The Tenth Circle

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
THANK YOU Calla! I really needed to hear that :) The worst part was having to tell my editor. He was super nice about it, but still, I was so proud of myself for summoning the courage to ask this author. So it kind of felt like saying, "Hey Editor! Your brand new author got this awesome person to blurb her book! She is really Bringing It!" (You know, like how people in cheerleading movies are always "Bringing It"?) And then, later on, going: "JUST KIDDING! I am not Bringing It at all!"

Kind of embarrassing.

*Logically* I know it's not my fault, but still, it really helps to hear you say that.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I never had to go out and find my own blurbs, but there was one author who contacted me on his own to apologize that he wouldn't have time to do so due to family emergencies (he knew me from here on AW). I didn't even know he'd been asked, but the fact that he'd sought me out to apologize for something that obviously wasn't his fault always touched me.

Life happens, no publisher is going to be surprised by that.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Tas! That was definitely sweet of him to contact you. :)

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Hey, all. I'm glad you're still in the Circle, keeping the faith.

It's now been two years (!!!) since my book came out. Here's a summary of the wild rollercoaster ride: http://theheroinesbookshelf.com/2012/10/23/two-years-of-thb-a-to-z/

In good news, I think I've figured out my next project and my next workload. It will be hard, but it's good to have some direction, even if the second book blues are strong.

moonfairee

Registered
Reaction score
Great post, Erin. Love the A-Zs!!!

Best of luck on the next project!! :)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I announced it on my blog last week, but R0c is officially dropping the JJD series. I have every intention of going ahead and writing/self-publishing the last three, because I feel an obligation not only to my fans, but to my characters. Pondering a Kickstarter campaign sometime next year to fund some of the basic costs.

The Editor still wants to work with me, which is cool, so she's perusing a couple of my other series at the moment, but I know already that it'll be an "ebook first, print maybe" contract. At first, it seemed like a kick in the teeth, but the more I talk to people, and the more I look at what my JJD sales are actually doing right now, I'm starting to think that ebook may be the way to go for me.

I guess we'll see.

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Congrats, Flibble.

Tas, I am so sorry to hear that. I will say that it sounds like you can do a LOT with the ebook format. But still...I feel your pain. We're here as sounding boards, and I'm eager to know more about the transition.

taylormillgirl

Hopeless Romantic
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I announced it on my blog last week, but R0c is officially dropping the JJD series.

Tas, I'm so sorry to hear that. Your fans are very lucky that you're continuing the series on your own to give them closure.

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Sorry to hear that, Tas - I guess everyone's battening down the hatches these days :(

On a cheerier note, I got tagged in The Next Big Thing, so if any of you guys would like to join in (you'll get a link from my blog), PM me and I'll tag you when mine comes out next week!

An example, by my friend Lou Morgan, is here:

http://loummorgan.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/the-next-big-thing/

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's the Apocalypse, gang. Party now, because I have conclusive proof that the world is indeed ending:

K!rkus, which H-A-T-E-D FoH and BitH... *likes* VT.

Skipping the summary, it concluded with:

A former nun herself, Loweecey (Back in the Habit, 2012, etc.) infuses her complex heroine with all the knowledge and courage it takes to switch from the convent to crime fighting and pairs a solid mystery with a budding romance.
:e2thud:

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Okay, so I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot...but I have an agent and a book deal (digital-first). And now I'm floundering through what's next and looking for some guidance and perhaps sympathy.

So, first, I just completed changes from the copy editor. They weren't bad, but I was sort of horrified by some of the silly mistakes I made. I know better, darn it! And going through the manuscript, sometimes I felt like a total hack. Is that normal?

And, second, I wrote my dedication and acknowledgments. Totally surreal. Now I have a question about the etiquette for them--are you supposed to inform everyone you mentioned in them before the book is released? After release? Let them stumble upon it on their own?

Thanks for your help!
Signed,
Total newb

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Welcome!

I told most people that I was mentioning them in the acknowledgements, but I kept a few secret as a surprise.

Yes, the first time I saw the amount of copyeditor queries I was all :e2paperba. It's normal. :)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, ARoyce, and conga-rats!

Yes, you will always feel like a total hack. I say this being 3 books in. I'm still pretty sure somebody made a mistake somewhere when they offered me money for the things I scribbled on paper.

As for acknowledgements - The only time I really tell people that they're going to be mentioned is when I need to find out if they want their real name, or their online handle used. (some people care) Most of the time, I just let it be a pleasant surprise. It's also fun to see who actually READS those things, 'cause if they don't read them, they don't know. *nodnod*

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Thanks, lily and Tasmin! It's comforting to know writers still feel I secure after the sale...heck, after several sales.

And thanks for the feedback about acknowledgments. I think I'll mention it to the people closest to me, who were mentioned, and leave the rest quiet. Maybe.

Lily--congrats on the Kirkus review, btw! Very cool!

Tasmin--sorry about the series, but it's great that the editor wants to continue working with you.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Ah Tas, that sucks, but I'm sure you can move onwards and upwards.

Yes, you will always feel like a total hack. I say this being 3 books in. I'm still pretty sure somebody made a mistake somewhere when they offered me money for the things I scribbled on paper.

That sounds familiar....

It's also fun to see who actually READS those things, 'cause if they don't read them, they don't know. *nodnod*

Someone (can't remember the author name) dedicated a book to his Dad because 'he'll never read it anyway'. Made a running joke of it through the series.

Scribe66

Registered
Reaction score
:walks in and looks around:

Goodness, it's quiet in here! Hope someone might be lurking.

Hello, everybody, and a very long time no see, along with abject apologies! Since around March, I've been working hard on finishing my second book, which had a November due date, and I hit the panic button when one pivotal chapter took about 5 tries to get right! But it's done now, and I can emerge from the tunnel to say hi. I can tell just by looking at some of the previous pages that I've missed lots of developments, so let me just offer general congratulations or sympathies as needed to all denizens of the Tenth Circle. I hope to be around much more often in future.

Meanwhile, I have some news to share. After 14 months of waiting, W@ltz w!th a $tranger is out today! :snoopy::hooray::partyguy:

I'm thrilled, excited, overwhelmed, and more than willing to send good vibes to anyone who needs them. And would the chance to win a free copy boost morale as well? Because I'm having a giveaway here for commenters on today's post.

Last edited: