The Tenth Circle

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Ladies, I spoke to my OH this morning (he's a non-fiction sales rep) and he confirmed my suspicions. The London Book Fair is mainly for English rights, so US agents will be going there looking to sell into the UK and Commonwealth (Aus, NZ, Canada) - traditionally, UK agents often handle all of these. (My agents do, for a number of big-name US fantasy authors.)

Frankfurt is where agents go to sell EU foreign language rights (French, German, Italian, etc, etc) and probably the former Eastern Bloc countries too. Not sure about other foreign markets - Beijing is apparently becoming prominent.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Anne. Now we know in which direction we need to channel our positive energies.

Did I mention that I GOT MY CONTRACT FROM S1MON AND SCHUST3R TODAY?????

:e2woo:

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lily!

I keep pinching myself. Daren't sign the copies in case I smudge the ink and ruin it.

It's surreal. I wrote my first novel when I was now 23. I'm now 37. I came close a couple of times but never crossed the finish line. I guess sometimes it just takes a while.

Getting a little teary-eyed (probably just hormones).

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, all! I've been crazybusy lately. I'll be in Australia next week and in New York two weeks after that - and somewhere in between all those trips I need to get a ton of promo work done for the release and finish my second book. Can I get someone else to be me until August? Meep.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I love my agent. I sent him a joing email that said I planned to officially hate him because he'll be at the London Book Fair and I'll be in Bflo... still... slogging at the Day Job. :tongue. He sent back that he'll be pitching FoH to foreign editors and has already packed a copy to show off.

:heart:

I suggested he bribe them with offers of my Killer Brownies.

Good luck!!!

Fingers crossed, Lily. Inkw3ll's gonna be touting my hide there, too. I'm trying not to think about it. Folk back home keep asking when they're gonna see my book in the shops. I have to keep saying--"urm... right at this moment? Never." Come on, London! You've got an ex-pat and an ex-nun over here! What more could you want?

Amen! :D

Ladies, I spoke to my OH this morning (he's a non-fiction sales rep) and he confirmed my suspicions. The London Book Fair is mainly for English rights, so US agents will be going there looking to sell into the UK and Commonwealth (Aus, NZ, Canada) - traditionally, UK agents often handle all of these. (My agents do, for a number of big-name US fantasy authors.)

Frankfurt is where agents go to sell EU foreign language rights (French, German, Italian, etc, etc) and probably the former Eastern Bloc countries too. Not sure about other foreign markets - Beijing is apparently becoming prominent.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!

Thanks, Anne. Now we know in which direction we need to channel our positive energies.

Did I mention that I GOT MY CONTRACT FROM S1MON AND SCHUST3R TODAY?????

:e2woo:

Woooohoooo! :D

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes, guys :Hug2:

HC--yikes, Mrs! Go see the Dolly the Sheep guys, they can clone you and then one of you can be writing for July while the other jet sets around the world and launches your wonderful book into the universe. :D

Happy, (if you're still around) can I ask... are you contracted for a July deadline or is it self-imposed?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
rosie - WOOT for receiving contracts! It makes everything start to feel that much more real, doesn't it? :)

The official back cover blurb for ANOTHER KIND OF DEAD is finally out there, so folks can find out what the book is about. 3 months, 13 days. Rah! I love this book, and I can't wait to see reactions to the--um, stuff. :D

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Chaos and:hooray:on your news! Have you posted the blurb on your blog? I popped across but didn't see it up. Noticed you're on the eastern shore, though. Woohoo. I'm in Annapo1is (waves to Chaos from across the Chesapeake).

Anne--I wouldn't stress. There's plenty of time for you to get out the message you want. I can see how it'd drive you crazy, though. My PM announcement had a huge effing spoiler right in the middle of it. I was like :eek: Don't be giving that away! Then I was like, whatever. Who the hell cares but me? Shrug. Interesting what you said on your blog about describing the novel, though. I'm in exactly the same boat. A fantasy with my own cast of creations--no vampires, werewolves, zombies, elves, dwarves or dragons in sight. Got a gutterscamp, though. They're pretty cute, even if they do carry screes. Itch. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
As long as the cover copy gets it right, Kelly -

Yep, they did. My editor is great about letting me take a pass at the copy. We both rewrote a good chunk for the second book, because the stuff marketing wrote up was pretty awful. :)

And misinformation sucks, but just think of it was awesome early chatter about the book. :)

Thanks, Chaos and:hooray:on your news! Have you posted the blurb on your blog? I popped across but didn't see it up. Noticed you're on the eastern shore, though. Woohoo. I'm in Annapo1is (waves to Chaos from across the Chesapeake).

I'll post it on the blog today. I wanted to wait because I'd just posted about my League post, and I didn't want to push it down the page right away.

I go out your way fairly often. You've got the best mall in two states. :D

Yesterday's parade of good things was also compounded by my agent selling audio adaptation rights for the first 3 Dreg City books!

:hooray:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Audio rights do seem to be a lot more popular - mine were included in the world English deal, since AR intend to release all their books on audio at some point.

In fact I simplified the invented languages used in my book, on the assumption that some poor sap (possibly even me!) will have to read bits of them aloud one day...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
In fact I simplified the invented languages used in my book, on the assumption that some poor sap (possibly even me!) will have to read bits of them aloud one day...

Hehe. I'm super curious how the narrator (whoever she may be) will do Smedge's voice, considering he's basically talking concrete. :tongue