She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
my crit friend (disobedient writer here) recommended
Make a Scene and it has really helped to unstuck me
and see the novel in a diff way. since i tend to be a very
intuitive writer. melia, hooray!

kelle, i love copyedits!

someone in my house got next day turnaround.
she managed.
i can't remember how many days i got, but i don't
think 10. but it didn't take that long either. 300 pages
in 3 days or so is totally manageable.

Cindy, what's Make A Scene?

Also -- I got about 7 days (including weekends) for copyedits both times so far. But I didn't find them that painful. My editor line edits like CRAZY (which I didn't think I would like, but I actually prefer) so I basically read the pages aloud to myself and stet anything that doesn't feel like 'my' voice and I disagree with the changes. Most of the time I don't care about the changes, so I let them fly.

Have I mentioned that I <3 my editor? I really do. She's amazing.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Well done, Circle X. Well, I got publicly humiliated today trying to pretend to sell my work. And yes, I have a witness, a writers' group ally who wouldn't even stand up for me, and why should he? All the nights and weekends writing and none of it means a goddamn thing.
So I'm going to be rethinking my appearances here, especially as there are professionals here, and what I'm doing with my life.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Circle X. Well, I got publicly humiliated today trying to pretend to sell my work. And yes, I have a witness, a writers' group ally who wouldn't even stand up for me, and why should he? All the nights and weekends writing and none of it means a goddamn thing.
So I'm going to be rethinking my appearances here, especially as there are professionals here, and what I'm doing with my life.

Mario, what's happening????? Don't disappear!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
hc, yes! AND she had an almost newborn! yikes!

jill--Make a Scene is a book on improving your
novel by scene. i'm not good with thinking of
plot points and novel in it's entirety. BUT if you
talk to me one scene at a time, that i can deal with.
(well, i still get a bit confused BUT it's definitely
helped.) one of the best books i've read on improving
your story.

mario, what happened? =( *hugs*

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{mario}}} that sucks on toast--not just the script not selling, but the weaselly "ally".

Please don't leave! Please don't give up in the heat of the moment. Take a break, work on your car, do some home repairs (trying to think of guy de-stress things), but grind the Defeatist Monster into the dirt and use it as a stepladder to get your work back out there.

Kelle

Registered
Reaction score

I know I'm new but I'm a mom of two grown sons and I have to say something here. *puts on mom hat*

Mario--you had a bad day. Your friend let you down. It hurts. But try to think of it this way...

Let's say, you have a car. It gets stuck in some deep mud. Would you leave it there. Say, "Who needs a car? I'll ride my bike instead."? No! You'd call a tow truck to take it back home. Now it's on your driveway. It's all muddy. You wash it. You notice some scratches, so you buff them out and give it a good waxing. When you're all done, it's never looked better. Now you're glad it got stuck in the mud. You love your shiny car. It's better than ever.

That's what's going on for you now. This is your big opportunity. It's the moment you realize what you have to do. You have to write. Because that's what you are. You're a writer.

If you were one of my sons, I'd say, "Put on your favorite movie. Watch it and remember why you love what you do."

*takes mom hat off*

Please don't quit.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Both :mad: and :Hug2::

The former becaue the lawyers at my pub came back with changes to our already negotiated contracts. The latter because my agent rocks and got the negotiations in our favor where it counted. So now I have to sign them, again.

And some people think agents aren't necessary. :ROFL:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lily, *hugs* and /bootay shake!
hoorah for your awesome agent!
omg, i'd be so lost without mine!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Adding support to both Mario and Calla. What a rollercoaster ride this all is. Speaking of which...Callalily, you'll identify. It's "let's make a list of whom to beg for blurbs" week and the entire idea makes me a bit sick to my stomach! We'll see what happens (and who ends up on the shortlist).

One more thing: after squeeing far and wide about the audio rights to my book, I decided to go ahead and interview an audiobook reader to find out more about the process! The details (and a contest) here: http://theheroinesbookshelf.com/201...-interview-with-audio-superstar-lorelei-king/

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Both :mad: and :Hug2::

The former becaue the lawyers at my pub came back with changes to our already negotiated contracts. The latter because my agent rocks and got the negotiations in our favor where it counted. So now I have to sign them, again.

And some people think agents aren't necessary. :ROFL:

Changes on signed contracts? I didn't even think that was possible! Thank goodness for your awesome agent!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*melts into a relieved puddle* The Agent LOVED (his use of caps) the synop for book 2. My fingers were getting chewed to the first joint because I liked the way I'm planning the book and wouldn't know what to do if he shredded it.

*rolls up sleeves, girds loins, lays in a stock of very strong coffee* And away we go with book 2!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Damn, Lily! You're ON FIRE!

My own vague on-fireness: my book sold in Korea! Will wonders never cease. Curiouser and curiouser (though I'm really just trying to focus on writing my new book so I'm not so nervous)...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Damn, Lily! You're ON FIRE!

My own vague on-fireness: my book sold in Korea! Will wonders never cease. Curiouser and curiouser (though I'm really just trying to focus on writing my new book so I'm not so nervous)...

Congratulations!!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Phoenix, your agent and/or editor will tell you when it's cool to post the art. I had to wait a bit on mine until it was official.

So exciting! Can't wait to see it!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I got my ARCs today! Only four, but still, it's neat to hold them in my hands.