On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Eep.

My editor asked me if I knew any mystery writers whom I could beg to blurb. Alas, I know UF, fantasy, and YA writers. I did suggest trying to contact J0hn D0minic Cr0ss@n. After, all, what 74yo ex-priest radical theologian NF author *wouldn't* want to blurb a beach read about pr0n pictures, stalkers, and a repressed ex-nun?

She told me she was glad she'd put down her soda before reading that email.

Last edited:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Eep.

My editor asked me if I knew any mystery writers whom I could beg to blurb. Alas, I know UF, fantasy, and YA writers. I did suggest trying to contact J0hn D0minic Cr0ss@n. After, all, what 74yo ex-priest radical theologian NF author *wouldn't* want to blurb a beach read about pr0n pictures, stalkers, and a repressed ex-nun?

She told me she was glad she'd put down her soda before reading that email.

Go for broke and list the big ones. For my blurbs I sent in a list of the top middle grade writers and then let my editor and agent make a decision. We'll see if any of the writers agree.

Here's some lists of some bloggers' top 2009 mystery picks.

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-of-2009-mystery-lists.html

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Prelim word is that my title may have to go. :( There's another book out there (a decade old, but...) with the same title. :cry: Oh, well. I always knew it was a possibility. We'll see what the legal types have to say.

ETA: A fellow MIer just emailed to say our editor gave her my book to blurb. :scared: But she says she's really enjoying it. Eep.

okay, Lily, you are bursting another bubble of mine. I always thought books were sent out to get blurbs after revisions were done -- is that not true?

And that stinks about your title -- hope it's not true!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ooh, thanks, Melia! My editor also said she's going out this weekend to scout bookstores for potential blurbers.

Phoenix, I've already done 2 rounds of revisions. Cut 9750-ish words. :e2thud: It heads to the copyeditor next.

I like my title a lot, but I'm not married to it. If it has to change, it has to change.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, thanks, Melia! My editor also said she's going out this weekend to scout bookstores for potential blurbers.

Your editor doesn't have any mystery authors that could blurb you? My blurbs came from ones I hunted down myself, but marketing wanted one in particular so my editor got that one for me.

What about your agent? Does he have any clients that could blurb a mystery?

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! Came home to find an e-mail from The Editor: Devil is going to be on a special display in B&N stores for their July fantasies (along with another book y'all might have heard of, RED HOT FURY)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Your editor doesn't have any mystery authors that could blurb you? My blurbs came from ones I hunted down myself, but marketing wanted one in particular so my editor got that one for me.

What about your agent? Does he have any clients that could blurb a mystery?

THe editor already gave it to one of her other authors, and my agent said he has a list and will get together with the editor. So I'm feeling all cocooned in attention right now. :)

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Prelim word is that my title may have to go. :( There's another book out there (a decade old, but...) with the same title. :cry: Oh, well. I always knew it was a possibility. We'll see what the legal types have to say.

Bummer on the title. I really like your current one, but I'm sure you can think of something even more awesome if you do have to change it. :)

Oooh! Came home to find an e-mail from The Editor: Devil is going to be on a special display in B&N stores for their July fantasies (along with another book y'all might have heard of, RED HOT FURY)

How cool is that? :)

THe editor already gave it to one of her other authors, and my agent said he has a list and will get together with the editor. So I'm feeling all cocooned in attention right now. :)

How exciting!!!!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Tas, how awesome!!! There's a really big Barnes and Noble not too far from me (in Santa Monica) -- I will be looking for that!

My morning was just nuts with pre-release book stuff. I didn't even get to my lovely agent's notes on the revised partial until this afternoon. I'm not even working and I don't have time to do all this stuff! Madness, I tell you. Madness.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, very cool! A book dump! They wuvz you. ;)

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Wow, congrats all!

I can finally announce my fun news...my book's audio rights sold! Blackstone Audio will be making the audio version. I have a feeling this entire process will be just as bizarre as the publication process!

:hooray:

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, congrats all!

I can finally announce my fun news...my book's audio rights sold! Blackstone Audio will be making the audio version. I have a feeling this entire process will be just as bizarre as the publication process!

:hooray:

Congrats!!!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Yay, erin and Tas! :D

I finally got some "news" yesterday that I don't quite know how to take yet. Without going into detail, there's some internal stuff happening at my publisher that may make a new contract...difficult. Or at least, not something that will happen for many more months yet. :(