Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Guys: Y'all may already know about this: Free Book Friday. I just found out about it today. It's free (I didn't choose any of their "pay to move up in the queue" options). You fill in your info, answer 5 of their few dozen stock questions, agree to give away 3-5 signed books, and they'll slot you in.

It took me about half an hour to fill in everything they wanted, and now when it crops up, I have a blog interview all set. Can't hurt, and the work is done.

In case any of you want to try it. :)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
So.

Just had a phone conversation that I was dreading would come (but deep down, I knew it would). The Agent has decided that with his new big-name-client responsibilities, he no longer has time for all of his other clients, and I'm one of the ones he's dropping.

He's making a few phone calls to some other agents he is friendly with, to see if they can/want to take me on (I think he's calling G!nger Cl@rk as one of them, which would make me Blonde's agent buddy!) and I may make a few inquiries to some other agents myself.

I knew this was coming. I mean, when the man doesn't return a single email in a six-month period, there's obviously something up. At least we're getting the switch out of the way before I have to worry about negotiations for further books in the JJD series, or for any other new projects.

Part of me is really bummed, 'cause I essentially got dumped. But I also really understand where he's coming from, and I respect the fact that he was willing to stand up and say "Hey, I can't do this, you need better than I can give." Is it possible to be understanding and a little bitter all at once?

So... Technically, I'm back on the agent hunt.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
He's making a few phone calls to some other agents he is friendly with, to see if they can/want to take me on (I think he's calling G!nger Cl@rk as one of them, which would make me Blonde's agent buddy!) and I may make a few inquiries to some other agents myself.

*hugs Tas again* I forgot to mention in the other thread that G!nger is in London this week, just as an FYI. She is awesome and you will be in good hands if she and you do decide that you're a good match.

I know it's tough to have to start the agent hunt again, but this time you are armed with your publishing deal and having a LOT of agented/published friends who can help you with recommendations and feedback on their agents. You can do it!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Huge hugs and tons of solidarity, Tas. I am confident you will find an agent who is a good fit and am hoping you can turn this into a positive.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Things all come right in the end.

As of today, I am now repped by G!nger Cl@rk. I can honestly say I've been blown away by her energy and enthusiasm. Looking forward to whatever comes next.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Anne! Still have to say, I'm smitten with your cover.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Thanks! He it will look even more gorgeous at the bigger size, of course ;)

I'm seeing the Robot Overlords in a couple of weeks - I must ask them what finish they're planning to use on the cover. Semi-matt/satin would be nice - it's more usual for B-format, rather than the glossy finish used on most A-format editions.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Tiny awesome: Got an @ message in Twitter last weekend while I was away, from a total stranger, who complimented FoH and asked about book 2. I replied yesterday with an apology for the delay (fan tweets = :snoopy:; I always reply to them). She Tweeted back:
Cool! Absolutely love Giulia - great book! *applauds, throws jelly beans*
I've never been showered with jelly beans in praise. I like it. :D

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, jelly beans!

(Fan tweets are the best!)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Well, in addition to my reading at a convention this weekend, I have two panels and another reading in late October.

Sorry to keep y'all in the dark - I only found out myself a couple of days ago, and this week has been a bit manic, since I'm off to Venice immediately after the first convention :D

Last edited:

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Still kinda waiting on news myself. Mostly for The Editor to tell The New Agent whether or not my sales have been any good. (new statement should be coming around October 1, regardless) New Agent is frantically getting ready for Frankfurt, so I'm not gonna poke too much until that's all over.

I have vague hopes of news from Frankfurt, but since New Agent just took me on, I doubt she's really had time to work up anything for me yet. The sucky thing is, I have no idea if Ex-Agent tried to pimp me over there, and no one was interested, or if it just didn't happen.

It's discouraging, not knowing where you stand. I mean, if someone would tell me "Hey, you're the laughingstock of the UF world" at least I'd know. Y'know?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Venice! I has a jealous. Pictures, please!

I have a surprise signing and reading on Oct. 13--through a casual AW contact a year ago, then a re-contact this summer. Kind of nice for a book that's been out since February.

The Agent says he loves my latest book's rewrite, but he's going to be a few weeks with it because he's going to Korea. I has another jealous. :tongue The farthest I'm going lately is the grocery store.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
It's discouraging, not knowing where you stand. I mean, if someone would tell me "Hey, you're the laughingstock of the UF world" at least I'd know. Y'know?

Aw, I'm sure it's not that bad. You'll be fine once you've settled in with New Agent :)

@Callalily - there will be pictures, and bloggage. It's a combined research trip for Book 2 and 5th wedding anniversary celebration. But don't tell the taxman about the latter! ;)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm not going to be Ranty McRantyPants about foreign rights sales. But I feel ya. :e2zipped:

Yeah. But you're hardly a laughingstock. It's tough being in that weird place where your books are reviewed well, but you aren't sure if sales are quite good enough.

And even books that *seem* to be doing well might not meet our publisher's expectations of well enough to renew contracts. :(

*passes the rum*

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Chaos got the party rolling :D

Also jealous about Venice.

Fingers crossed for all the new projects, new partnerships, and Frankfrt (of course)

I've just finished with line edits (probably got a few odd pages back and forth, then done). MS goes to copy eds next week. Mr. A's ramping up for Frankfrt, I'm cracking on with bk2. S&S had their Fall '12 in-house launch for all the kids imprints yesterday, so hopefully the fun, exciting stuff (covers, etc) will be coming next.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I got a copy of my page in MI's winter 2012 catalogue (I needed it for a quick promo). I'm page 4 this time; last time they used my cover art and I was page 2, but I was a debut then.

Shall we have a group libation to the publishing gods/demons tonight? I'm thinking wine and coffee are appropriate choices.