The Tenth Circle

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Hey guys, how long did it take you guys to get yours? Did it come after the signed contract or before? Thanks! :)

The waiting never ends...

Before. My editorial letter for book one came very quickly, but I know part of the reason was my editor was going on maternity leave in a few months and was speeding the book into the production side of things before she was gone.

The editorial letter for book two came seven months after I turned in the manuscript.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
HC, My second set of revision notes came about two months after the offer. (I did one major revision before a formal offer.)

Any of you who have worked on galleys, how much did you change? I know of two bits I want to work on, but the manuscript has been edited so many times, I'm not sure I should try to change much more.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Any of you who have worked on galleys, how much did you change? I know of two bits I want to work on, but the manuscript has been edited so many times, I'm not sure I should try to change much more.

Galleys or copy edits? :)

When the galleys came, most of the errors I pointed out were missing words and format errors that happen when the manuscript is typeset. Generally, you can't make a lot of changes at this point, or it will literally cost you money. The only real changes I made were to the eye color of two different characters. For some reason, I had them mixed up and was glad to have caught that before it went to print.

Copy edits are the really the last, best time to make changes. Once you get galleys, it's mostly time for nitpicky stuff.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Galleys or copy edits? :)

Thanks! It's galleys. I posted in the Purgatory thread that I found out a map drawing is not going to make it into the ARCs, and I want to go over that scene to make sure a reader can understand the layout of the place without the drawing.

I also just realized the cover has the two boys in jeans, and I think I mention one of the boys wearing running shorts. It's set during a heat wave in August. Now I'm stressing about who's going to notice the discrepancy. Probably no one but me.:)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
My editor notes came quite a while after the contract. I think it went something like...hmm... Trying to remember..

Contract at the end of May
Notes somewhere in June? (original deadline was July 1, they pushed it back to October 1)
Turned the revisions in at the end of August
Official acceptance of revisions at the end of November
Copy edits due to me at the end of January I think.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Melia, the whole galleys question is another "It depends." I mostly stuck to nit-picky things as Tas mentioned but we did make a few bigger changes -- added a sentence, there was a sentence missing, changed a description -- and there were a LOT of these nit-picky things (I have a list on my other laptop -- I was very anal about the whole thing, which if you saw the state of my house, you would never guess about me).

But my publisher didn't have an issue with that and in fact they encouraged me to change what needed to be changed, with the idea that at this point they would be mostly small changes and corrections, not wholesale rewrites. Her attitude was, "this is your last chance to fix what needs to be fixed," even though it kind of wasn't, as it turned out. I mentioned this I think but after the proofer went through another time post-galleys (this thing has been gone over so many times by these guys, it's very comforting!), she had some questions for me to answer while I was in Shanghai -- and as far as I know the book had already gone to production. I found a mistake in the acknowledgments in the ARC (not mine) and was told to flag everything I saw (though at this point we are all assuming there isn't much). And I wasn't charged anything (at least as far as I know, so perhaps I'm in for a surprise ;) ). So I would ask your editor.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa. I've just finished a first run through and found 27 little things. Some of them are dropped words or letters, but a few are consistency issues from all the different revisions. I thought I had caught all those before, but NO!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Melia, it's just the way it is. I was constantly amazed that with all the attention various people had paid to the MS, things still got missed. My editor was wonderful at this ("your heroine's shoes changed in this scene") and yeah, inconsistencies because of rewriting definitely were an issue.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Melia, it's just the way it is. I was constantly amazed that with all the attention various people had paid to the MS, things still got missed. My editor was wonderful at this ("your heroine's shoes changed in this scene") and yeah, inconsistencies because of rewriting definitely were an issue.

LOL! I've got a shoe issue too. I used the word 'sneakers' early in the book, then I switched to 'tennis shoes' because that's the word I always use (showing my age).

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Hey, my heroine went from wearing black boots to counterfeit Pumas! Without the opportunity for a wardrobe change...

I went with the Pumas, because it's funnier.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Hey, y'all. I'm SO GLAD this thread is here. My NF book is coming out in October and I just finished my first revision pass with my editor...not as nervewracking as I thought it would be, but certainly getting closer to the "omg everyone in the publishing house has read this" phase.

Question: does this ever get less surreal? Because right now it's still very bizarre. :)

Also...my agent has started asking me about ideas for my next book. My reaction: vapid blinking and a deer-in-the-headlights stare. I'm hoping I'll be struck by inspiration (barring that, I'm ready to hunt some down with a shotgun!).

Anyway, I'm very glad to be here and to follow everyone else through the next circle of Hades....

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
So we are making more circles now? We're opening up a hole with no bottom, and lining up to jump in. *sigh* Writers make the best masochists...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a potential meltdown here. Now that I've found some mistakes in the galleys, I realized I don't know if the ARCs are printed from these before I correct them, or from the corrected version I'm sending back this week. I'm freaking out a bit because the ARCs I've seen all say 'uncorrected' somewhere on them. Anybody know this?

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
No second book in my contract, just an option (which I understand is pretty standard -- they reserve the right to look at my second book before anyone else). My agent, however, wants to strike while the iron is hot, and I'm game. I've submitted a few ideas and am awaiting his feedback. A great distraction while we wait for the next round of edits.

Oh, the waiting! A writer's bane. :D

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I'm having a potential meltdown here. Now that I've found some mistakes in the galleys, I realized I don't know if the ARCs are printed from these before I correct them, or from the corrected version I'm sending back this week. I'm freaking out a bit because the ARCs I've seen all say 'uncorrected' somewhere on them. Anybody know this?

Melia, my ARCS were printed from the corrected galleys -- they still say "uncorrected" on them but have actually been gone over by my editor, me, the copy-editor (I think twice, either that or the proofer is someone different).

Again, I wouldn't worry about asking your editor some of these questions, just to put your mind at ease.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
No second book in my contract, just an option (which I understand is pretty standard -- they reserve the right to look at my second book before anyone else). My agent, however, wants to strike while the iron is hot, and I'm game. I've submitted a few ideas and am awaiting his feedback. A great distraction while we wait for the next round of edits.

Oh, the waiting! A writer's bane. :D

Me too. I think when you aren't writing a series, it can actually be an advantage, though a little more of a roll of the dice.

I cannot wait to be done with this draft to see if I have a decent follow-up...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Again, I wouldn't worry about asking your editor some of these questions, just to put your mind at ease.

Thanks! This is what I get for starting the process on the weekend, when no one is around to bombard with emails. I'll send off an email on Tuesday.
:)