The Tenth Circle

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Erin, I am jealous and happy for you! :) I have a Sept 1 deadline to get a clean draft to Agent for her NYC trip. I've made up a schedule and had a wonderful breakthrough last week and now I'm doggedly writing every day. It seems I always have to write the wrong book first before I can write the right one. But I am sooo looking forward to typing The End. And meaning it this time.

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
I'm back!

I lost my password and then insanity followed...

First off, my novel THE FIRST DAYS is out on July 5! Yay!

Second, it got a starred review in Publishers Weekly. Yay!
http://astheworlddies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/THE-FIRST-DAYS-PW-Review-Small-File.pdf

Third, the cover art for my second book in the series is beautiful and I just got the ARCs.
fightingtosurvivecover.jpg

And last, I'm now writing full time!

I'm supposed to get the revision letter on the third book very soon. I'm excited to jump in and get going.

Anyway, its good to see good things happening here!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back!

I lost my password and then insanity followed...

First off, my novel THE FIRST DAYS is out on July 5! Yay!

Second, it got a starred review in Publishers Weekly. Yay!
http://astheworlddies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/THE-FIRST-DAYS-PW-Review-Small-File.pdf

Third, the cover art for my second book in the series is beautiful and I just got the ARCs.
fightingtosurvivecover.jpg

And last, I'm now writing full time!

I'm supposed to get the revision letter on the third book very soon. I'm excited to jump in and get going.

Anyway, its good to see good things happening here!

Congrats! I'm looking forward to this series.

soopykun

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Rhiannon! What an amazing and surreal feeling that must be, to see the actual cover art!

Just popping in to say hello to y'all! In between the game tonight (go canuckleheads!) and going through notes from my editor and trying to settle in for my first revise, I've pretty much chewed all my fingernails off.

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a gorgeous cover Rhiannon. Congratulations!!

I've finally heard something from my publisher via my agent. Contract should be executed next week and I should receive the editorial letter at the beginning of July. Since the book is launching Sept. 1, 2011 (!!) I pray the edits aren't extensive.

I'm relieved that things are moving forward and scared that things are moving forward. :tongue I've got 2 weeks to get my WIP finished before the editorial pages arrive. Oh god what if she wants tons changed? I can't do it! I'm sick of that book. My brain has stopped working.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just as weird as me fretting over a week delay between emails of lower importance when I know that's his SOP.

Or not weird at all. Neither of us. <-- I'm going with this option. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Heh. I mean, it's not like it's a super important phone call. Just us chatting about the state of current contracts and future projects, but....maybe it's because we mostly communicate via email and I generally hate talking on the phone? :p

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I've finally heard something from my publisher via my agent. Contract should be executed next week and I should receive the editorial letter at the beginning of July. Since the book is launching Sept. 1, 2011 (!!) I pray the edits aren't extensive.

I'm relieved that things are moving forward and scared that things are moving forward. :tongue I've got 2 weeks to get my WIP finished before the editorial pages arrive. Oh god what if she wants tons changed? I can't do it! I'm sick of that book. My brain has stopped working.

Excellent news - and I thought my publisher was fast!

I know those contradictory feelings - I'm seeing my editor at a convention next weekend, and I still don't know for sure if the manuscript is going straight to copyediting or if he wants some tweaks. I'm hoping not the latter, as I'm really trying to focus on Book 2 right now!

@ChaosTitan - I'm not scared of my agent, but then I met him at Easter and the first thing he did was apologise for not having spoken to me sooner and give me a big hello hug :)

(We Brits are a lot less reserved than you've been led to believe...)

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Is it weird that after three years, I'm still super-nervous about talking to my agent on the phone?

I'm glad you said this because I'm nervous talking to mine too via phone. I don't know why...maybe because I tend to run off at the mouth and I'm worried I'm going to say something that'll make her not like me because I adore her. But she's really great, we're on the same wavelength about books. She's British, Anne. I can't say enough good things about her. Our last conversation was pretty good.

But we have this hanging up thing, where I don't know how to end the conversation and she is waiting for me maybe. I dunno. Eventually, I'm like "Okay, bye!" *get off the phone before she realizes what a mistake she made!*

I hope it gets easier.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
You'll be fine - we're a forgiving lot, as a rule :)

I just found out via Google Alerts that my book is now listed for pre-order on the Random House website, publication date 28 Feb. The first paragraph of the blurb is garbage (I swear that publishing is some mad game of Chinese Whispers), so I've emailed Angry Robot to see if it can be updated, but still...

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780857662149

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Yay, Anne! So exciting!

God bless my agent. He's terrific at talking me down off metaphorical ledges and making perfect sense while doing it. The revised YA is going back out next week to new editors, so here's hoping this version is much improved!

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in ages. I read all the time, but I'm like all shy or something. Well, not on sub either...

I wanted to add something to the talking-to-agent talk. Since I'm in Japan organizing a time and day is always fun. This last time it took two weeks before we finally got it worked out and he tries and tries to call and for some reason couldn't get through (since the earthquake the lines have been wonky). So I say I'll call him and there's another week or more of planning but we get it down. He'll be waiting by the phone at ten pm his time. Good.

So after getting everything taken care of here I still have an hour and a half, so I sit down on the couch and close my eyes to sort of relax and mull over what I want to say. When I wake up again it is TIME TO CALL! I wash my face, grab some water and sit down with the phone. However, in my panic I accidentally dial his fax. So I imagine him sitting there waiting for the phone to ring, it's late, he wants to get to bed and at about three minutes after ten his fax starts ringing. I just *know* there was an eye roll there.

I did manage to get through and we talked a good talk. Although a whole lot to digest. I now feel like Apu when he didn't sleep for 96-hours straight and thought he was a hummingbird. I'm pretty much useless to my family these days.

RhiannonFrater

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rhiannonfrater.blogspot.com
I really don't worry about talking to my agent. I really adore her and we're both very talkative. I always worry that I talk her ear off and keep her too long, but she's good at getting me off the phone without hurting my feelings. I used to get nervous about coming across as too needy or naive, but she has done a lot to make me feel that she's there for me and not to fret.

That being said, talking to my editor makes me nervous!!!

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't posted on here in ages. I read all the time, but I'm like all shy or something. Well, not on sub either...

I wanted to add something to the talking-to-agent talk. Since I'm in Japan organizing a time and day is always fun. This last time it took two weeks before we finally got it worked out and he tries and tries to call and for some reason couldn't get through (since the earthquake the lines have been wonky). So I say I'll call him and there's another week or more of planning but we get it down. He'll be waiting by the phone at ten pm his time. Good.

So after getting everything taken care of here I still have an hour and a half, so I sit down on the couch and close my eyes to sort of relax and mull over what I want to say. When I wake up again it is TIME TO CALL! I wash my face, grab some water and sit down with the phone. However, in my panic I accidentally dial his fax. So I imagine him sitting there waiting for the phone to ring, it's late, he wants to get to bed and at about three minutes after ten his fax starts ringing. I just *know* there was an eye roll there.

I did manage to get through and we talked a good talk. Although a whole lot to digest. I now feel like Apu when he didn't sleep for 96-hours straight and thought he was a hummingbird. I'm pretty much useless to my family these days.

:ROFL:I needed this.

Congratulations Anne! This thread is handy for that kind of news because, see, I found out my book was available for pre-order on Amazon and I thought that was a bad thing! (doh!) I thought I should have been told...or something. Anyway, I emailed everyone I know to pre-order.

Tenth Circle must be all about learning to let go of control and accept that these people know what they're doing--they've been doing it for a long time. Right?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annelyle.com
Welcome back, HC!

I've written a new blurb for my book (my publishers do spoil me so!), which should filter through to the various websites eventually. When that happens, I'll promote it more widely - I just don't want to draw attention to something that doesn't describe my book as well as I'd like.