The Tenth Circle

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
My copy edits were actually on paper (as were the galleys). For the copy edits, I inputted them electronically, using the reviewer pane for notes and explanations, and I kept a separate document with the page numbers and all of the changes listed on it.

For the galley, Post-its to flag, with the change written on the page AND on the Post-it AND (because I have lousy handwriting) I did a typed list of those too. Plus I did something with a highlighter that I'm forgetting now as a way of making sure I didn't miss anything.

For a big ole' slob, I am a pretty anal writer.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My copy edits and galleys are both done on paper, as well. For the copy edits, I accept/deny corrections and answer questions directly in the draft, then mail it back. For the galleys, I make my corrections in the margins, then fax over only the marked pages--for which I am grateful, because it's one less thing to mail. Plus I get to keep the pretty galleys. :D

Ooooh, and I got something unexpected in the mail today (I think February is trying to make up with me) -- cover flats for AS LIE THE DEAD!!! I didn't get them for Three Days, so this was an awesome surprise!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
My copy edits were all with track changes. They're trying to go paperless.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, and I got something unexpected in the mail today (I think February is trying to make up with me) -- cover flats for AS LIE THE DEAD!!! I didn't get them for Three Days, so this was an awesome surprise!

Both my copy edits and first pass galleys were all paper, which I actually preferred, but it's a pain mailing them back.

Here's another newbie question: What's a cover flat?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the house. I have friends with Penguin that say that they're entirely electronic for edits/copyedits. S&S (or at least my branch) is 'old skool' and still works on paper because they think it's easier for authors. I agree that track changes could be pretty blinding if you're not used to it.

Melia, cover flats are just the work-up of how the final cover is going to look. It's like the cardboard wrapper of the book without the actual book inside it. Some authors tend to wrap a flat around a similarly sized book to see what the finished product will look like (because we're nerds like that). It's a marketing thing - they hand them out at sales presentations, send them to buyers, etc. I got a pack of 30 for each of book 1 and book 2, and I still have 29 of each sitting in a drawer, lol.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Melia, cover flats are just the work-up of how the final cover is going to look. It's like the cardboard wrapper of the book without the actual book inside it. Some authors tend to wrap a flat around a similarly sized book to see what the finished product will look like (because we're nerds like that). It's a marketing thing - they hand them out at sales presentations, send them to buyers, etc. I got a pack of 30 for each of book 1 and book 2, and I still have 29 of each sitting in a drawer, lol.

thanks! I wonder what they thought you would do with 30 of them? Origami?

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score

I dunno. Mail them out? Give them away? But yeah. they are sitting in my desk. ;)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen authors run contests for signed cover flats.

Wonder if I'll get any? *ponder* Saw in Penguin's July catalog (where my book is, yay!) that they've altered my cover just slightly to add the Simon R. Green blurb to the front. Makes me happy.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The back of the cover flat also has purchasing information (ISBN, publisher, etc...), author information, other titles, and marketing stuff. It's kind of cool!

Heh. Some imprints don't send cover flats at all, other send lots. It all depends. For Three Days, I didn't get any, even though I know they were sent out to booksellers and libraries and such. It's why I was so surprised to get some for this book.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
The back of the cover flat also has purchasing information (ISBN, publisher, etc...), author information, other titles, and marketing stuff. It's kind of cool!

I think it depends on the publisher - mine didn't have any of that.

OTOH, a lot of publishers also send out ARCs to both authors and big name reviewers. I didn't get any ARCs at all - they sent them all to reviewers. I am, however, swimming with author copies. Like a ridiculous amount.

BTW - you can see the Penguin and Harpercollins catalogs online. I snoop in both far too often.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I think it depends on the publisher - mine didn't have any of that.

OTOH, a lot of publishers also send out ARCs to both authors and big name reviewers. I didn't get any ARCs at all - they sent them all to reviewers. I am, however, swimming with author copies. Like a ridiculous amount.

It's amazing how things vary, isn't it? :) Like you, I didn't get any ARC's, but got 30 author's copies.

Of course, it seems Dell/Spectra mostly doesn't do the book-like ARC's. They mail out bound versions of the galleys.

(who's got the off-switch for this blizzard, anyway?)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Question for Chaos and Irys and other Circle denizens who have books out there: How did your pub handle signings? My experience in marketing makes me paint a scenario such as: I head to local places, perhaps my college campus/my son's campus, and places where I have connections (where I grew up, etc.). Most of those places are within a 3-hour drive, so my out-of-pocket costs are limited. (I have no illusion that they're going to front the costs of a signing tour for a debut.) Did you do anything like that? Thanks.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've only done one signing so far, and I handled the entire thing. I contacted the store, talked to their community events coordinator, gave her the information she needed to advertise, etc... I gave the info to my in-house publicist to use as she saw fit (I think it was mentioned on the Spectra Facebook page), and I did my own local advertising.

I also made sure my agent was in the loop on the whole thing. My only real expenses were gas, lunch, and the candy I took for the employees (for which I received lots and lots of thanks--that's a handy tip, too. Feed the employees of the store that's hosting you). It was a lot of fun and not as scary as I thought it would be.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I'm just starting this process. It is odd! The in-house publicist does the bookings although I will handle a few things on my own. He's given me feedback on what events he thought made the most sense and says they will provide...flyers? Books? Bookmarks? I'm not sure about that bit. I am focusing on a few places on the West coast (a few better known indie bookstores in LA, San Diego & San Francisco). I really have no idea how or what will happen so tips are deeply appreciated! Still a few months out from this but it's starting to get close.

Lily, did they have you fill out an author questionnaire?

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks, Chaos and Lisa! My editor said they're revising their "welcome package" and I should get it soon. I presume a questionnaire and such will be in there, because their website has a page with author pics and bios.

I'm a year out from this, but I'm nothing if not anal. :) My librarian has said to talk to her when the release date gets closer, so I hope to do something there in addition to hoofing it to local bookstores. All that acting experience will come in handy--I can be charming when I choose. :D I'm keeping my agent in the loop about big general things (how much they wanted cut; he asked what specifically I deleted) so I'll def. be looping him in on the rest. kimmi (Little Red Barn) has promised me her info on bookmarks and such if I need it (her now-defunct pub didn't provide anything, alas).

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Re: signings -- I didn't ask to do any, and the publicist didn't offer any (though it might have been different if I had asked to do them).

Another author and I have talked about doing a joint signing in April or some such -when that time rolls around, I'll just loop in my publisher but otherwise handle myself.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
It's gonna be awesome, Kelly, I just know it. ;)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I can't believe I'm drinking coffee right now. I'm already jittery. It wasn't this bad when I was on sub the first time around, because I didn't know when I'd hear anything....