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm waiting on things, too. The longer we don't hear on more Bantam books, the more sure I am that they'll say no and the series is dead.

I'm fixing the proposal for MetaWars 3 and 4, but since my old editor at Pocket is gone, I have no idea if the new one will want this series.

I have copy edits for MetaWars 2 to do this weekend, but other than that....

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I am editing my 2nd Pocket book under the Sims name, which as of yet does not have a title or a cover. Then I have an 80k fast draft of my next Berkley book that I need to turn into a nice shiny novel by January 1. Getting mighty sick of editing round here!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Ask, and ye shall receive:

Good news: I have seen my cover art for book 3 and I LOVE it!

Bad news: It's a rough draft, and I can't show anyone yet. *dies of ded*

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Hoo boy, glad this thread is ALLIIIIVVVVEEEE because this is where I'm at.

I'm heading up the big hill on the Emo-Coaster getting ready for the Getaway (Book #2) launch. I suddenly had/have all this stuff to do for that. Am making progress getting through the list. At the same time, RPT (Book #1) is launching in the UK and I have stuff to do for that. Everyone in the UK is very excited, so that's mostly been fun. As opposed to the abject terror and insecurity I'm feeling about Book #2, and boy, am I feeling it. there is some film stuff floating around, nothing big budget, but fun. And am working away on Book #3, close to 60K.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Lily, did you get K1rkus'ed? Remember, if it's not a bad review, it isn't K1rkus. Apparently every morning someone takes a dump in their collective cheerio's. :Hug2:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Yep, Lisa. I'm batting 1000 with them. They snarked at book 1 and book 2. I wonder if they gave it to a rabidly pro-Catholic reviewer who has a sister in a convent somewhere. Srsly. I mean, the book has a lot of good, sweet nuns who are good Catholics. Heck, my MC is a good Catholic! But the bad guys weren't.

Bah.

Last edited:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I thankfully did not get reviewed by them for RPT. Rather hoping they skip TBTTTKM™ too. I really don't get where they are coming from, because they are so negative most of the time that a lot of people just dismiss them.

Still sucks though...sorry you are having to deal with this!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
This is why I Don't Read Reviews. However, my in-house publicist who sends out ARCs and books signings for me sends the Big 4 reviews to me. Keeping her happy is good for my career, so... I read those 4 reviews. Sigh.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I do read them, and you know, it's a weird thing. Some bother me, some don't. The freaky ones where you get the sense there's a personal agenda, those can get to me.