The Tenth Circle

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Haha - well, the portal was an eye-opener at least. I like having the info, though. Even if it means nothing, I still like having it. ;)

And thanks you guys!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
As of today, I'm waiting for a one-two punch: I'll be on sub next week with the new book and I'm also waiting for the Big 4 to review BitH.

If you want me, I'll be in a dark corner, whimpering and clutching a bottle of cranberry-infused vodka.

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
Happy book B-day to Iris and Chaos :D

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around much. Finishing up book 2 for the Agent. Want it done by November. Been slogging on it for about 10 months now, but it's feeling really good.

Copy edits are done on Stormdancer. Think I get to see roughs of my UK cover this week. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
That's very awesome, Anne! And don't let the Second Book Syndrome get to you -- second books are tricky bastards that try and make your writing life miserable sometimes. I think the weight of expectations and suddenly writing for an audience is what does it.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Tell me about it Anne. It's driving me nuts! (It's keeping the voice on an even keel that's killing me) Gratz on the Fantasy Faction thing. Nice to see a few faces/names on there I know.

I can post in here now:D Ofc I can't tell you why, or I'd have to kill you all.

But I had to bloody well say something!

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Posting this here, where the audience is smaller.

Odd author-perception story: The place in Canada we used to go to for vacation every year (till Mr. Lily joined the ranks of the unemployed) called to see if they wanted us to hold our usual rooms. In the midst of this polite conversation, I mentioned that in book 1 I riffed on the favorite saying of one of the staff there. She asked what I write etc. and I told her that book 1 is in bookstores everywhere, including Toronto (they're 1 hour north). She asked if I wrote under my real name, and then said she'd go to her bookstore and check it out.

I said that it's also available online at Amaz and BN. Her response: "Oh, I don't consider that "real" publication."

Yowch. I didn't want to lecture her on how many books are available in print and e, but I was surprised at this perception.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
That mentality is still out there, that online venues are only for unpublishable hacks. That e-books are not "real" books. Maybe they think the same way about indie films, indie music labels, indie restaurants...
Screw 'em.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Well, the part I find strange is the not understanding that the books available in your bookstore are also available at Amazon and B&N. But as I said in another thread, I have trouble with the appropriation of "indie" for self-publishing. An "indie" author is not equivalent to an independent press/film/music label, IMO, where there's a third party and vetting and collaborative effort involved. This is not a knock on self-publishing as a whole -- I plan to do it some day myself -- but I take issue with that term (along with "legacy publishers," which I find very annoying).

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I dislike "legacy" as well. It's a very disparaging term in software development, implying code that's outdated and too badly written to maintain - basically stuff that's so broken, you are better off throwing it away and starting again from scratch. Which is no doubt what a lot of SP writers are advocating *sigh*

TBH, though, there is an undeniable difference between epublishing, which is this intangible image on your computer screen, and a real physical book on the shelves of a library or bookshop. I'm not saying epublishing isn't "real" publication, but on a purely emotive level, there's nothing like holding a real book in your hands :)

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
yeah, I finally did take the K1ndle plunge, and for me, it's not bad as a reading experience...but it's not as good as a paper book. I find that my focus isn't as good and I tend to skim more. For convenience and for travel, for trying samples of authors (love that first chapter free feature), all that, it's great, but I don't find that I savor books the same way.

I don't believe that eBooks will supplant paper books. To some extent, yeah, but I think they will supplement more than cannibalize. From what I've read, eReader owners buy more books, period.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yeah, I hesitated long and hard. But finally did it because of things I needed to read that were more readily available, and, you know, the write-off.

Like I said, for me, it's...not bad. But I'd rather read a paper book.